Found an abandoned missile silo..

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
deannyc said:
Its kinda anti-climatic that all my government does to protect me from radiation is a rotted out chain link fence, with a bright yellow sign.... I think dogs, guard towers, and a moat would be sufficient...

LOL :lol:

So they can protect your ass? They'd put shit tons of money into training those dogs, guards and shovels. Where if you grow your other arm, Bobby, they'd just say "oops"....

frankin

Established Member
deannyc said:
Its kinda anti-climatic that all my government does to protect me from radiation is a rotted out chain link fence, with a bright yellow sign.... I think dogs, guard towers, and a moat would be sufficient...

Now why do you think the government would spend money protecting a place that was no longer active, just to safe guard the people. It is more important to spend tax payer money to buy a senator or congressmen a private plane and a couple of hookers. :lol1:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
frankin said:
Now why do you think the government would spend money protecting a place that was no longer active, just to safe guard the people. It is more important to spend tax payer money to buy a senator or congressmen a private plane and a couple of hookers. :lol1:

I wanna be a senator

Vashthestampede

Its not a TUMAH
Established Member
That isn't fort dix the latitude and longitude is wrong and the BOMARC site used to be known as McGuire AFB BOMARC site

"Although designated the "McGuire AFB BOMARC site",

the installation is well to the east of the Air Force Base.

It actually sits just off the end of the primary runway of the Lakehurst Naval Air Test Facility,

just east of NJ Route 539. "

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/NJ/Airfields_NJ_E.htm

THis part is a bit troublesome
"The McGuire BOMARC site is infamous as the site of a RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL SPILL.

The incident happened on July 7, 1960, according to the book “U.S. Nuclear Weapons: A Secret History”, by Chuck Hansen.

A nuclear-armed BOMARC missile in ready storage condition (permitting launch in two minutes)

was destroyed by explosion & fire after a high pressure helium tank

exploded & ruptured the missile's fuel tanks.

The warhead was also destroyed by the fire although the high explosive did not detonate.

Plutonium fragments from the warhead were spread over an area surrounding the launcher.

The firefighting efforts around the missile building resulted in contamination being washed into the soil & a nearby stream.

All identifiable fragments of the warhead were recovered,

but the surrounding soil in the site has remained in a low level RADIOACTIVE state for over 40 years."

MY DREAM

Established Member

Key word being "identifiable", so that place will probably remane radioactive for another 9,954 years. :rockon:

Last edited:

deathdealer

Established Member
this is awesome, i wish we had shit like that around here. Only thing remotely close is an abandoned house fenced off that we used to smoke weed at, but its right next to the encinitas p.d. station.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Vashthestampede said:
That isn't fort dix the latitude and longitude is wrong and the BOMARC site used to be known as McGuire AFB BOMARC site

"Although designated the "McGuire AFB BOMARC site",

the installation is well to the east of the Air Force Base.

It actually sits just off the end of the primary runway of the Lakehurst Naval Air Test Facility,

just east of NJ Route 539. "

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/NJ/Airfields_NJ_E.htm

THis part is a bit troublesome
"The McGuire BOMARC site is infamous as the site of a RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL SPILL.

The incident happened on July 7, 1960, according to the book “U.S. Nuclear Weapons: A Secret History”, by Chuck Hansen.

A nuclear-armed BOMARC missile in ready storage condition (permitting launch in two minutes)

was destroyed by explosion & fire after a high pressure helium tank

exploded & ruptured the missile's fuel tanks.

The warhead was also destroyed by the fire although the high explosive did not detonate.

Plutonium fragments from the warhead were spread over an area surrounding the launcher.

The firefighting efforts around the missile building resulted in contamination being washed into the soil & a nearby stream.

but the surrounding soil in the site has remained in a low level RADIOACTIVE state for over 40 years."

Yikes!

Add MOPP4 gear to your Geiger counter and new camera batteries when you go back to take pictures!

_AC_

Established Member
deannyc said:

You must be a Democrat. I, on the other hand, prefer to review posted warnings and make my own decisions!!!

GH1086

Established Member
Has anybody actually figured out which installation this really is? So far we have a couple different stories on what it is, but whatever it is, it seems like either way the radioactive sign was there for a reason.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Here is a little info about Radiation and some info from the Energy Departments Web Site about Dosage and the Radiation Signs and there meanings. I hope this helps keep you alive and able to father children.

And now a little story about Radiation signs and people who don't think they mean anything.

Back in the early 1980's I worked for a company in San Diego who was contracted to X-Ray all the Trolley Tracks for the San Diego Trolley (Basically a Chemical Weld Approx 6" Thick X 4" Wide in a Piece of Railroad Track)

We had mobile X-Ray capability utilizing 100 Curies or Iridium192 (Very Radioactive Stuff) that was stored and transported in a 50 lb. Box made of Depleted Uranium 235 (Basically we were using crap that would kill you or make things start falling off your body if you got enough of it or touched it.)

We would setup our X-Ray Exposures in Downtown San Diego in the middle of the day using all the Radiation Signs in the world along with Yellow Radiation Tape at the correct distances in order to control the area and keep people from being "Exposed" to any Radiation.

It never failed that some idiot on the way to get some coffee or their lunch or just lazy would lift up the Radiation Tape / Rope and go right under and walk right over top of the shot or near enough to be dangerous. We would have to run in there and get their dumb asses out of danger.

Anyway, don't treat those signs to lightly, they are posted for a reason.

RADIATION - You can't see it, you can't smell it, and unless your really getting nuked, you can't taste it. So if you don't have Radiation Monitoring Equipment (The correct kind for the type of Radiation your Monitoring and in the right Scale/Range) and or Dosimeters to Monitor your exposure, I'd be VERY CAREFUL OUT THERE!

A Short Lesson in Radiation Exposure (I'm a little rusty at this stuff so pardon me if I've made any errors)

1/2 the Distance = 4 X the Exposure All the Way Down to Point of Contact

See how this Example of a Low Dose Source @ 24 Feet soon becomes POTENTIALLY DEADLY:

@ 24 Feet Exposure = 2.5 millirems Per Hour (This is considered slightly above SAFE for most workers in jobs like X-Ray Technicians)

@ 12 Feet Exposure = 10 millirems Per Hour

@ 6 Feet Exposure = 40 millirems Per Hour

@ 3 Feet Exposure = 160 millirems Per Hour

@ 1.5 Feet Exposure = 640 millirems Per Hour

@ 9 Inches Exposure = 1280 millirems or >1.2 rems Per Hour

@ 4.5 Inches Exposure = 5120 millirems or >5 rems Per Hour

@ 2.25 Inches Exposure = 20480 millirems or >20 rems Per Hour

@ 1.125 Inches Exposure = 81920 millirems or >81 rems Per Hour
THIS EXPOSURE X 8 HOURS AND YOU WOULD BE DEAD!

(This is almost touching, but you can keep going down to point of contact.)

These are some Tables from the Energy Departments Web Site

Acute Radiation Exposure
Effects of Large, Whole-Body Radiation Doses

Effect Dose (rems)
No observable effect 0-25 rems

Slight blood changes 25-100 rems

Significant reduction in blood platelets and
white blood cells (temporary) 100-200 rems

Severe blood damage, nausea, hair loss,
hemorrhage, death in many cases 200-500 rems

Death in less than two months for over 80% >600 rems

Table 2-3 Criteria for Posting Radiation Areas

AREA DOSE RATE CRITERIA POSTING

Radiation > 0.005 rem/hr "CAUTION, RADIATION AREA"
Area and < 0.1 rem/hr "Personnel Dosimeter Required
at 30 cm. for Entry"

High > 0.1 rem/hr at "DANGER, HIGH RADIATION AREA"
Radiation 30 cm and < 500 "Personnel Dosimeter,
Area rad/hr at 100 cm. Supplemental Dosimeter and RWP
Required for Entry"*

Very High > 500 rad/hr at "GRAVE DANGER, VERY HIGH
Radiation 100 cm. RADIATION AREA"
Area "SPECIAL CONTROLS REQUIRED FOR
ENTRY"*

Hot Spot 5 times general "CAUTION, HOT SPOT"
area dose rate
and > 0.1 rem/hr

Table 4-1 Labeling Requirements for Radioactive Materials

ITEM/MATERIAL REQUIRED LABELING

Equipment, components and "CAUTION, RADIOACTIVE
other items that are MATERIAL"
radioactive, potentially
radioactive or have been
exposed to radioactive
contamination or activation
sources

Sealed and unsealed "CAUTION, RADIOACTIVE
radioactive sources or MATERIAL" or standard
associated storage containers radiation symbol

Equipment, components and "CAUTION, INTERNAL
other items with actual or CONTAMINATION" or "CAUTION,
potential internal POTENTIAL INTERNAL
contamination CONTAMINATION"

Components, equipment or other "CAUTION, FIXED CONTAMINATION"
items with fixed contamination

Last edited:

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
WOW - with all that radioactive energy just laying around, don't bother burdening yourself with the extra weight of batteries for the camera - It'll power itself!!

Who's in for a death-watch betting pool?

minor limb loss date 2:1 payout
major limb loss date 8:1 payout
Death date 20:1 payout

Herb

SVTCobra3212

Banned
wals9331 said:
One Nuclear Bomb holder.....Buy it now for $550.00, buyer pays shipping....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I read all the way to page 8 to find no pic's?!?! What the effff. Nice find though. "ITSTOCK" wrote a couple pages back that there is one of them in this area but its alll filled up :fart:

rust0r

Established Member
deannyc said:

i dont think they've come up with a form of protection against stupidity yet, my thought is, if a chain link fence with barb wire (rotted or not) and a sign saying "Danger, Radiation" isn't enough to keep you out, then i suggest "teaching" the government by going in there, and rubbing anything that is green and glowing all over your crotch, thanks

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
If there were a bunch of dead squirls, birds Ect.... laying around the site,.....your FUCT!

Users who are viewing this thread