Kb 2.1

mystickb1996

Established Member
yes it works the same as an 03 cobra would with a bosch intercooler pump and a front mount heat exchanger with water or a mix of water and antifreeze.. that was the first one i did, from that my friend that owns a machine shop would write a program and cnc the pieces on a mill so they are all exactly the same. if you look close this would completely eliminate the metal piece that to kenne bell originally mounted to.

laddanator

Established Member
yes it works the same as an 03 cobra would with a bosch intercooler pump and a front mount heat exchanger with water or a mix of water and antifreeze.. that was the first one i did, from that my friend that owns a machine shop would write a program and cnc the pieces on a mill so they are all exactly the same. if you look close this would completely eliminate the metal piece that to kenne bell originally mounted to.

I would really like to have one made. I know you need more than just me. I can put it up til I decide on the Kenne Bell. I have a Paxton setup now I would like to sell or trade for a Kenne Bell.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
The 2.1L KB on my 5.0L 4V B-head stroker with a 2:1 drive ratio (2-1/2" blower pulley/5" damper) produces 10 psi. I spray a 50/50 meth/water mix through a 625 ml/min nozzle using a Snow Performance progressive methanol controller to keep air charge temps under control. I also run a manual second "stage" of injection, only active when the line locks are set in the burnout box to drop the before-launch ACT's.

Last time I dyno'd the car (over two years ago), it was at 478 rwhp/390 rwtq on 10 psi through a 4R70W and IRS. I've knocked over three tenths off the E.T.'s and picked up over three MPH in the quarter through further tuning since then, still on 10 psi. I'm not sure what it would dyno at now.

A properly dialed in meth/water injection system makes a BIG difference in the power potential of these non-IC KB setups.

engine2-9-13.jpg

Last edited:

laddanator

Established Member
Hey guys this is my intercooled setup that I made. And if there is enough interest I would consider making a run of 10 or so of them. I also made it the size you see because at the time i was running a stock hood, and with vary minor modification by the tb this will fit a stock hood. For those of you running a cowl hood and can clear more I would consider a 2 1/2in setup. If people have any questions let me know

Thanks
Alex

Actually hope to be buying a KB in the next two weeks. I have a 95 Cobra R 3.5 cowl hood so I would like to try one of these kits with a bigger heat exchanger.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I think with the extra hood clearance you could get some great cooling effect from mystickb1996s' intercooler setup. I would really like to see some dyno #'s for 20 psi and some well ported and polished B heads, it would be pretty sick.

As for methanol, you can buy it from any methanol kit supplier/distributor, SNOW performance, american muscle.com. And I think you can get it from any autoparts store, window de-icer, i think??

laddanator

Established Member
Wonder if you pump method thru the heat exchanger instead of antifreeze? Or does method evaporate with heat?

mystickb1996

Established Member
if there is enough interest in this im planning on putting this together and making these available for people.. i can tell alot of you are in the same place i was with the KB heat soak. and the intercooler i made was efficient and the phenolic core kept the blower cooler also vs the aluminum that KB uses. my IAT's dropped considerably.. "ImThatGuy is correct with a cowl hood and extra clearence i would be able to make a bigger core that would be even more efficient. say a 3in core with 18-20psi from a 2.1 and i think we will all see the true potential the 2.1...

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Last time I dyno'd the car (over two years ago), it was at 478 rwhp/390 rwtq on 10 psi through a 4R70W and IRS. I've knocked over three tenths off the E.T.'s and picked up over three MPH in the quarter through further tuning since then, still on 10 psi. I'm not sure what it would dyno at now.
Knocked off another tenth and picked up another 0.6 MPH this past Saturday. Still at 10 psi. :banana:

Wonder if you pump method thru the heat exchanger instead of antifreeze? Or does method evaporate with heat?
Assuming "method" = methanol? Water is a MUCH better means of heat transfer. Not to mention the safety factor involved.

laddanator

Established Member
Knocked off another tenth and picked up another 0.6 MPH this past Saturday. Still at 10 psi. :banana:

Assuming "method" = methanol? Water is a MUCH better means of heat transfer. Not to mention the safety factor involved.

Yes methanol. My phone decides to correct words that don't need correcting. Antifreeze it is then. Thanks!

mystickb1996

Established Member
antifreeze? couger was trying to tell you, run as much water as you can.. water is bettter in a intercooler setup.. unless you live where you have to worry about it freezing then run strait water
That's what I thought myself. Why can't we all just get along! :beer:

Yes methanol. My phone decides to correct words that don't need correcting. Antifreeze it is then. Thanks!

laddanator

Established Member
antifreeze? couger was trying to tell you, run as much water as you can.. water is bettter in a intercooler setup.. unless you live where you have to worry about it freezing then run strait water

I would have to use some antifreeze. It gets 16 degrees here sometimes. I would run straight water in the Summer with enough antifreeze in the winter to keep it from freezing.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Methanol is kind of aggressive with aluminum. You are better off with anti-freeze. That said, we're running water/methanol (windshield washer fluid) in my son's CRX intercooler, because the windshield washer bottle is the degas bottle. He wanted to keep his windshield washer functional. :)

laddanator

Established Member
Methanol is kind of aggressive with aluminum. You are better off with anti-freeze. That said, we're running water/methanol (windshield washer fluid) in my son's CRX intercooler, because the windshield washer bottle is the degas bottle. He wanted to keep his windshield washer functional. :)

Nice! Not a bad idea.

lastmanstanding

Established Member
yes, i had huge problems with my kb having iats over 200* at wot... And i did make a phenolic intercooler for a b headed kb. my setup worked vary well and i had alot of people contacting me to make them. the phenolic transfers vary little heat so it would keep the blower cooler, then i had a cooler between the 2 pieces of phenolic with lines leading to a front mount and pump.. i managed to get my iat around 150 pretty steady and cruising would see 130-135, then i had meth also spraying at wot and managed to get down to 115* or lower. I would say it was the highest whp 1.5 around, i think my last dyno when i had the car was 490whp if im not mistaken, yours is a 2.1 so you would make even more. i can look for pics and post them if your interested.

Where did you get the phenolic material to make the spacer? I would like to make one for my kb.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Thats good stuff mystickb1996! If you can get enough sales, definitely patent it. When i get my vortech sold for a KB, Ill be right there to snag one. Im curious, when you had your 1.5 making 490rwhp, how many lbs of boost were you running?

Users who are viewing this thread