Failure to wear seatbelt ticket, WHILE wearing seatbelt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Some input from LEOs on the subject of a 6 point harness would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Last edited:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
If the vehicle has both lap/shoulder anchors, the seatbelt must be worn in the manner intended which is lap belt on and belt over the shoulder.
If the vehicle does not have any anchors at all, no seatbelt is required to be worn.
If the vehicle only has a lap belt, only lap belt needs to be worn.
I personally don't see a problem with a six point harness at all.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
not an LEO, but ive read on here before that unless the harness is DOT approved, its not legal to wear. Schroth makes DOT approved harnesses.

Yup.

And I've to the OP I've been told to never fight a ticket in Ohio. You'll always walk out with more court fees than imaginable..lol

mdisalvo85

Established Member
I fought a ticket I had a little over a year ago and got off with just the court fee of 60 instead of the ticket...more of a plea bargain...but it worked.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
not an LEO, but ive read on here before that unless the harness is DOT approved, its not legal to wear. Schroth makes DOT approved harnesses.

Ditto. Not an LEO either, but I believe a non DOT belt/harness would likely be illegal in most states.

When I run race belts/harness in a car, I always retain the DOT stuff for ease of everyday usage.
It's less confining.
Goes on quicker.
Gets out of the way when your are done with it and getting out.
Plus I suspect that LEOs would probably think you had a brain injury or that you thought you were a real bad ass race driver, if they saw someone sporting a full harness, and to that I'll add, that I don't want or need any additional scrutiny.

FiaCobra

Established Member
I wear the belt under my arm also due to shoulder and neck problems. Got stopped in NC and was told it's "Improper use of a seat belt". He let me off however. Still drive like that.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Nice...after I pulled off with my newly acquired 81.00 revenue builder, I realized I probably could have had a warning if I said I had a shoulder injury or something bogus like that...guess I wasn't quick enough to the draw.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Nice...after I pulled off with my newly acquired 81.00 revenue builder, I realized I probably could have had a warning if I said I had a shoulder injury or something bogus like that...guess I wasn't quick enough to the draw.

And what happens when you are asked to document it in court?

FiaCobra

Established Member
And what happens when you are asked to document it in court?

If you go to court fighting a ticket with a bogus claim, you deserve to get punished. If you tell the cop on the side of the road a story, you have a 50/50 chance. If the cop asks you to document it in court, you just pay the fine.....it was worth a shot.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
FordSVTFan-I meant on the side of the road, that would have been my only chance. FiaCobra got the idea, I figure try to get a warning than just accept it.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
FordSVTFan-I meant on the side of the road, that would have been my only chance. FiaCobra got the idea, I figure try to get a warning than just accept it.

You dont think that lying to a Law Enforcement Officer to hinder his lawful duties is a crime?

Instead of making up stories and lying, how about you simply comply with the law or accept your fate.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
I'm trying my best to comply, I didn't know I could get a ticket for wearing it under my arm...but here I am. Since then I've worn it the correct way and I'm still trying to find a way to get my front plate on the car without drilling holes in the bumper...

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I'm trying my best to comply, I didn't know I could get a ticket for wearing it under my arm...but here I am. Since then I've worn it the correct way and I'm still trying to find a way to get my front plate on the car without drilling holes in the bumper...

Velcro. Or a couple of places sell a mount that attaches under the bumper and the bracket comes up so you dont have any visible holes.

FiaCobra

Established Member
SVT Fan, I kinda knew you would respond in that way.

Knowing you're a LEO or were a LEO, you must have heard every story under the sun. Some were legit, some weren't. You know which ones were bullshit and which ones weren't but....let me ask you this. Have you ever heard a bullshit story but let the guy off anyway because it was such a good bullshit story?

Sometimes a good bullshit story is what you need. I know I made a LEO or two laugh with a good story. Hey, we're all human....sometimes we just want to hear some good bullshit. You can't be robo-cop all the time you know.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
SVT Fan, I kinda knew you would respond in that way.

Knowing you're a LEO or were a LEO, you must have heard every story under the sun. Some were legit, some weren't. You know which ones were bullshit and which ones weren't but....let me ask you this. Have you ever heard a bullshit story but let the guy off anyway because it was such a good bullshit story?

Sometimes a good bullshit story is what you need. I know I made a LEO or two laugh with a good story. Hey, we're all human....sometimes we just want to hear some good bullshit. You can't be robo-cop all the time you know.

When I worked a job that involved pulling over vehicles, I would make my decision before reaching the vehicle. I knew by the time I reached their vehicle whether they were getting stroked or not. Rarely, did their story change my mind.

There are numerous factors that go into the decision.

FiaCobra

Established Member
Admit it, you were Robo-cop....lol

j/k, want to poke a lil' fun at you. It's all good.

ok-popo

Established Member
in oklahoma if you have a doctors note you can wear it under your arm...no lie! lol

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
When I worked a job that involved pulling over vehicles, I would make my decision before reaching the vehicle. I knew by the time I reached their vehicle whether they were getting stroked or not. Rarely, did their story change my mind.

There are numerous factors that go into the decision.

This is the way we troopers are trained. The decision is made before we get out of the car, this way you do not have deal with bull____ stories.:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread