Drilling stock thermo..pic and ?

WOMACK03

Whipple Powered
Established Member
Just did it this afternoon, along with a good cleaning\flushing of the cooling and innercooling systems.
I had purchased a "Fail Safe" tstat, and sure enough, it had a shorter and smaller bypass section.(shakes head in disgust)
I went to Ford an got an o.e.m. replacement($35.00), drilled 3 1/8" holes: Sucess!

I have not run a thermostat for the last 8 months, with no issues, but it feels good to have it set back up properly. I am seeing about 30 degrees difference (210 with no tstat -170 with the drilled stocker).

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Great info here.. Thanks for the good read fellas:beer:

So what would be a good temp for the fan to kick on?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just did it this afternoon, along with a good cleaningflushing of the cooling and innercooling systems.
I had purchased a "Fail Safe" tstat, and sure enough, it had a shorter and smaller bypass section.(shakes head in disgust)
I went to Ford an got an o.e.m. replacement($35.00), drilled 3 1/8" holes: Sucess!

I have not run a thermostat for the last 8 months, with no issues, but it feels good to have it set back up properly. I am seeing about 30 degrees difference (210 with no tstat -170 with the drilled stocker).

Pretty dramatic once that bypass gets blocked off properly isn't it?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Well guys the results were great!

Drilled qty 3 1/8th " holes.

Before cruising temps with no ac on in 95+ degree heat were 88-91 C

Same conditions crusing (with holes drilled in) my ECTs are solid 84 - 86 C

Great free mod! And my bypass stays intact :rockon:
Nice results Erik! I may have to try this. Sounds like a better way to go.

I am seeing about 30 degrees difference (210 with no tstat -170 with the drilled stocker).
Wouldn't 210-170=40? :??:

Just busting your chops Jason! :beer:

But 170 is actually TOO cold for an engine to stay at. 180-185 seems to be the sweet spot!

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
But 170 is actually TOO cold for an engine to stay at. 180-185 seems to be the sweet spot!

170 is ok for coolant if you can get it to run there. You just want to make sure the oil gets up to 180 or so.

I run 4 1/8" holes in the stock stat and my car runs about 177 on the highway. It only gets above 195 in traffic when it is over 90 degress outside, or on track.

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh and one more thing... if you drill holes in the thermo the stock stat will never fully open and block off the holes in the shaft which will allow coolant to flow through the bypass anyway :shrug:

What we need is for someone to make a proper f#$%! thermostat for these cars!

02reaper

Established Member
Oh and one more thing... if you drill holes in the thermo the stock stat will never fully open and block off the holes in the shaft which will allow coolant to flow through the bypass anyway :shrug:

What we need is for someone to make a proper f#$%! thermostat for these cars!

Aside from what has been posted on here, drilling holes in the stock thermostat will still allow it to open fully. Actually, the stock thermostat is FULLY open at 190-195 degrees. I have tested this over and over and over again. Also, the thermostat doesn't have to be fully open to completely block off the bypass. When you first put the thermostat in, the bypass is being preloaded a bit already. Regardless, even if a little fluid was seeping by the bapass with the stock thermostat, its is no where near what the aftermarket thermostats allow to flow by. I agree on someone needing to make the proper thermostat, but when I talked to the Stant tech, and asked him if there was interest in making us a lower temp thermostat, he said NO. Someone with some pull may have to help us out in that department.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Jimmy, good to see you posting again, glad the testicle removal went well.

J/K Welcome Back! :rockon:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Aside from what has been posted on here, drilling holes in the stock thermostat will still allow it to open fully. Actually, the stock thermostat is FULLY open at 190-195 degrees.
Even if the stock thermo is fully open at 195, although many have said it's not, the coolant will rarely ever see that temp with holes drilled in the thermo, usually 180s or lower. You see what I'm saying, no matter what you do some bleed through the bypass is unavoidable. At least with an aftermarket unit, your warm up time is unchanged.

02reaper

Established Member
Even if the stock thermo is fully open at 195, although many have said it's not, the coolant will rarely ever see that temp with holes drilled in the thermo, usually 180s or lower. You see what I'm saying, no matter what you do some bleed through the bypass is unavoidable. At least with an aftermarket unit, your warm up time is unchanged.

I totally agree that some bleed through is going to happen. Just note that no matter what, the stock thermostat in any position is probably letting much less coolant bypass the radiator than the aftermarket thermostats available. If anything I should be biased towards the aftermarket thermostats. Just doing this test has cost me about $75 from buying all the thermostats and stuff. I just can't knock the stock thermostat for doing the job the best in this situation. :beer:

black 10th vert

Established Member
subbing... this is getting very interesting! Thanks for doing this research, and posting it, guys!

WOMACK03

Whipple Powered
Established Member
Pretty dramatic once that bypass gets blocked off properly isn't it?

Yes Jimmy, it was an immediate change, and the results were pretty dramatic.
I'm sure that many people are running aftermarket t-stats, or none at all, without any major issues, but they are not taking full advantage of their cooling systems. Also, I and am very disappointed with the auto part aftermarket. Just because it fits in the housing, doesn't mean it belongs there!(that was my PIITB joke for the morning)

I don't think that our cooling systems are setup for failure, even with the wrong, or no t-stat, but it is less than optimal: For sure.

It is way to easy to do this simple modification, and gives us all a good excuse to flush our cooling systems. It is a win:win. Thanks to all the people that took the time and did the research on this of many Terminator boondoggles.:beer:

WOMACK03

Whipple Powered
Established Member
Wouldn't 210-170=40? :??:

Just busting your chops Jason! :beer:

I posted 210 as my max, but it rarely ever got up there. I am seeing a DELTA of about 30 degrees average.

P.S. I hope to see you at the new gtg tonight.(call me if you need a ride.)

02reaper

Established Member
Yes Jimmy, it was an immediate change, and the results were pretty dramatic.
I'm sure that many people are running aftermarket t-stats, or none at all, without any major issues, but they are not taking full advantage of their cooling systems. Also, I and am very disappointed with the auto part aftermarket. Just because it fits in the housing, doesn't mean it belongs there!(that was my PIITB joke for the morning)

I don't think that our cooling systems are setup for failure, even with the wrong, or no t-stat, but it is less than optimal: For sure.

It is way to easy to do this simple modification, and gives us all a good excuse to flush our cooling systems. It is a win:win. Thanks to all the people that took the time and did the research on this of many Terminator boondoggles.:beer:

I couldn't have said it better myself.:beer:

02reaper

Established Member
Sorry to all you people that bought the 170 degree stant and are now changing it out. If it makes you feel any better, I have about $75 tied up in all of this, from buying all of the thermostats, coolant, temp tester, water, just trying to help out the community.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Actually, the stock thermostat is FULLY open at 190-195 degrees. I have tested this over and over and over again. Also, the thermostat doesn't have to be fully open to completely block off the bypass.

No, throw the thermostat into a pot of water and measure the temp. It cracks open at 195, and fully opens at 210-212. The bypass does seem to seal at about 190 though. There is always going to be some leakage through the bypass.

If yours opens fully by 195, it is not a stock stat.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I posted 210 as my max, but it rarely ever got up there. I am seeing a DELTA of about 30 degrees average.

P.S. I hope to see you at the new gtg tonight.(call me if you need a ride.)
I know you know the math Jason! Hell, you teach college chemistry for crying out loud! :thumbsup:

I will be there in the Fusion. Just look for the 1 legged wonder on crutches! :lol1:

Free Chipolte FTMFW! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread