Heat Soak Explanation and why to consider a Revan Racing Dual Fan Heat Exchanger

svtmadman

Established Member
:shrug:Have you had any dealing or RD on the '11s Van? I understand they have improved the cooling near 40% over previous models...But that being said i doubt it will hold up to pullied cars or Whipple/Bells and we will still need to invest in youre product correct?

Van@RevanRacing

:shrug:Have you had any dealing or RD on the '11s Van? I understand they have improved the cooling near 40% over previous models...But that being said i doubt it will hold up to pullied cars or Whipple/Bells and we will still need to invest in youre product correct?

I've got guys with 2011's buying the products. They improved the intercooler and enlarged the heat exchanger but it still heat soaks.

smallb69

Established Member
Any word from the roadracers,HPDE,track dayz? Im guessing thumbs up!

Just did 2 full days at Sebring this past weekend. Typical Florida muggy weather and mid-90s for temperatures. Car performed on the last session Sunday afternoon as it did on the first session Saturday morning. Hit mid 140s on the backstrectch like clock work everytime. I have Van's radiator and heat exchanger and they performed flawlessly. I never would have hit those speeds if the timing was being pulled.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I wire the fans to work with the water pump. There are some who have wired the intercooler pump and fans to run independent of the ignition system so they can move the fluid and pull the heat out with the fans running while the car is parked.

This is only beneficial for drag racing. If it is a daily driver or going out for a cruise it is not necessary. The temperatures drop very quickly with the fans on when the engine is runnning. As soon as you start it up it starts pulling out the heat.

I know this an old thread but it discussed the question I had.

Do you think if the pump and fans were run after the car was shut off for 5 minutes or so it would reduce the heat soak the car sees when restarted after sitting. I am thinking of wiring in a relay and timer to let the pump and fan run for a few minutes. I am told the pump alone will kill the battery pretty quickly though.

Bulldogger

Established Member

Do you think if the pump and fans were run after the car was shut off for 5 minutes or so it would reduce the heat soak the car sees when restarted after sitting. I am thinking of wiring in a relay and timer to let the pump and fan run for a few minutes. I am told the pump alone will kill the battery pretty quickly though.

Absolutely, if you run the pump and fans after shut down you will definitely pull more heat out of the system then just plain shut down.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
it would pull some heat but not much in my opinion unless you had the rad fan also running. the heat from the engine would keep the intercooler pretty warm. It the Rad fan was also running then that would defintely make a big difference but I think the bat would die quickly from the pump, HE fan, and Rad fan running. With a good HE,RAD you dont have to worry about it I know I dont

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
it would pull some heat but not much in my opinion unless you had the rad fan also running. the heat from the engine would keep the intercooler pretty warm. It the Rad fan was also running then that would defintely make a big difference but I think the bat would die quickly from the pump, HE fan, and Rad fan running. With a good HE,RAD you dont have to worry about it I know I dont
The Radiator fan wouldn't really do anything, it wouldn't seem unless the water in the engine was circulating.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Absolutely, if you run the pump and fans after shut down you will definitely pull more heat out of the system then just plain shut down.
Sounds good... I guess I just need to come up with a way to wire a timer and relay into the system that will come on with ignition off for a few minutes. I would like to make the timer adjustable.

cluscher

Established Member
I have had a lot of people inquire and ask about why there is such a difference with a Revan Racing dual fan heat exchanger versus heat exchangers with out fans.

The answer is in ambient and convective heat soak from the heat generated within the engine block.

When our cars are cold and we start them up and get going they are crisp and have tons of power because they are obviously cool. So what happens to many of us is we drive the car after it has gotten up to operating temperature and then we park the car. Whether you run in for a sandwich or whatever the car is sitting in a parking lot or your driveway after being warmed up and the operating temperature of the car is likely close to 180-200 plus degrees. When you let the car sit all of the heat from the block permeates the engine and subsequently the intercooler and the fluids within the intercooler and radiator causing those fluids to rise significantly. So an 30 minutes, an hour or two hours later you fire the car back up and it's completely heat soaked because nothing has been done to reduce ambient temperature because of the convective and ambient heat of the engine permeating and heat soaking the cooling mediums within the engine components.

When you utilize my dual fan heat exchanger the fans kick on and start to pull the heat from the heat exchanging and intercooling system immediately. Without fans you will have to drive the car for a good amount of time in order for the air to flow over the heat exchanger and cool the intercooler/heat exchanger fluid down to a point where timing is not pulled if you can get it to that point. Usually a long cruise on the highway can remedy the problem however stop and go traffic is brutal and difficult reduce the ambient temperature after a re-start.

The concept of the dual fans is that after the car has sat and gets heat soaked from sitting you immediately begin the process of removing the heat which gets you back into the power band much faster and gets the timing and spark advance retard point back to a point where it is under control and allows the ECU to provide you with maximum timing and spark advance.

In multiple data logs I have seen that the recover time of the intercooler fluid is much greater with the fans versus a non-fan heat exchanger. This is even faster when distilled water is utilized versus anti-freeze which is designe to retain heat, thus the reason why it is called 'Anti-Freeze', it holds heat.

A lot of people have said that I don't 'Race' my car. You don't have to 'race' your car to experience and utilize the benefits of a Revan Racing Dual Fan Heat Exchanger even if it is a daily driver.

Get the heat out as soon as possible and as quickly as possible.

Many drag racers use my heat exchanger with great success when they run back to back to back runs in something like True Street. For example, a member on SVT Performance, Kostas, actually improved his ET after each run at the NMRA event at Bradenton. His driving was good and his car wasn't pulling timing even as he went through the waiting time between rounds when you are not allowed to open your hood. And he doesn't have a trunk reservoir where you can access the trunk in a true street event. If he had not fans on the heat exchanger the idle temperatures would accelerate and his ET's would have been lower due to heat soak.

Please feel free to post your questions and I look forward to answering them.

Thanks

Van Collier
Revan Racing
561-445-7702
[email protected]

Probably worthwhile to provide a similar explanation regarding the benefits of your radiator. :beer:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Sounds good... I guess I just need to come up with a way to wire a timer and relay into the system that will come on with ignition off for a few minutes. I would like to make the timer adjustable.

just wire the relay to use a manual switch IMO, either in the engine bay or in the car itself. that way you can run it for as long as you like

Van@RevanRacing

I actually have a number of guys that drag race and road race. Regardless of whichever it is you want to participate in the objective is to let the car simply run for about 5 minutes after the blast down the track with everything running. This gives the engine cooling fluid an opportunity to cool down as well as the intercooler/heat exchanger fluid. It really depends on the length of time between runs. I even have guys fire the car back up to temperature 3-5 minutes before the run to get whatever ambient and convective heat soak has happened out of the engine. Your concept of a timer will work and probably work just fine. Just remember where the intercooler sits and the hot block heats that fluid up quickly. If you have data logging or gauges you can do a couple of quick blasts and watch how high the temperatures climb which is very quick. Thus the reason for a 5 minute shut down with all functions operating and a 5 minute cool down at start up.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier. I was picking up a customer car yesterday.

From your product information page:

Revan Racing » GT500 Dual Pass / Dual Puller Fan Air To Water Heat Exchanger Kits

"...made to the highest tolerances..."

Did you mean "made using the tightest tolerances"?

Other manufacturers pressure test their products to 20-25 PSI where we pressure test to 32 PSI. In this instance I was referring to highest 'pressure' tolerances.

Van

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Thanks Van, Appreciate your input. Any ideas on a suitable relay/timer that may be readily available. I searched but have not come up with anything.

Van@RevanRacing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread