JLT Oil Separator Repair :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

cababah

Established Member
Umm so should all of us who have the older style JLT cans be sent free replacement fittings then since they seem like the will inevitably break?

Tucker

@Jay, i know you have already sent me some new plastic fittings due to me not being able to find 3/8th into 3/8ths around my area. Would it be possible to send me some black brass/alum fittings? I dont want to be a PITA, but from those pictures posted above i d like to replace my plastic ones for added security.
Let me know and ill e-mail my addy
By all means, send me an email with your info and we will get you the new fitting. No problem
Im sorry the Jlt just sitting on the cover didnt do it for me plus it started to rub . The Moroso really looks like it belongs there when you paint the fittings black . Im running a blower so the Jlt can filled up quick, now I dont have to check it all the time with the larger Moroso can .
Wait, the JLT doesn't sit on any cover. Sounds like you have a set up other then what's being discussed here. Maybe a custom set up due to your blower? We don't have kits for blower cars.

i had two clamps that kept coming loose on my other GT. JLT sent me new clamps no charge. Jay seems likre a really good guy
Thank you
Umm so should all of us who have the older style JLT cans be sent free replacement fittings then since they seem like the will inevitably break?
Seeing how JLT products are sold though hundreds of dealers it's not possible to just send out fittings.
Also, not everyone is having the issue. As I said, me along with tons of others have put them through major abuse without fail.

The bottom line is we are here, on the forums taking responsibility and letting the people know what's what.

Let me also say this in comparing to the Moroso kit.
Capacity: The JLT holds 2 oz and no engine should be dumping more then that in a short amount of time.

Looks: I'm sorry, but that just looks bad on my new 11/12 5.0. Maybe if you have an aftermarket Crenti blower with lots of extra rubber hoses and connections it may look at home, but not on a N/A car.

Empty: You don't need to remove the engine cover to remove the JLT. Also, if you simply hold the top while twisting the tank it's off in seconds. Now you can fully clean the tank with a paper towel. And you don't need to do this often. Some want to check it every couple hundred miles, but about every oil change is all that's needed. So every 3-4 months it should be checked.

Let's not turn this into a back and forth about which is better. It's a simple product and all of them work. Get which ever one works for you and your wallet.
Thank you to all our customers past and future. When you buy a JLT product you get my support of it.

[email protected]
757 335 1940
JLT PERFORMANCE, Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT

I'm always easy to get a hold of

Thanks
Jay

yellowrubiu

Established Member
Empty: You don't need to remove the engine cover to remove the JLT. Also, if you simply hold the top while twisting the tank it's off in seconds. Now you can fully clean the tank with a paper towel. And you don't need to do this often. Some want to check it every couple hundred miles, but about every oil change is all that's needed. So every 3-4 months it should be checked.

My bad, then I clearly misinterpreted the instructions on mine.... I guess this was only applicable to the initial install but given the recommendation above to remove the whole thing to empty it...

"BTW, we do put in the included directions to remove the unit to empty

... I was under the impression that I would have to go through this step every time.

jlt.jpg

Last edited:

Tucker

Exactly, I'm showing you how to lift the cover (1 second) and get to the clips to remove the hose. You don't need to remove the bar and cover, it's showing you how to just lift it up.
Thanks for taking the time to highlight and post the picture.

We tell you to check the tank every 1000 miles to get an idea of how much oil your getting, then you can gauge how much longer you can go between checking. If your getting a tablespoon @ 1000 miles, then your good to go for 3-5000 without worry of filling it.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Got my aluminum fitting today, Thanks Jay

I actually prefer the shorter threading as it sits hella flush vs the plastic fittings.
I added some silicone sealant and im letting it sit a day to ensure a tight seal.

Ill post pics when i re-install

Tucker

Good to hear.
The fittings can go in dry or with a dab of oil on the threads. Using the silicone won't hurt either.

Thanks
Jay

BigDan

Established Member
Same thing happened to mine and it was leaking boost and costing me hp for god knows how long. Ive since had them replaced with brass ones from the hardware store. It was my first and probably last JLT product I will buy.

Tucker

Oh Dan, really?
You've been bashing me and my products for years for what ever reason.

If your fittings breaking ruined your feeling for JLT then I'm so very sorry.
Let's act like big kids here and not children.

Great post!

Jay

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Got my aluminum fitting today, Thanks Jay

I actually prefer the shorter threading as it sits hella flush vs the plastic fittings.
I added some silicone sealant and im letting it sit a day to ensure a tight seal.

Ill post pics when i re-install

Just installed a JLT sep with the new fittings the other day. I noticed that they are shorter and look much better too.

BigDan

Established Member
Oh Dan, really?
You've been bashing me and my products for years for what ever reason.

If your fittings breaking ruined your feeling for JLT then I'm so very sorry.
Let's act like big kids here and not children.

Great post!

Jay

:dw:
It might be all in your head because this is the first time ever I brought up my broken product even though the breakage happened about 6 months ago. I even posted it in this members thread to focus more light on this problem to get it remedied and not to personally "Bash" you and the products you sell like you seem to think I do/ have been doing for years.

When have I personally "Bashed" you and what was it about because I cant remember? :shrug:

I also dont recall "Bashing" JLT products in the past.

Feel free to PM me if you dont want members to see all of this alleged "Bashing" because I spent a good 10 minutes searching and couldn't find any "Bashing" going on. :read:

You'd think there would be a bunch of threads started by me "Bashing" your products by the sort response you posted, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If you are going to personally and publicly make these accusations I sure hope you have proof of said personal "Bashes" and product "Bashing"

Is this the "Bashing" thread you are referring to?
2011 Cold Air intake mods

Lets be adults and get this figured out

Last edited:

cababah

Established Member
Same thing happened to mine and it was leaking boost and costing me hp for god knows how long. Ive since had them replaced with brass ones from the hardware store. It was my first and probably last JLT product I will buy.

How did you know what to look for when you were diagnosing the symptoms? I have one on my car and want to know what to look for? How did you know it was the fittings that were the problem?

It's just unsettling that such a relatively simple mod now has to be babysat during its lifetime for quality issues and subsequent performance degradation.

Jay you mentioned that you can't replace all the ones sold to other vendors but what about just taking care of the people that ordered from jlt directly? The fact that you're now using aluminum fittings proves that you are aware of the inferior design of the original units so why wait for us to have problems before fixing it?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I sure wish other companies and especially MY PERFORMANCE SHOPS would stand behind their products and NAME like JLT does. It just doesn't get any better. :beer:

Tucker

Jay you mentioned that you can't replace all the ones sold to other vendors but what about just taking care of the people that ordered from jlt directly? The fact that you're now using aluminum fittings proves that you are aware of the inferior design of the original units so why wait for us to have problems before fixing it?
For several reasons I already stated here, but am very happy to post again.

Even with the aluminum fittings, there is no reason to grab and twist a large threaded tank. The side load is huge especially with aluminum and an O ring. About 50% of the people who had the fitting break were up front and told me they did this and I figured as long as people didn't do this it would be ok. So I posted some threads around the net explaining how to properly open and empty the separator.

I've done tons of testing on my GT500 on the street and track with no problem and now my 5.0. Both going to the drag strip running hard launch 11's and both at the road course which is brutal on a car and any parts attached.
None have broke while testing.

As far as just sending out parts to all who own one:
With literally hundreds of JLT dealers and thousands of oil separators sold the amount having issue is very small.
With that said I still felt the need to improve the product and stand behind it, so we are.

I'm not sure how some feel the need to still come at me and try and turn it around? Hey that's the internet right? Let's see if we can make a dent in his sales. Let's try and make him look bad.

When you would think most would say, "Hey, JLT's found a flaw and fixed it. Now they're replacing the bad parts for free. Hmm that's pretty stand up if you ask me"

Look, you can spin it how ever you want. The bottom line is it's a simple fitting failure and we fixed it.

I never heard from Dan about this situation so I was never given the chance to help him.
You can't help someone with a problem if not given the chance. As you can see everyone who emailed or called has received new fittings free of charge.

I'm not sure what more we can do, but say it again.
If you have an issue with ANY JLT product call or email me direct.

Cababah, If your fittings are broke you will know, but simply remove the unit (2 seconds using the clips) and inspect it. If you need or simply want new fittings just contact me about it. I'll send you some right away.

Dan,
That thread is one of many I seem to see you in making sure another product is pushed over mine. I don't have the time to search out threads and highlight areas where this occurred, but how else would your name stand out in my mind?
Maybe it's not as many as it seems, but I just don't understand the hostility toward me or us.
Your car's pretty bad ass and were all just Mustang fans, but when it's your company (or baby) you tend to take things personal.

Maybe someday you would be willing to try the new fittings and even a Big Air Intake on that GT500.:beer:

Thanks for the support
Jay

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
So just to be clear, the only people having issues with the old fittings breaking are the ones who are not removing the unit to empty the oil?

Last edited:

Tucker

I don't think that was said.
Some have told me they dropped a part on it while working on the car, twisted it while hot and so one.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Just installed a JLT sep with the new fittings the other day. I noticed that they are shorter and look much better too.

agreed, i like how they sit flush to can instead of seeing the threads with the plastic ones

So just to be clear, the only people having issues with the old fittings breaking are the ones who are not removing the unit to empty the oil?

This was how mine broke.
Completely my fault i wont deny that, i was just being lazy about taking the extra 20 seconds to take the whole system off.

So my advise is take the system off the car and then unscrew the separator when emptying

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If you hold the top more force than it takes to unscrew the can you shouldn't have a problem. It really isn't that much force.

gtmiller1001

Established Member
Wanted to step in and say I've had FLAWLESS cust service from Jay. Bought my first mod from these guys (CF CAI) and have the separator. My plastic fitting broke as well and he immediately sent me the aluminum one. No problems since.

People need to realize that in manufacturing there is NO way to account for every customers conditions/atmosphere. I know a guy in town here who has one and has had the plastic fittings for longer than I've had my car, no problems.

Mine broke pretty quick, who knows why. Bottom line is when the problem occurred JLT stepped up and fixed it for me (and it seems everyone else) immediately and with no questions asked.

Thanks or standing behind your products and actually providing post-sale assistance, something alot of people forget as soon as they get your money.

LittleBean

Established Member
are both the fittings now aluminum or just the straight one leading to under the engine cover?

anybody care to post a picture with the new fitting(s), just want a look

or maybe Tucker can post a pic, the ones on JLT's website are with the plastic fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread