Facts About Royal Purple 5W-20 XPR Racing Oil

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I can understand why BP would attack Royal Purple for their style of advertising, but the claims RP made 15 years ago were not untrue. They just weren't telling you that those were the benefits of any true group IV PAO synthetic base stock, and Royal Purple wasn't the only one using it.

Now, where I do get bent is how they attacked Royal Purple for not having any engine lubricants that are API certified. If you recall, Royal Purple, Amsoil (top tier only), and Red Line all use true group IV and V synthetic base stocks. Please read the quote below to understand WHY they are not certified. It's not that they can't pass, it's because the API makes the certifications biased towards petroleum base stocks and prejudice against true synthetic base stocks.

Please also note:

Amsoil DOES have engine lubricants that are API, ISLAC, and Dexos certified. You will find that in their XL and OE line of lubricants. Want to know why they are certified, because they are formulated with cheaper group III "hydrocracked" petroleum base stocks.

Interesting, isn't it. Things that make you go...hmmmm! :read:

Any reason why I read a lot about RP shearing from UOA? It's in plenty of BITOG threads as well. :shrug:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Any reason why I read a lot about RP shearing from UOA? It's in plenty of BITOG threads as well. :shrug:

I've seen the UOAs on 5W-30 Royal Purple, and I agree there has been concern. This is another reason why they are not a suitable for extended oil drain intervals as Amsoil is. Of course, this isn't to say that it doesn't have excellent anti-wear protection, this just means it may not be suitable to use as long as other formulations. I've also noticed less TBN content on some Royal Purple blends.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Well, Angelina Jolie hitched a brief ride on the roof of a Royal Purple van in "Salt", so they have that going for them!! Good advertising!!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've seen the UOAs on 5W-30 Royal Purple, and I agree there has been concern. This is another reason why they are not a suitable for extended oil drain intervals as Amsoil is. Of course, this isn't to say that it doesn't have excellent anti-wear protection, this just means it may not be suitable to use as long as other formulations. I've also noticed less TBN content on some Royal Purple blends.

Oh well. I'm going to run it for one track day and toss it. :rolling:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
YA THINK!??

Ron you should have an oil test done, it could be very informative.

If you have the testing stuff available that is.

Been thinking of picking up a Blackstone kit just to check out how my oil looks after 1 or 2 events.

Users who are viewing this thread