Getting pulled over for tint in another state

Poppacapp

Established Member
Not at all, do you?

You do actually. The officer above mentioned that there are cars all over that have things that are "illegal" on them.. tint etc. Those are reason to make contact. Whether the officer writes a ticket during that contact or not is up to their discretion.

mcdover

Established Member
You do actually. The officer above mentioned that there are cars all over that have things that are "illegal" on them.. tint etc. Those are reason to make contact. Whether the officer writes a ticket during that contact or not is up to their discretion.

Actually, you, the good Lt., and the LEO above who claims to have god-like powers and be able to pick out violations on any of the thousands of cars passing him daily, seem to have a problem with comprehension.

I'll attempt to drag y'all along into context:

-LEO goes public and says he was fired for complaining about quotas.

-His chief denies they have quotas, but acknowledges their was some kind of "mis-communication" at a shift change.

-He goes on to state that they do have requirement that a certain number of "contacts" are made monthly, which the freaking definition of quota!

-The chief goes on to define contacts as pedestrians and MV.

Again, ask ANYBODY if they like being stopped by LEOs just to make "contact". If I'm on my way somewhere, why do I have stop for a guy with a gun and a badge just because he has a certain number of "contacts" to fill?

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Again, ask ANYBODY if they like being stopped by LEOs just to make "contact". If I'm on my way somewhere, why do I have stop for a guy with a gun and a badge just because he has a certain number of "contacts" to fill?

You assume quotas are widespread and the norm. As a Chief of Police; I can assure, my agency has no quota system. The vast majority of departments out there operate with similar principles.

But, I get it. You have a beef against law enforcement. This isn't the forum for you to grandstand though...

mcdover

Established Member
You assume quotas are widespread and the norm. As a Chief of Police; I can assure, my agency has no quota system. The vast majority of departments out there operate with similar principles.

But, I get it. You have a beef against law enforcement. This isn't the forum for you to grandstand though...

Does your agency require a number of contacts by your officers?

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Does your agency require a number of contacts by your officers?

No, there are no hard numbers. My officers are expected to perform and they are gauged based on a department average.

And my department is not abnormal in this sense.

mcdover

Established Member
No, there are no hard numbers. My officers are expected to perform and they are gauged based on a department average.

And my department is not abnormal in this sense.

Why do you think the department in the article required a certain amount of contacts per month from it's officers? Isn't that the definition of quota?

Several LEOs here have stated that there is no such thing as quotas, but we know of at least one department that requires a hard number of "contacts" per month, which is the very definition of quota. Now before anyone jumps in and says a quota of CITATION were not required, I would argue that by requiring X amount of contacts, statistically you can determine the amount of citations written.

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
Why do you think the department in the article required a certain amount of contacts per month from it's officers? Isn't that the definition of quota?

Again.. a contact does not mean a citation. Quota has no bearing if no citation is issued. A contact for example would be observing a car with a tinted tag cover, windows too dark, loud exhaust etc. Those a probable cause to pull the car over and issue a citation IF the officer deems it fit to. If the officer does not want to write the ticket, he does not have to. THIS is a contact. THAT means the officer was not sitting somewhere NOT observing other drivers. It means he was watching.. doing his job, and noticed an illegally operated vehicle and made a CONTACT.. but no ticket. Understand now? :nonono:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member

Expecting an officer to have x amount or less errors on a police report would be a quota also, correct?

Expecting an officer to show upo to work on time, without being late more than x times is a quota...

I can go on and on.

A contact is not a citation.

mcdover

Established Member
Again.. a contact does not mean a citation. Quota has no bearing if no citation is issued. A contact for example would be observing a car with a tinted tag cover, windows too dark, loud exhaust etc. Those a probable cause to pull the car over and issue a citation IF the officer deems it fit to. If the officer does not want to write the ticket, he does not have to. THIS is a contact. THAT means the officer was not sitting somewhere NOT observing other drivers. It means he was watching.. doing his job, and noticed an illegally operated vehicle and made a CONTACT.. but no ticket. Understand now? :nonono:

I edited my previous post while you were composing yours.

We both know that there is a direct correlation between contacts and citations. No contacts, no citations. Therefore by requiring a quota of contacts, over time, you can statistically determine how many citations will be written and how much revenue will be generated. I commend the departments that do not, as policy, require X-amount of contacts, but the ones that do, are clearly suspect in their justification.

mcdover

Established Member
Expecting an officer to have x amount or less errors on a police report would be a quota also, correct?

Expecting an officer to show upo to work on time, without being late more than x times is a quota...

I can go on and on.

A contact is not a citation.

Nope. A quota is a requirement. Are you required to make errors or be late?

Noun[edit]
quota (plural quotas)
A proportional part or share; the share or proportion assigned to each in a division.
A prescribed number or percentage that may serve as, for example, a maximum, a minimum, or a goal.  [quotations ▼]

Last edited:

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
WTF?

See this right here is the attitude that pisses people off about cops. It's not about getting a citation, Comrade! It's about being stopped to "show your papers".

DAMN! Cops are telling us it's okay to stop people DOING NOTHING WRONG for "contacts" but don't find it necessary to step in when a family is getting assaulted by biker thugs. What is happening to this freaking country???!!!

Lmao. When did I say it was ok to stop people DOING NOTHING WRONG???

I said there are literally thousands of reasons to stop someone if you know traffic law, I can watch cars go by and give you reasons to stop them all day long. ALL of them breaking the law.

Sorry you have a problem with cops doing part of their job description.

mcdover

Established Member
Lmao. When did I say it was ok to stop people DOING NOTHING WRONG???

I said there are literally thousands of reasons to stop someone if you know traffic law, I can watch cars go by and give you reasons to stop them all day long. ALL of them breaking the law.

Sorry you have a problem with cops doing part of their job description.

You are defending the quota system that some PDs have that require a certain number of "contacts" per month or hour. If noone is doing anything wrong, how do rectify the requirement to stop someone? Oh yeah, you said "there a literally thousands of reasons to stop someone".:rolleyes: It's crap like that gives the public a legitimate reason to not trust law enforcement.

Requiring "contacts" and not violating the 4th Amendment is a hell of a tightrope to walk. Of course, the excuse I expect to hear is "probable cause". "thousands of reasons to stop someone" just to meet a quota.

Someone I know, was just recently stopped for failure to signal. She was at a red light turn, in the turn lane, fully stopped and turned when the TURN LANE INDICATOR turned green. Maybe he was short on his quota and needed a contact. Meanwhile, the mom was detained on the way to pick up kids from school.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
You are defending the quota system that some PDs have that require a certain number of "contacts" per month or hour. If noone is doing anything wrong, how do rectify the requirement to stop someone? Oh yeah, you said "there a literally thousands of reasons to stop someone".:rolleyes: It's crap like that gives the public a legitimate reason to not trust law enforcement.

Requiring "contacts" and not violating the 4th Amendment is a hell of a tightrope to walk. Of course, the excuse I expect to hear is "probable cause". "thousands of reasons to stop someone" just to meet a quota.

Someone I know, was just recently stopped for failure to signal. She was at a red light turn, in the turn lane, fully stopped and turned when the TURN LANE INDICATOR turned green. Maybe he was short on his quota and needed a contact. Meanwhile, the mom was detained on the way to pick up kids from school.

I can argue both ways. if there are thousands of cars to stop then quotas should not be needed.

Without quotas though...I suspect some cops would park in a quiet place and surf the net, read..etc...quota may simply be a way to ensure a lazy cop is actually working?

mcdover

Established Member
I can argue both ways. if there are thousands of cars to stop then quotas should not be needed.

Without quotas though...I suspect some cops would park in a quiet place and surf the net, read..etc...quota may simply be a way to ensure a lazy cop is actually working?

The "lazy cop" argument just punishes the average, law abiding citizen. Remember the brouhaha over the FLA Leo's ticketing motorists for flashing their lights? We all heard the excuses, but at the end of the day, it was all about a revenue stream.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
General public is responsible for that crap... "the police don't do their jobs because all they do is sit/drive around in their cars all day". Perception is a bitch and unless the attitude towards them changes you will always have someone (politicians/administration) trying to please the public and trying to make them 'do work'. To be honest I've only heard of something like that happening around here at one department and that town no longer has it's own police force and they were all terminated.

Poppacapp

Established Member

You are one of those people who pull up to license checks, and keep the window rolled up and repeat over and over again to the officer, "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?" :nonono:

DevilDog81

Can't fix stupid!!!
Established Member
Please feel free to mention by name the Police Departments that have a quota system, so I avoid driving in those areas. Especially if they cover areas with tall buildings and departments with at least 1000 Officers!!!

mcdover

Established Member
You are one of those people who pull up to license checks, and keep the window rolled up and repeat over and over again to the officer, "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?" :nonono:

Only when I'm really, really drunk.

mcdover

Established Member
Please feel free to mention by name the Police Departments that have a quota system, so I avoid driving in those areas. Especially if they cover areas with tall buildings and departments with at least 1000 Officers!!!

Well, you might want to steer clear of Ft. Worth. According to the article I posted, their officers are required to make 4 "contacts" an hour.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread