FTBR IRS upgrade install

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Evening update:

Got the LCA's drilled, tapped and fitted. A couple quickly returned questions from Bruce and I am all done. Enough with the words...pictures

DSC_0292_zpsa5eb26ee.jpg

DSC_0293_zps2360c93d.jpg

DSC_0294_zps23fc8515.jpg

DSC_0295_zpsc2ea2bd5.jpg

DSC_0297_zps186c0f82.jpg

DSC_0298_zps0b350f7c.jpg

DSC_0299_zps1e7ca6c4.jpg

All done :)

DSC_0300_zps30aa077b.jpg

I wanted to try the LCA's first, with the soft aluminum, to get the hang of it.

This is scary, but fun

Mac99Snake

03cobraracer

Established Member
love all the pics to go along with it so far man, makes it so much easier to understand how everything goes, keep it up!

reldla1996

Established Member
I'm right with you Mac99. Drilled, tapped and installed the grease fittings - aluminum arms first just like you. Had to use a different tapping tool (with shorter arms) for the upper control arms, to clear the bends in the UCA's. Bruce's video's are awesome. I work for a while, then watch the videos for a few minutes, and then work some more. The only place I've differed from Bruce's instructions was drilling the factory sub frame bushings - after drilling the first one like he said, I only drilled one hole in the rest, and they came out cleaner (left less residue in the sub frame). Replacing the 8.8 cover now, and then on to installing control arms.... Absolutely no glitches yet, just lots of wrenching, cleaning, drilling, and such.

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
I'm right with you Mac99. Drilled, tapped and installed the grease fittings - aluminum arms first just like you. Had to use a different tapping tool (with shorter arms) for the upper control arms, to clear the bends in the UCA's. Bruce's video's are awesome. I work for a while, then watch the videos for a few minutes, and then work some more. The only place I've differed from Bruce's instructions was drilling the factory sub frame bushings - after drilling the first one like he said, I only drilled one hole in the rest, and they came out cleaner (left less residue in the sub frame). Replacing the 8.8 cover now, and then on to installing control arms.... Absolutely no glitches yet, just lots of wrenching, cleaning, drilling, and such.

Ditto, read some, watch some, email Bruce with questions. :)

Morning update:

Since I am waiting for the tools, I decided to remove the IRS from my 99. Wow, it goes much faster the second time. Dad and I upgraded this IRS in 2006 with a full MM kit. While the kit did eliminate the wheel hop, there was still the clunk and noticeably more NVH. I will be taking the BF IRS brace off and reusing it, along with a Kenny Brown IRS rear steer kit.

The pictures show front and rear of the IRS - note: the halfshafts are not stock, they are RAXLES. Also, the IRS knuckle upright has cross axis joints installed.

DSC_0292_zpsfbc039e6.jpg

DSC_0293_zps36290c4b.jpg

Loving the weather - This is fun :)

Mac99Snake

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Mid Morning update:

A mess of IRS' :)

DSC_0293_zps419f13ec.jpg

All apart except for the rear tie-rods...need to get a puller.

Good times

Mac99Snake

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Late morning update :)

Just thought I would show the different half shafts.

From top to bottom

03 Stock

99 Raxle

99 Stock

DSC_0292_zpsdbef37cb.jpg

Time for a break.... This afternoon, clean and install BF IRS brace and Kenny Brown rear steer kit.

Good day to be outside, and this is fun.

Mac99Snake

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Afternoon update:

Installed the BF IRS brace from the 99 pumpkin. Removed and cleaned up the Kenny Brown rear steer kit off the 99 IRS. Disassembled and stored the 99 IRS bits I didn't use. Lastly, cleaned up the garage again from the days work. I don't think there is much else I can do until the removal tools get here.

Bruce, is there anything else I can do ahead of time?

DSC_0292_zpsa55ef984.jpg

Long day but still learning and fun

Mac99Snake

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce, is there anything else I can do ahead of time?

Long day but still learning and fun

Mac99Snake

Well you may want to consider a couple of things. If you don't know the last time your fuel filter was changed, change it now. You have complete and total unrestricted access to it with the subrame out of the chassis.

You also may want to consider resealing the diff cover now that it's out of the car. Those seals don't last forever. I'd use the gray Ford Motorcraft sealant and don't put the lube in for 24 hours until the sealant cures.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Great minds think alike :). I have a new filter and the diff/limited slip was rebuilt/resealed 1500 miles ago.

Thanks - Mac

Last edited:

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Per Bruce's recommendation, I replaced the fuel filter this morning. I'm not sure how long the older was in (not stock) but when I removed it, some brown fuel did come out from the fuel tank side. So, that done, I got to cleaning, did the shocks and then did a bad thing....looked forward, under the door sills. <sigh>
I hate knowing...and sometimes hate being such a clean freak.

Off came the 90K mile lower valences:

DSC_0294_zps6b017921.jpg

Cleaned up as best I can. They definitely need repainting in the future.

DSC_0295_zpsc70f785c.jpg

Off to pick up some plastic body pins for re-installation.

Fall is here in north Florida - 62F

Mac99Snake

reldla1996

Established Member
I sure wish it was 62 up here in Ohio..... Getting close to done with my install. All the suspension is in. refilling the rear axle, and then it's time to reinstall the exhaust and tires. Then lower it back down to the ground and see how it looks. I cut 3/4 coil off the rear springs while they were out. Hope to get it 4 wheel aligned tomorrow so I can drive it!

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
I cut 1/2 off the front and 3/4 off the rear and am happy with the look. Post some pics.

Sent from FL280 using Tapatalk HD

dogg502

Established Member
I need to do my irs cause the diff. cover started leaking and after seeing all the work involved I think im going to let her leak! lol

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
I need to do my irs cause the diff. cover started leaking and after seeing all the work involved I think im going to let her leak! lol

Its really not difficult, just take your time and have all your parts/tools ready. I think with a helper, you could get it done easily in a weekend.

Late afternoon update:

While waiting for the tools, I cleaned and painted the subframe, diff braces and UCA's. I think I have done just about everything I can.

file_zps12ac7a06.jpg

This is fun, waiting for big brown isn't...:rolleyes:

Mac99Snake

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Big Brown arrived at 3:45 pm with the removal tools :) I had all the stock bushings out and bores cleaned in two hours. Definitely get the tools!

Just removed the subframe bushing:

file_zps9b60576d.jpg

After cleaning it out:

file_zps4506b3ba.jpg

A couple things held me up. The rear stock subframe sleeve had some nubs which needed to be removed (filed) before the long threaded rod would fit. I also had to drill the stock Diff mount sleeve to get the rod to fit. That took a bit of time otherwise I would have been done quicker.

Drilled and tapped the UCA's

file_zps9fc5b6e0.jpg

Both are done with all the bushing installed. You can see my mistake...I over-tapped one of the grease fittings. I used a small gasket washer to snug up the fitting at the proper orientation.

file_zps7ceedd8b.jpg

I have the UCA's, LCA's and Diff Mount all done, ready to install in the sub-frame. I'll do the subframe mounts tomorrow.

This is fun, except when you #$%% it up a little.

Mac99Snake

CrazyBoost

Established Member
Great work! Makes me want to get this kit even more. I was worried about the install but it really doesn't look to bad, just time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread