Embarrassed by association?

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
When I bought my car new there were the owners of the 03's and most 04's on here.

ALOT of useful information was being developed about the car, and good questions were being asked. The cream rose to the top and you could see the members that were valuable, and had or would get valuable information.

The car is, lets face it, old now.

So most the valuable questions have been answered, and the only ones that get asked anymore are frustratingly redundant.

Almost all of the old members who were valuable either have moved onto other cars, or dont get in here much. (Ironterp, 96stanggt, jimmysidecar, Boosted2000Si, among MANY others).

Termi has for some reason become an almost accepted term, and almost all the threads in here anymore are about "just bought a termi" or "thinking about buying a termi".

Those of us who still wanna learn and gain valuable information are being left behind by those who have moved on to other cars, or are taking a break.

Sucks.

True story, I learned everything I know about these cars from this forum and most of the people you listed there.

cobracide

Established Member
Yes, it's frustrating and embarrassing to read posts that no one can decipher. I'm not sure age would have much to do with this issue. Basic reading and writing is covered in school before the age of 16.

va boy

Established Member
It is a bit different now. I was on here all the time when I had my 95 Cobra, sold it in 2002, and took a hiatus. Now I am one of the "new" Terminator owners.
I try to be grammatically correct and not ask dumb questions. If you make a haibt of that, folks will not take you seriously. I use the heck out of the search function on here and have found 98% of my answers doing so.
So.........anyway, don't give up on us new Terminator owners just yet, we ain't all bad!
Love the site!

Jefe

Established Member
Blame the government/city leaders/school system not SVTP!!!

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I am rapidly becoming embarrassed by association. Am I the only one?
Do any of the rest of you CRINGE when you read what many new Terminator owners are writing about? :shrug:
Are you at all bothered by the seemingly sudden drop in the ability to communicate with the written word around here lately?

Am I the only one?

There is no way to say this without sounding egotistical or elitist.
I'm sorry, I do not believe that I am either, but I can not think of any other way to say this.

If people are going to assume that because you are a Terminator owner that there is a high probability that you are a complete illiterate MORON, then I'm pretty sure I am going to have to sell my car.
It's either that or I need to stop reading threads on here.

It seems like an overwhelming number of posters on here that are Terminator owners are(or communicate like) illiterate 15 year old kids.

OMG!

I am taking a break, someone e-mail me when it seems to improve a little.:nonono: Seriously!

[Vacation on]

So true..
I'm trying to sell right now Jimmy.
I think you know the real reason why..

My support person is taking on a second job.
The support person signs a contract with the hospital. It is assumed from that point on said person will be there especially after surgery for at least a six weeks minimum.

Everybody I know locally has a job..

I'm pulling up stakes here in the great state of Northern Kalifornia and moving to AZ.

My sister lives in Gilbert. She will be able to spend the time with me and will be my support person. At least I know she will be there for me.

Not really interested in a hot rod at this point. I'm just going to buy an old beater for emergencies. Maybe a H..Hon, I can't say the manufacturer. ;-)

Anyway, I can feel the intelligence being sucked out of my brain. The kids are now buying our beloved Terminators. kiddies buying fast cars that will most likely end up rolled up into a ball of metal, plastic and fiberglass.
Sad indeed.

It was fun while it lasted.....

I'll send you email when I'm settled.

Hope you're OK.

Jeff

hinds04

Established Member
As said before, as the price drops the owners get younger. However, you have to look at the fact that these are no longer original owners that have 6-7 years of knowledge of the car, therefore a lot of simple questions to others are still being taught to this "new generation" of owners. Most of the time I like to help out. I was new once too and some of the fun of finally getting your dream car is getting to ask these questions, show pictures, enjoy the car, and let people know. My advice, if you see a thread that says "best mods" or something else we are tired of seeing, do what I sometimes do and ignore it and get over it.

wjk

Established Member
I'm not sure this was mentioned however, in addition to younger people having access to these cars (including myself) there also comes the ability to write in on cell phones. I, for instance, write in all the time on my cell phone though I typically try to keep my posts structured as it is annoying to read poor grammar in any type of writing forum or not. I believe a lot of these posts that you are talking about do happen to come from cell phones in which people do not care about their errors because that is how they text message as well.

My prediction is that it can only get worse. Better get used to no capitalization, run on sentences, fragmentations, spelling errors, and abbreviations...

Btw, me likes abbreviations since they save time! That's the one thing I think most people should learn to accept.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a good point about cell phone usage, but even (most) smart phones have spell check. I know when I use my cell phone to post, which is rare, my spelling isn't perfect because the keyboard is small. But I still correct errors before submitting the post. It would help if everyone takes more care to make their posts understandable to others. There seems to be a growing trend of dropping punctuation and poor grammar. Some of it is just laziness. I've seen whole paragraphs without any punctuation at all, and no caps. Not easy to read/understand. My best advice is to proofread your posts before you hit the Post button. This isn't, of course, an English class, but some can certainly do a bit better for the sake of those who read these posts. JMO.

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
It's quite simple, if the newbs don't want to take the time to write properly or use punctuation, I won't take the time to help. I've been noticing this more and more recently. Use the search or at least type like you give a crap!

Last edited:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
as the car gets cheaper in value and falls into younger hands you will have a decrease in quality of owners.

Yep, we young whipper snappers (that will bury half of the old farts around here in terms of intelligence, productivity, and value) are such a downgrade in quality.

Don't associate age with quality. Associate "quality" with intelligence, education, and upbringing.

:fm::fm::fm::fm::fm::fm:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
What does no longer posting on SVTP or selling your car achieve? I'm just going to leave this here...

189784.1020.A.jpg

Seriously though, I do agree with most of you guys about the monotonous posting of basic questions by newbies. If only the new guys would read Cobra Bob's site and use the search function the world (SVTP) would be a better place. Truth be told when I have a question and use the search function, the post/thread containing the info I need is usually 5-7 years old. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board, you just have to search for it. :poke:

As for the topic of a younger generation now buying into the Terminator segment, that's just the way it is. These cars are (overall) decreasing in value thus opening the door to a new group of young buyers. With that comes their poor grammar and slang that is now popping up on SVTP. I really don't see how you can police this or stop it. :shrug: Degenerates are degenerates. Just ignore them.

greengt88

Established Member
I dreamed of owning an 03/04 cobra since i saw one @ Carlisle All-Ford Nationals, back in '02. I remember being awestruck by that Eaton/6spd. 7 envious years later I finally have one. I've now owned it for a full year, 3.5mos. of which were spent at Pompano Ford Body shop, b/c some jack bag on a cell phone didn't look and drove right into the side of me on I-95. Fixed up and better then new I'll never look back. I love this car. I've owned 10 other mustangs in the past 14yrs. but this cobra "terminator" is by far my favorite. It does everything I ever ask of it. It has been reliable and just all around a good car. I'll never sell it. No matter how many teeny boppers get their hands on them.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Yep, we young whipper snappers (that will bury half of the old farts around here in terms of intelligence, productivity, and value) are such a downgrade in quality.

Don't associate age with quality. Associate "quality" with intelligence, education, and upbringing.

Fine... I'll quote myself until the point settles in...

KILRSVT

Established Member
I have to agree with Jimmy to a point.... But like alot of members have said younger cobra owners are growing in numbers and with it comes a more careless etiquette when it comes to threads. I'm 24 and can't really afford to buy another sports car and I still very much like my cobra. I admit that some of the fellow terminators owners that I meet are "special"... And it tends to give us all a bad reputation. Especially the guys around my age

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Why not just hook up a spell check program to the "submit" button.

A posting will only be allowed a certain number of errors, and after that it is rejected for posting. And is sent back to the poster for a re-write. After the third failed submission a one week "bad spelling or punctuation" ban would be imposed. More severe penalties could be levied for even greater acts of stupidity.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Wow! I was expecting to flamed HARD! I can't tell you how encouraged I am by every one of these replys!

Look at the spelling and grammar in even the youngest guys posts! It is easy to read and understand and screams out in a loud voice I am an intelligent person who can carry on an intelligent conversation.

I LOVE helping people with their car problems, when I can. I enjoy it. I'm 58 years old and have been into high performance cars since 1968, which was well before I graduated in 1970. I've seen stuff.

BUT let's be a realist for a second here too, cars have never been more complicated than they are right now, they are going to get more, not less complicated with time.

I truly appreciate the back up you guys have just given me here because If I am going to be able to remotely diagnose car problems on the internet, I am going to need at least fair communication skills from the folks I help. If we politely ask people to clarify their posts so that we can understand them so as to help them, we may be able to make a difference here.

It bothers me to no end to come across rude when I am just trying to find out what people meant. I don't get off on putting people down. I am not a genius, but I am also not an idiot either. If I didn't have spell check I would not be able to do this, because I go way too fast.

A big part of this is generational, I will admit that. But I know for a fact that young people are no more stupid than some of the buffoons in my generation!
Just look at 1/2 the tards in Hollywood my age, if they haven't killed them selves yet. When 1/2 of them open their mouths commenting on life I have to laugh.

Not really sure where you're going with that one Jimmy.... Are you referring to te LOLs, OMGs and WTFs? If so, I think that's just a sign of the times. More people communicate through text, IMs, Tweets, Facebook updates, etc. than face to face. And that's accepted verbiage and is spilling over into everything else. I harass my daughter to spell out her words when we text because soon she'll be writing book reports with LOLs and "cuz" or "waz" or whatever.
I blame it all on La Niña!

NOPE, LOL, WTF, and OMG are all fairly fun recognizable internet acronyms, that's not the problem. This is a great point, I'm OK with the common stuff but the phone postings with no punctuation or capitalization is PURE TORTURE.

When I bought my car new there were the owners of the 03's and most 04's on here.

ALOT of useful information was being developed about the car, and good questions were being asked. The cream rose to the top and you could see the members that were valuable, and had or would get valuable information.
The car is, lets face it, old now.
So most the valuable questions have been answered, and the only ones that get asked anymore are frustratingly redundant.

Almost all of the old members who were valuable either have moved onto other cars, or dont get in here much. (Ironterp, 96stanggt, jimmysidecar, Boosted2000Si, among MANY others).

Termi has for some reason become an almost accepted term, and almost all the threads in here anymore are about "just bought a termi" or "thinking about buying a termi".

Those of us who still wanna learn and gain valuable information are being left behind by those who have moved on to other cars, or are taking a break.

Sucks.

Thanks for including me.

Your not been nice Jimmy.......

These poor guys just need help "getting there breaks fixed" or "noing were to by the goodest tyers"........

I LOLed!!:lol:

Thanks guys, you have restored my hope.:beer::thumbsup:

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Why not just hook up a spell check program to the "submit" button.

A posting will only be allowed a certain number of errors, and after that it is rejected for posting. And is sent back to the poster for a re-write. After the third failed submission a one week "bad spelling or punctuation" ban would be imposed. More severe penalties could be levied for even greater acts of stupidity.

^^ :lol: Thats excessive, but I can appreciate your position/get your point.

I recall when I first joined/got my cobra. I spent soooo much time on this board without posting. I think everyone can agree, there is more to read than there is to talk about. Thats what happens with a compilation of information.

There really is no policing this site, so when you come across a thread that seems worthless (to you of course) just bypass it. I was labeled an "SVT junkie" about 1.5 yrs ago (wife/sister/brother - also has a terminator) and they all noticed that I spend very little time on here now. Really nothing new to read of great interest.

Hottest topics:
-E85
-Caged Lower
... and still waiting on that TVS blower.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I am rapidly becoming embarrassed by association. Am I the only one?
Do any of the rest of you CRINGE when you read what many new Terminator owners are writing about? :shrug:
Are you at all bothered by the seemingly sudden drop in the ability to communicate with the written word around here lately?

Am I the only one?

There is no way to say this without sounding egotistical or elitist.
I'm sorry, I do not believe that I am either, but I can not think of any other way to say this.

If people are going to assume that because you are a Terminator owner that there is a high probability that you are a complete illiterate MORON, then I'm pretty sure I am going to have to sell my car.
It's either that or I need to stop reading threads on here.

It seems like an overwhelming number of posters on here that are Terminator owners are(or communicate like) illiterate 15 year old kids.

OMG!

I am taking a break, someone e-mail me when it seems to improve a little.:nonono: Seriously!

[Vacation on]

Well said! I've been on very infrequently the last several months, yet it seems every time I log on it's evident the IQ level of many new owners/poster's is substantially less than I remembered.

as the car gets cheaper in value and falls into younger hands you will have a decrease in quality of owners.

Yep, it's bound to happen.

I'm not sure this was mentioned however, in addition to younger people having access to these cars (including myself) there also comes the ability to write in on cell phones. I, for instance, write in all the time on my cell phone though I typically try to keep my posts structured as it is annoying to read poor grammar in any type of writing forum or not. I believe a lot of these posts that you are talking about do happen to come from cell phones in which people do not care about their errors because that is how they text message as well.

I agree to an extent. There's been times I've posted from my phone and realized I butchered an entire sentence, but I go back and fix it. Occasionally Swype will get me and I'll misspell a word or miss a comma, but the posting of late from some of the newer members is on a totally different level.

Don't get butt hurt over it man, it's a general stereotype thats as a majority is correct. The "younger" crowd is going to generally be a less respectful, less educated, less mature crowd who's more likely to break the rules or just not pay attention to them at all. Mind you I'm saying this as a 25 year old who bought his Terminator at 19. So I'm in said bracket.

I think the snub towards the younger crowd now is there is generally a bit of a difference in the 18-20 year old that can buy a $25k-$30K car vs the 18-20 year old who had to wait until that car dropped down to $15-$18 before they could afford it. The person that can afford to buy the car that cost nearly 2x as much at the same age most likely (again stereotype but generally correct) has a better job thus higher income. Landing said better job most likely came from being more mature, better developed social skills, better education, etc. Those qualities are easily noticed in the way a person carries themselve, not only in person but through text.

If you don't believe that then go browse any "ricer" forum then hop on 6speedonline, viperalley, mbworld, etc. Aside from a few pompous ass holes, the overall difference in posting will be very evident.......even with the younger posters.

Users who are viewing this thread