HELP! 84 in 65 zone in NY on 87 North

Gambinotdx

Established Member
i was pulled over doing 84 in a 65 zone in NY on 87 north. i have a ticket here and was told to just mail it in. i was going to send in an explanation of why i was speeding (don't ask) but i was wondering what else i could do. i live 2 hours away from the court room. any suggestions other than don't speed again? i totally cooperated with the cop n all and everything was fine (i was in a rental car)...anyone know what the penalty is? any help is appreciated. (and i didn't even get my Lightning yet!) :cuss:

Ginsu

Established Member
Ok you have a slight chance but I do not know any NY cops. A couple things that you may have going for you are: 1) if you do not have a history then you may be able to talk to the prosecuter and see if he/she will at least reduce it (doubtfull it will be dropped) or maybe just pay the fine without the points. 2) if you were polite and curtious to the officer he may make a recommendation to the prosecuter to do so. If I snag someone going that fast then I generally stroke that person for the full amount for the simple fact of being totally unsafe. If it gets challenged (few of my citations or arrests do) then I remember the assholes and tell the prosecuter to hammer them. If the violator did not give me any problems then I do not have a problem with the ticket getting reduced so that person does not suffer from it too long.

Now remember one thing, if it was a traffic unit then you stand little chance because their mission in life is to hammer traffic violators. And some officers are just plain ticket nazi's and live to stoke people without mercy. There are some on my department... Good luck!

DON'T SPEED!
Sorry I could not resist!

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by Ginsu
If I snag someone going that fast then I generally stroke that person for the full amount for the simple fact of being totally unsafe. If it gets challenged (few of my citations or arrests do) then I remember the assholes and tell the prosecuter to hammer them. If the violator did not give me any problems then I do not have a problem with the ticket getting reduced so that person does not suffer from it too long.

Ditto

Gambinotdx

Established Member
well as it turns out the prosecutor IS THE OFFICER HIMSELF (a state trooper)! they deal with their own tickets! so i called him and asked if there is any play in the penalty. he basically said mail in the ticket, we'll look at your driving record (mine is perfectly clean) and go from there. so i decided to plea not guilty, and i'm going to speak with the officer before we enter the court and ask for a penalty with no points attached. i was very courteous to the officer. i had all the info i needed out when i was pulled over. i did everything i was supposed to. now he said the penalty is 4 points and a fine anywhere from 125-300 bucks. i'm just hoping to get rid of at least 2 points. money isn't an issue. i'll pay through the nose for no points. so we'll see.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
You said you were cool with him, so most likely he'll be cool with you...on summary offenses in PA it's the same way, the officer is the prosecutor. Good luck!

Tim Bindon

Established Member
Ouch. I don't know where hwy 87 is but I got picked up for 83 in a 55 on hwy 16 headed to Buffalo at 5am on a Sunday morning and the officer very reasonable with me. He asked where I was going and coming from then agreed with me that if he was headed a few hours past Detroit and was in the middle of NY at 5 am on a Sunday he'd be makin time too! Then he told me to slow down b/c of some snow and ice up ahead and have a safe trip. That guy was cool.

Let us know how your ticket turns out...

broncolightnin'

i got 88 in 65, worth 120 bucks, 2 points

hey, i share your pain on the speeding ticket(s), the week i got my 93 bronco, i decided i was going to open it up on the pa turnpke, i was doing an excellent job of weaving in and out of traffic, while passing a rest stop goin approximatly 92 mph, i saw headlights, you know those oh shit headlights way off on the side of the road, it was a pa state trooper, i mashed the brakes real quick to attempt to somewhat slow down without roasting my brakes, i slowed it down to 65 about 15 seconds after passing his radar zone, and blended in with traffic, i saw him pullout, but it took him a while to slice through the traffic, i saw him cut someone off behind me and squeeze in behind me, he threw lights and sirens on, the whole 9, lots of commotion, i put the 4 ways on and pulled off on an emergency pull off thing way out of the way of traffic, he came up to my car did the license and registration thing, but thanked me for pullin off in the pull off, he asked me if i knew why he pulled me over, and im think you dumbass why do you gotta mess with me like that, but i told him i knew i was goin fast, i wasnt gonna say how fast i was goin before i hit the brakes, but he said 88, so i was like ok. NOW HERES WHERE THE TICKET CAN BE MADE OR BROKEN. you gotta small talk him a little but, make him think your a nice guy, i made a small talk about how i didnt get my registration card and all i hade was the pink slip, so i was like i think this is what you need right? and he was like yea, and then he said im gonna give you a break cause you pulled off so far, he cut it down to 74 in a 65, which only got me 2 points. im pretty sure if he didnt give me a break i would have had 3 points and maybe a suspended license cause it was more than 23 over. BUT CASE IN POINT COME OFF AS A NICE GUY. let me know if you need advice on how to get out of a STREET RACING TICKET. thats a fun one.

MayorofTrukvile

Established Member
dont know how yankee cops are but i would deffenatly opt for a lawyer on that one there secretary can do more for you with one phone call than u up there at the court house begging for mercy trust me it will be worth the money

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Sorry it doesnt work that way up here in Yankeeville.

Lawyers are good for most serious offenses, but traffic violations are prosecutor and officer discretion.

z284u2try

Try this I hear it works pay five over the price of the ticket with a check and when they send you a refund of 5 dollars do not cash it then it can't be processed or something. I am not sure if it works just a trick I read about. Might work and if it does its well worth 5 dollars.

Black99CobraMF

Established Member
The last ticket i got was back in 1998 the officer said she clocked me going 55 in a 40 on the main road, and +70 in a 20 when i turned off on a side road. She ticketed me with, Drag racing, failing to stop for an officer, failing to signal and failing to stop for a stop sign.. a whopping record $582 ticket, reason i remember all of this is because my tax returns for that year were $583 i got a whopping $1 tax return.. the officer said should could have, had me arrested, impounded my car and cut up my licence.. i paid every bit of that ticket, didn't despute it, lost my licence for 90 days, and went to traffic school... i paid my dues because i deserved it..
P.S. this has to be some sort of record ticket... largest ticketed offence and being allowed to drive home... with your licence...
chime in if you'v got a higher one... or know what else she could have tacked onto that ticket to make it worse...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It depends on the state, not here. She could have impounded your car and told you that you garnered enough points during that one stop to place you on the suspended list.

Enjoy

hulk

Users who are viewing this thread