GT500 vs. ZL1.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Your not saying that Ford should shave tires, tune the chasis(suspension and splitter/spoiler down-force), tune the motor, take out unnecessary oem weight off, for one specific track in order to achieve the fast lap times? All for what....marketing purposes?

You forgot to mention adding a full roll cage which has a dramatic affect on chassis stiffening and track times. I noticed the "Ring" times are advertised (talked about) by GM and GM faithful on a regular basis without mention of this fact.

I know Ford also tested with a full cage too but you don't see them advertising track results leading people to think those results are from a bone stock factory car like our boy Al is doing.

That is interesting, I did not know this. I was under the impression both Ford and GM tested their cars in stock form. If this is true then it is very misleading.

IOMZL1

Established Member
Your not saying that Ford should shave tires, tune the chasis(suspension and splitter/spoiler down-force), tune the motor, take out unnecessary oem weight off, for one specific track in order to achieve the fast lap times? All for what....marketing purposes?

This is the first I've heard of any of this, but then again I'm new here.

The ZL1 had a roll cage at the ring and 30+ lbs of data acquisition equipment in the trunk. The interior was a bit stripped down for purposes of installing the roll cage. Weight was a likely higher than that of a stock ZL1.

The chassis rigidity of the Camaro is higher than the Mustang - while I'm sure the roll cage provided some stiffness improvement, its main purpose was safety for the driver, not a performance gain.

bumplime

Established Member
IOMZL1 said:
Like it or not the ZL1 has changed things. Track ready for competition or not, GM is redefining the Pony Car NOW.

The ZL1 hasn't changed anything yet, it hasn't even been released to the public. Even if you go from the "reviews" and follow the changes, GM had no choice but to make changes in order to even attempt to be competitive in the Pony car segment. The current Camaro sucks by all standards. The Mustang was whipping it bad, that's indisputable. I guess you can pull the sales figures argument if it helps ya feel better.
GM Is redefining nothing. All they did was take a system from one of their other models and put it in the Camaro, again it isn't even out yet. Hard to be redefining when your still unavailable. I will say GM upped their game with the ZL1 from what has been released but until the car is in owners hands it doesn't matter.
If you want to be speculative it could be argued that Ford is still the school yard bully, pushing Chrysler around and bitch slapping GM. Ford has drastically improved the GT500 according to what we have seen.
Keeping the comparisons with current cars, GM is in desperate need of help.

GarageLogic

Established Member
I don't think road racing is ever going to take over the main focus of buyers which is now on drag racing. Road racing is just too expensive and time consuming for the average Joe. Having a car that handles well in the turns is great but at the end of the day I believe straight line performance is going to remain king.
Agree. Even though soccer is THE sport in most of the world, football is king in the USA. Likewise, road course performance may be the standard in many other countries, but quarter mile/straight line performance is the accepted standard in North America.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
This is the first I've heard of any of this, but then again I'm new here.

The ZL1 had a roll cage at the ring and 30+ lbs of data acquisition equipment in the trunk. The interior was a bit stripped down for purposes of installing the roll cage. Weight was a likely higher than that of a stock ZL1.

The chassis rigidity of the Camaro is higher than the Mustang - while I'm sure the roll cage provided some stiffness improvement, its main purpose was safety for the driver, not a performance gain.

Its been going of for years, as the c5 z06 ring time was done on shaved tires. The CTSV ring and less weight and added down-force. GM rents out the ring for weeks at a time running 100's of laps traffic free all for that one halo lap.

Nissan does the same thing. Ferrari needs to know where the mag is testing 2 weeks in advance so that they can tune their vehicle for that circuit. As GTS and DBK have pointed out Ford sent a tuned(+ hp) Ford GT to a mag test between $400k cars. Since then Ford has wised up, and a new group is running SVT.

Last edited:

GarageLogic

Established Member
...while I'm sure the roll cage provided some stiffness improvement, its main purpose was safety for the driver, not a performance gain.
Doesn't matter what the intent of the cage was, the result on the chassis was the same. An as-delivered ZL1 will not be equal to the caged ZL1 that ran the 'Ring. Period.

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
How is GM changing the subject any different from ridiculing them for changing it? If it isn’t something people want, nobody will buy it. People are often beaten down for thinking outside of the box by those who fear change or don’t like how the new ways will influence their life. Like it or not the ZL1 has changed things. Track ready for competition or not, GM is redefining the Pony Car NOW.
Road and Track reported mild understeer, it is unclear if understeer would increase if the track was warm or not. Inde itself, or at least the GM configuration, doesn't have many turns to begin with. I think I seen some snap oversteer in the VIR video too.

GM is the master of misdirection... once offered a challenge to all journalist and private owners in a CTS-V challenge and some young kid in a BMW won.
Then... GM brought out 4 ringers and look who the drivers are...

Cadillac CTS-V Challenge: So Yeah, BMW Kinda Won

Kind of a crap deal, pro drivers in ringer cars....

Let's be clear about something here: The CTS-V Challenge was not, strictly a fair race. It was a publicity stunt. Cadillac acknowledges this. Still, as a publicity stunt, it was a hell of a lot more fun than basically every other car-maker publicity stunt we've attended.

And it's a stunt that a young guy, who claimed to be a Skip Barber school graduate but not a racer, won in his BMW M3. His fast lap of 2:50:424 was the fastest single lap of any driver that wasn't a ringer (Heinricy, Link and Redman). No other CTS-V could touch him.

Here, for the record, are the final lap times of the day:

Mystery Driver (Johnny O'Connell), CTS-V, ringer, 2:45:537

John Heinricy, CTS-V, ringer, 2:46:560

Aaron Link, CTS-V, ringer, 2:48:902

Brian Redman, CTS-V, ringer, 2:49:596

Michael Cooper, BMW M3, private owner, 2:50:424

Jack Baruth, CTS-V, journalist, 2:51:153

Lawrence Ulrich, CTS-V, journalist, 2:53:157

Bob Lutz, CTS-V, The Bob, 2:56:321

Michael Mainwald, BMW M5, private owner, 3:05:398

Wes Siler, Mitsubishi Evo, journalist, 3:08:126

Chris Fairman, CTS-V, private owner, 3:14:292

Archan Basu, Jaguar XF, private owner, 3:15:670

Tom Loder, Audi RS4, private owner, 3:15:702

Last edited:

Darth Racer

Established Member
The ZL1 hasn't changed anything yet, it hasn't even been released to the public. Even if you go from the "reviews" and follow the changes, GM had no choice but to make changes in order to even attempt to be competitive in the Pony car segment. The current Camaro sucks by all standards. The Mustang was whipping it bad, that's indisputable. I guess you can pull the sales figures argument if it helps ya feel better.
GM Is redefining nothing. All they did was take a system from one of their other models and put it in the Camaro, again it isn't even out yet. Hard to be redefining when your still unavailable. I will say GM upped their game with the ZL1 from what has been released but until the car is in owners hands it doesn't matter.
If you want to be speculative it could be argued that Ford is still the school yard bully, pushing Chrysler around and bitch slapping GM. Ford has drastically improved the GT500 according to what we have seen.
Keeping the comparisons with current cars, GM is in desperate need of help.

I agree. And, the ZL1 is really ugly. It looks like a squashed caddy. I have a good friend who is a GM guy and he agrees that it looks horrible. He said he'd rather buy a Challenger.....LOL.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
It is my understanding that all ZL1's that were produced have been on hold since late February. They will not ship any of the ZL1's until further notice.

One man actually received his ZL1 in Texas and....

One car actually got delivered to a customer in TX. GM told them to bring the car back to the dealership, and it was being shipped back to the plant.

My understanding is that the customer will be well rewarded for his inconvenience (considering he paid for the car in full).

Must be a pretty good/bad problem for a stop sale/production. Of course, we will never know.

Hmmmm.... Something wasn't right...

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
It is my understanding that all ZL1's that were produced have been on hold since late February. They will not ship any of the ZL1's until further notice.

One man actually received his ZL1 in Texas and....

Hmmmm.... Something wasn't right...

just go to camaro5, they have pics of hundreds of ZL1's sitting out in the lot in the brutal cold and snow at the Oswego plant...doing nothing...i would be pretty pissed as a owner

GarageLogic

Established Member
I heard that that GM's ZL1 QC process involves having the self-professed statistics expert from C5, GoldenBear, personally count every nut and bolt on the car to ensure scientific conformity. Then they all get driven once by Dragoneye in order to be officially labeled a "supercar"! That's a lot of work for two guys.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
just go to camaro5, they have pics of hundreds of ZL1's sitting out in the lot in the brutal cold and snow at the Oswego plant...doing nothing...i would be pretty pissed as a owner

Wow, I would be too. It would be nice to know what they the hold up is. Anyone have a picture of this handy?

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Track ready for competition or not, GM is redefining the Pony Car NOW.

In what ways?

I can say that Ford was the one who redefined the Pony Car's segment when SVT put the infamous Terminator SC Engine. And that was 9 years ago.

NOW I can say they're redefining the Pony Car's category again with the most powerful V8 in the World at 650+HP... stock.

Then I can say Ford will redefine the Pony Car's segment because it'll install a triangle shaped lug nut.

I think you're safer to say that each company redefines the Pony Car's category w/ each new and more advanced model.

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
The ZL1 production and shipping stoppage of this magnitude and secrecy reminds me of the Motor Trend Boss 302 accident...

While attempting to record fairly standard 60 miles per hour to zero stopping distances in a new 2012 Ford Boss 302 Mustang, Scott Mortara of Motor Trend experienced a complete brake failure when he attempted to mash the the middle pedal, which was accompanied by the sound of broken metal. Luckily for Scott, the Boss 302 features a six-speed manual transmission, the test was being performed on a lengthy track and the journalist was able to clutch-brake the car down to a safe speed and park the car without injury or accident.

As it turns out, when Scott had attempted to bury the brake pedal he sheered off the pin responsible for connecting the master cylinder clevis rod, sending his brake pedal completely to the floor – without any stopping force being generated in the process. Curiously, it turns out that for a currently unknown reason the brake pedal arm, which is usually found between the two sides of the clevis, had been pinned to the outside of the clevis, to the right.

As a result, rather than the side of the pedal arm pushing against the side of the clevis as it normally would should a pin fail, the pedal slid right past the clevis, sheering the pin in the process.

How did Ford take the news?
Upon being notified of the potentially fatal incident – that luckily ended without harm to body or car – the folks at Ford immediately stopped the Mustang assembly line, and ordered workers to check the brake assembly of every car at the factory. In addition to stopping and checking the cars in production, Ford hastily picked up the Boss in question in order to perform a complete tear-down and inspection and attempt to diagnose the source of the one-off issue.

So far, no other cars were found to be in an improper configuration, and Ford still can’t explain how the test car in question had its pedal placed in the position it was. The folks at MT suggested that it may have been possible that someone had modified the pedal post-production, either through unintentional assembly and dis-assembly, or as some readers suggested, possibly in an attempt to gain a slight edge when attempting heel-toe downshifting.

Report: Boss Mustang brake pin critically fails during 60-0 test

Oddly enough, the shipping halt was announced on the last day of the media event.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
check this thread out....lol

[ame=http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207661]Road & Track records showing the Boss out performs the ZL1! - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com[/ame]

now that im looking theres so much chaos over there, from people rumoring chevy delaying the delivery to add more power :lol1:

to many people suggesting giving up their allocation...if you're bored go take a look around I almost feel bad for some of them

Last edited:

IOMZL1

Established Member
In what ways?

I can say that Ford was the one who redefined the Pony Car's segment when SVT put the infamous Terminator SC Engine. And that was 9 years ago.

NOW I can say they're redefining the Pony Car's category again with the most powerful V8 in the World at 650+HP... stock.

Then I can say Ford will redefine the Pony Car's segment because it'll install a triangle shaped lug nut.

I think you're safer to say that each company redefines the Pony Car's category w/ each new and more advanced model.

I think you are right in that segments are redefined constantly, sometimes in bigger ways than others. The ZL1 does it more so now because it hits the ground running where it didn’t exist before. This is more of a ‘shock’ to the segment than gradual improvement over time. Read any of the ZL1 reviews and you will see this.

Motor Trend:

For 2012, Chevy aims to redefine the ponycar completely in one electronically optimized fell swoop. The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 takes the once-simple formula for all-American performance and reworks it into a recipe for a modern cyborg warhorse. Literally leaning on suspension technology originally developed for Cadillacs and Corvettes, the Camaro achieves better-than-Boss levels of handling with the highway ride quality of a CTS-V. The active exhaust system sounds nearly as quiet as a family sedan at part throttle, but opens up its big, angry pipes when you stand on it. Like the ZL1, the 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca does allow for ride quality and handling adjustment, but the big difference is the Camaro is adjusted by a smarter-and-faster-than-you computer -- different performance modes are summoned with an index finger through a console-mounted button -- while the Mustang is dialed in using a screwdriver and your spare time.​

IMO, the ZL1 has done this with overall vehicle engineering, not just engine engineering or adding a lug nut. Look at the underbody of the ZL1 as an example of the attention to detail they paid to aerodynamics - better than the Boss. Look at the 'hero lap' times of this 4200 lb car as a testament to the tuning of the suspension, electronic steering, and PTM. The third generation MR dampers speak for themselves. They started from scratch and took little compromise when it came to performance. The ZL1 is a car that is very comfortable on the street (like it or not, more so than the GT500), capable on the drag strip, and killer on the track. They got everything they could out of the car, more than what people thought was possible given weight and HP. This will have to be the norm going forward for these top performing models because GM has set the standard. Hence, they have redefined the segment.

Moving forward chassis will change and weight will go down, but these principals will have to be applied to the Mustang to remain competitive. Look at what they’ve done for 2013 to compensate other than the engine, they’ve tried to compete with the electronically switched dampers (not even same ballpark as MR), they’ve hyped minor aero changes (gurney flap and fascia) but in reality they are hoping 650 / 200 takes the focus off of the other inferior parts of the car as compared to the ZL1.

Yes, the 650 HP GT500 is impressive and a feat of engineering especially to beat the GG tax, but IMO it hasn’t redefined anything because I don’t think cars will have to always trump this number moving forward with the lighter more advanced chassis and CAFE standards. Cars will get lighter and faster because of other technologies, not just increasing HP. Clearly HP isn’t everything as many here prefer the Z06 to ZR1 or Boss to GT500. Besides all this, the 650 HP number is just a number because we all know most of that will be unusable at the low end with the same stock tires.

As if 200 mph top speed isn’t just a marketing exercise, the ultimate ‘hero lap’? Way more people will track a ZL1 than will reach 200 mph in the GT500. I’d rather the engineering time went to other things than top speed.

peteypab2133

Established Member
All cars lose power in heat, but I agree with you on the heat soak issues.

not to sound like a jerk, but if you were a mustang owner or fan for that matter on camaro5 forum you would be banned for even questioning the car, or its performance. Glad we can have positive debate here without anyone losing their license to type! :beer:

I used to sell the newer camaro and I can honestly say that I could NEVER see out of it. I love the chopped top look of it, but the small windows and tight rear corners make it impossible to see easy. also coming over a crest in the road that also cuts into a bend, good luck.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
This will have to be the norm going forward for these top performing models because GM has set the standard. Hence, they have redefined the segment.

Just like Ford did in 2003? And again in 2011? They didn't just redefine the segment, they CREATED the segment. If you think the GT500 running a 2:58 at VIR wasn't a segment redefining moment then you're insane. Is the ZL1 faster now? Of course it is. The GT500 has been a stationary target since 2010. If GM couldn't beat a car that hasn't changed an iota since 2010, and is on a platform that's been in production since 2004, they'd have to be the biggest retards on the planet. The fact that they managed to accomplish this not so amazing feat does not make them geniuses or class redefiners.

Besides all this, the 650 HP number is just a number because we all know most of that will be unusable at the low end with the same stock tires.

Apparently "we all" don't know (i.e. you don't) that with revised gearing and launch control, the 2013 is going to blow the 11/12s away when it comes to getting the power to the ground. The 2013 doesn't pull harder, it pulls longer.

but in reality they are hoping 650 / 200 takes the focus off of the other inferior parts of the car as compared to the ZL1.

Just like GM is hoping a Nurburgring laptime takes the focus off the other inferior parts of the car as compared to the GT500. Things like the powerplant (especially internals), drag strip times, interior and options availability (real nav, recaros, etc), etc. GM can harp on laptimes all they want but the bottom line is that for serious track duty, a supercharged 4200 pound car is a very POOR choice (as is the GT500, tbh).

You say 200 MPH is meaningless because a lot more people will track the ZL1 than will top end a GT500, but a LOT more people will street and strip race BOTH cars than will track either of them, so by your same logic strip performance is far more important than track performance.

Last edited:

GarageLogic

Established Member
Just like Ford did in 2003? And again in 2011? They didn't just redefine the segment, they CREATED the segment. If you think the GT500 running a 2:58 at VIR wasn't a segment redefining moment then you're insane. Is the ZL1 faster now? Of course it is. The GT500 has been a stationary target since 2010. If GM couldn't beat a car that hasn't changed an iota since 2010, and is on a platform that's been in production since 2004, they'd have to be the biggest retards on the planet. The fact that they managed to accomplish this not so amazing feat does not make them geniuses or class redefiners.
P

Apparently "we all" don't know (i.e. you don't) that with revised gearing and launch control, the 2013 is going to blow the 11/12s away when it comes to getting the power to the ground. The 2013 doesn't pull harder, it pulls longer.

Just like GM is hoping a Nurburgring laptime takes the focus off the other inferior parts of the car as compared to the GT500. Things like the powerplant (especially internals), drag strip times, interior and options availability (real nav, recaros, etc), etc. GM can harp on laptimes all they want but the bottom line is that for serious track duty, a supercharged 4200 pound car is a very POOR choice (as is the GT500, tbh).

You say 200 MPH is meaningless because a lot more people will track the ZL1 than will top end a GT500, but a LOT more people will street and strip race BOTH cars than will track either of them, so by your same logic strip performance is far more important than track performance.
Better watch it, or GoldenBear is gonna come set you straight! Someone over on C5 tried to make the same point and the user GoldenBear's response was to ask for some sort of statistics/numbers to back up those claims. It's really sad, as common sense tells you this will be the case. Again, ZL1 fans simply downplay the areas of performance where the ZL1 is weak. :bored:

Moving forward chassis will change and weight will go down...
That is just speculation at this point. Sure, it's likely if the Camaro goes to the Alpha, but the idea that future cars weight is going to decrease while safety standards increase is a little naive.

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
QC issues on a mid model year release, This car will actually be in customers hands when the 2013's are being produced. It would be nice to find out why the initial shipped models were recalled... They might as well just call it a 2013 at this point. I know ZL1 guys are pissed that their cars have been buried in snow for 2 months.

They could be stock piling ZL1s to inflate sales numbers when the 2013 Mustangs start rolling out. Who knows, it is a cluster f@ck over there right now. I don't think Ford really needs to say anything, just let Team Camaro beat themselves up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread