From the release docs! Images!

Blackie

I kinda wish they went with the full-length taillights (T-bird/Cougar lights of the '67 and up Shelbys and of the '05 stang they had at 2003's SEMA). That would have looked awsome on this car and further seperate it from all the regular stangs.
I dunno know about the stripes though...
Other then that, the car is freakin' awsome. Good Job Blue Oval! :beer:

Too bad I can't afford one! :(

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
With a air to water intercooler, I'm wondering if Ford is going to surprise us with a super-cooler. That would account for the "plus" in 450+ hp.

Great8

Pulley-less in Motown
Established Member
Not bad. Now put an aluminum block in it, and I'll know what my next car will be.

Having a solid rear doesn't bother me. It's more durable, it handles very well for what it is, and there will be numerous aftermarket components for it from day one.

Dave07997S

Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
Those same non-IRS rear ends beat BMW's latest M3's at the races...

So true, but the 3 M3's that were entered none of them finished as 2 of the 3 had lug nut issues in which lug nuts stripped and the wheels almost fell off...DOH!! Turned out to be a bad supply...As a current E46 M3 owner and still a lover of Mustangs I was pleased to see the new Mustang do as well as it would. I just wish the M3's would have finished the race to be able to judge it better. Dave.

Grey03

Established Member
Wow, do you think I could talk my wife into getting the Sport Trac for her and the Cobra for me?? I like both!!

Blackmagic94

Banned
I see everyone is bitching about the tire size, Let me ask you, Does the 275/40/17 Goodyears hook up to a stock 03 Cobra? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thats what drag radials and slicks are for fellows!!!!!!!

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
LTHLBLU said:
what? no white gauges?
interior1a_37_250.jpg

i like the stripes, but it seems understated almost.

its probably got that option like the new 05's where you can change the displays color

I like the car a lot, i agree not as mean as some of the concepts that were out, but it will definitly get noticed

Great8

Pulley-less in Motown
Established Member
Blackmagic94 said:
I see everyone is bitching about the tire size, Let me ask you, Does the 275/40/17 Goodyears hook up to a stock 03 Cobra? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thats what drag radials and slicks are for fellows!!!!!!!

Exactly. I'm sure with better chassis tuning, the tires will probably hold up better (maybe marginally) than the 275's do now. Now Nitto, BFG & MT need to be ready when these cars hit the streets, although I"ll wait for the end of the 2007 model year (if I get one).

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
No thanks. Looks just like a GT with a front spoiler. Iron block, solid axle, boring styling, everythign I hoped it would not be. Heavy, dull and backwards.

I will be keeping my '03 for quite a while, or buying a modern performance car like the BMW M or Corvette.

I was really hoping they woudl step up with a world class performnce car.

Great for the drag race crowd though.

Maybe I am being too harsh but I am really disapointed.

Blackmagic94

Banned
If you want a world class performance car, buy a Ford GT, a mustang always has and always will be a pony car.

Last time I checked 03-04 Cobras had an iron cylinder block as well. A proven solid axle can out handle a IRS if done right, which this one is, hence the poll finishes in the last month with the 05 Ford Racing Mustangs. Steeda races with a solid as well, IRS goes boom with power and rattles your teeth out on a hard launch. I hate my IRS.

Hypsi87

the turbo goes woo woo!
Man, I have been wanting a cobra for a while now but my main concern was the IRS. It's funny, if you go to my local track, you will see 03-04 cobras running mid to low 12's all day long. You look at that time and think to yourself "man, it looked faster than that." Then you realize that the run was a 12.something @ 128 MPH. Thats enought MPH for a mid ten second pass. Hopefully now you can put a set of sticky tires on this new cobra and put the power to the ground. I always told myself that if they got rid of the IRS I would look at getting one. Also if I were planning to run some hardcore boost in the future, I would much rather have a cast block.

I think I have found my next car... I just have to pay off the f-250 I just bought.

Slow01Cobra

Established Member
Blackmagic94 said:
A proven solid axle can out handle a IRS if done right, which this one is, hence the poll finishes in the last month with the 05 Ford Racing Mustangs. Steeda races with a solid as well, IRS goes boom with power and rattles your teeth out on a hard launch. I hate my IRS.

We are talking about a modular band-aid IRS system used on a chassis made in 1979. The new chassis was made for IRS use, the solid is a retrofit, the potential is much higher.

A fully upgraded IRS can launch like bastard. A stock cobra is a few mods away from killing wheel hop (better springs, bushings, and a k-member brace)

It will also outhandle a solid axle if also modified.

You can ask corvette owners about a quality IRS.

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
You are right. The mustang is a pony car, not a sports car. I bought mine because there were no other 400 hp convertibles to choose from. It is nice for what it is, and I love it, but next year there are goign to be a bunch of 400 hp convertibles to choose from. I will have to see what happens. I was really hoping for a great looking monster with an IRS. I do love that engine though. Maybe it will grow on me. Just does not look sporty to me. Something is missing. too tall or too long or not wide enough. Something. Flared rear fenders with 295s in the back would go a loooooong way. And some functional scoops in the rear. Then we would be talking.

TheRod1976

Blue - The Fastest Color
Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
Thank you Evil one! I too said it had seats, and that they where black and red! :banana:

Tim :poke:

I saw the car a few weeks ago before they completed the interior, and the windows were darkened so you couldn't see in. I haven't seen the finished product so I was mistaken. Shame on me. I will be at the NY autoshow to get up close and personal with the car again.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
Yep I hear ya, I was just getting ready to buy a Whipple, but that cash is now my deposit on one of these sweet rides.

Same here. :rockon:

rezcobra

Established Member
TheRod1976 said:
ENGINE
Type V-8

Manufacturing location Romeo, Michigan

Configuration Iron Block and Aluminum Heads

Intake manifold Cast-aluminum with screw-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler

Exhaust manifold Cast iron

Crankshaft Forged steel

Throttle body Dual 55 mm, electronic

Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder

Valve diameter Intake: 37.0 mm
Exhaust: 32.0 mm

Pistons Forged aluminum

Connecting rods Cracked forged steel I-beams

Ignition Coil-on-plug

Bore x stroke 3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.22 x 105.8 mm

Displacement 330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc

Horsepower More than 450

Torque 450 lb.-ft

But it has the Ford GT heads, according to Ford's press release!!!!! :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana:

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
Some Of U People Bitching Are Wanting 75k Performance For A 40k Price Get Real. No Matter If U Do Or Dont Like It Ford Will Sell Everyone Of Them. And For A While Every One Of Them Will Sell Over Sticker. U Want It To Handle Like This And Drag Like That Go Spend 70k Plus For A Ls7 Z06 Or A Viper Ill Spend 45k And Romp All Over U In All Aspects I Cant Wait To Order One. I Will Agree With One Complaint I Hope I Can Get Them With Out The Stripes...

svo600

Established Member
I have a 99 irs and 05 must gt and even though the 05 handles well its still not comparable to the irs, it will be a deal breaker for me if the 07 doesnt have an optional irs.

Users who are viewing this thread