FTBR IRS upgrade install

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Evening update:

Got the subframe bushings in. I had to use the threaded rod tool to seat them.

Before

file_zps99e6e74d.jpg

During

file_zps0d9514fa.jpg

After with the differential reinstalled

file_zps5db1f3cc.jpg

Everything back together....I hope. The right side LCA was a bit difficult, but I eventually worked it out. Nothing is torqued to spec yet.

Bruce, do you see any glaring errors?

Front

file_zps7b6d4eeb.jpg

file_zps389f52e4.jpg

file_zpse4e6aed3.jpg

Rear

file_zps21f5466d.jpg

file_zps2f3bf0e8.jpg

Thoughts on the reassembly: Having a friend would have been very helpful. Have a sequence for reassembly: Bushings, diff, LCAs, UCA's, Halfshafts, Knuckle, Swaybar, end links, and rear steer/tie rod. I had to go back and forth a couple times.

This is fun

Mac99Snake

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce, do you see any glaring errors?

Mac99Snake

From what I can see it looks good! :thumbsup:

This is fun

Mac99Snake

I like so see this kind of enthusiasm. :beer: As you know this is a time consuming, labor intensive job, but it's not overly hard. I try to tell people to not be intimidated by this project. Think of the knowledge you've gained regarding your rear suspension after doing this project!

:-D

vadorsnake04

Established Member
great job! it looks so much nicer after you have cleaned/painted everything! this is on my list to get done this winter after fixing and installing my motor.

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Done for the evening

All the torque requirements:

file_zpsaef79e95.jpg

Almost made it on the first try.

file_zps9940e628.jpg

Definitely spread the torque boxes. I got three of the 4 subframe mounting bolts in. The driver's side forward is just a hair off. I think I'll have to drop it again and file out the hole just a little. I tried persuasion...didn't budge. Not too bad for solo without a lift.

Late evening fun

Mac99Snake

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Definitely spread the torque boxes. I got three of the 4 subframe mounting bolts in. The driver's side forward is just a hair off. I think I'll have to drop it again and file out the hole just a little. I tried persuasion...didn't budge. Not too bad for solo without a lift.

Late evening fun

Mac99Snake

If you have an impact gun you should be able to "thread" that bolt in through the torque box if it's off a little bit.

Great job Mac99Snake, you are almost giving me the courage to do this on my own. Definitely post your driving review when the time comes. Would love to read it.

03cobraracer

Established Member
that came out great! i wanna do this so bad i wish i had my car with me. i was gonna have someone else do this but im just gonna do it myself now im determined

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Fini!

ITS DONE!

I got home today from a weekend work trip and decided to knock it out. I dropped the IRS again and started with the opposite side, got the bolt in and with a bit of work got the other front mount bolt in. I'm thinking "I got this", and then looked at the 2 extra washers in my parts pile......crap. So out they came and on went the washers. Luckily it went back together with out too much pain. I strung the antiskid and brakelines, then put the rear mount bolts in. Then got everything torqued down. Re-installed the brakes with new rear rotors, the E-brake cable and new axle nuts.

file_zps7872630d.jpg

Right side:

file_zpsfcf1db1c.jpg

Left Side:

file_zps1e02a88e.jpg

Driveshaft and exhaust next. Of course the exhaust uses SAE wrenches. Lastly wheels.

From the brief spin around the block (too late to check wheel hop) no increase in NVH that I could tell and it feels silky smooth with no clunk.

Further driving impressions to come with a full road test. I'll also probably come up with a list of helpful hints from my experience.

This is fun!

Mac99Snake

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
did you have to spread the front mounting area any like shown on Bruce's site to get it back in smoothly?

Users who are viewing this thread