Legal for no hood in NY (Leo's please reapond)

Sethsual

Established Member
Manhattan
1st Precinct (212) 334-0611 16 Ericsson Place
It is illegal to drive without a hood: Not sure, but probably not illegal.
Is it illegal to call 911 to ask the same question: No

Bronx
40th Precinct (718) 402-2270 257 Alexander Avenue
It is illegal to drive without a hood: Yes (Officer I spoke with was with the traffic department, and an authority on the matter)

Brooklyn
60th Precinct (718) 946-3311 2951 West 8th Street
It is illegal to drive without a hood: Yes
Is it illegal to call 911 to ask the same question: No, the dispatcher would transfer me.

Queens
100th Precinct (718) 318-4200 92-24 Rockaway Beach Boulevard
Is it illegal to call 911 to ask the same question: Get outta here! (read: No)

Staten Island
120th Precinct (718) 876-8500 78 Richmond Terrace
It is illegal to drive without a hood: Yes, but no ticket. Wat?
Is it illegal to call 911 to ask the same question: No, the dispatcher would transfer me.

Buffalo
Call/Resolution Center (716) 851-4890
It is illegal to drive without a hood: Yes, a moving violation.
Is it illegal to call 911 to ask the same question: Nope.

There ya have it. The general consensus is that it would be unwise to drive without the hood on the car. Also, I think a few people owe me an apology.
EDIT: For clarification, the way I presented my second question was as follows: "If I could not have found your non-emergency number, would it have been permissible to call 911 and ask the same question? In the event that I did call 911, would that have been illegal?"

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
but if you were so sure that calling 911 wasn't illegal .. why didn't you call 911 rather than the non emergency number?

I have the question out on a couple of police forums hopefully a NY cop will chime in. so far tho you are still wrong.

Manhattan
1st Precinct (212) 334-0611 16 Ericsson Place
It is illegal to drive without a hood: Not sure, but probably not illegal.

Bronx
40th Precinct (718) 402-2270 257 Alexander Avenue
It is illegal to drive without a hood: Yes (Officer I spoke with was with the traffic department, and an authority on the matter)

Brooklyn
60th Precinct (718) 946-3311 2951 West 8th Street

Queens
100th Precinct (718) 318-4200 92-24 Rockaway Beach Boulevard
Is it illegal to call 911 to ask the same question: Get outta here! (read: No)

Staten Island
120th Precinct (718) 876-8500 78 Richmond Terrace
It is illegal to drive without a hood: Yes, but no ticket. Wat?

Buffalo
Call/Resolution Center (716) 851-4890
It is illegal to drive without a hood: Yes, a moving violation.
Is it illegal to call 911 to ask the same question: Nope.

There ya have it. The general consensus is that it would be unwise to drive without the hood on the car. Also, I think a few people owe me an apology.

Sethsual

Established Member
but if you were so sure that calling 911 wasn't illegal .. why didn't you call 911 rather than the non emergency number? so far tho you are still wrong.
Please open up your mind to logic and common sense.
I am located in Wichita, KS, not New York. If I call 911, I would only reach my local 911 center. If I traveled to New York and used the same phone to dial 911, I would then get that area's respective 911 center. So, please tell me sir, how would I be able to reach 911 directly in New York without physically living there?

If the word of a former dispatcher of half a decade and several officers in the New York area is not sufficient evidence for you, then I am sorry to say that I think you're simply a lost cause. How you could possibly still say that I am wrong is baffling.

Testorossa, I am sorry that this thread of yours turned out like this. Hopefully the few phone calls I made this morning shed some light on the situation for you. In the future, according to officers local to you, please do not hesitate to call 911 with these types of questions.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
quit saying you were a "dispatcher for half a decade" like it is some accomplishment. that is 5 years. 5 years is nothing. you say half a decade like it is half a century which WOULD be an accomplishment.

as I said your word from wichita TO ME is worthless. I will wait until I get all the facts from actual cops directly. So far they are saying that it is illegal to call 911 for a non-emergency, so your flat out statement that it isn't illegal has already been proven wrong. no one owes you an apology.

Please open up your mind to logic and common sense.
I am located in Wichita, KS, not New York. If I call 911, I would only reach my local 911 center. If I traveled to New York and used the same phone to dial 911, I would then get that area's respective 911 center. So, please tell me sir, how would I be able to reach 911 directly in New York without physically living there?

If the word of a former dispatcher of half a decade and several officers in the New York area is not sufficient evidence for you, then I am sorry to say that I think you're simply a lost cause. How you could possibly still say that I am wrong is baffling.

Testorossa, I am sorry that this thread of yours turned out like this. Hopefully the few phone calls I made this morning shed some light on the situation for you. In the future, according to officers local to you, please do not hesitate to call 911 with these types of questions.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I tried to stay out of this. BUT, calling 911 for simple information is ignorant.

Specially in big cities where 911 is always busy. I'd hate to be put on hold in a life or death situation because somebody was calling an EMERGENCY line to ask a simple question.:nonono:

Say your kid was choking and you called 911 and it was busy because people using it for the wrong reason.

Sethsual

Established Member
quit saying you were a "dispatcher for half a decade" like it is some accomplishment. that is 5 years. 5 years is nothing. you say half a decade like it is half a century which WOULD be an accomplishment.

as I said your word from wichita TO ME is worthless. I will wait until I get all the facts from actual cops directly. So far they are saying that it is illegal to call 911 for a non-emergency, so your flat out statement that it isn't illegal has already been proven wrong. no one owes you an apology.
In my area, you train in a classroom setting for six months before you even sit the floor. For my last three years there, I was training others on how to perform the job. Five years in the profession means nothing to you? You don't consider me an authority on the workings of 911? That simply isn't logical. Despite the illogical view on my qualifications, and as I attempted to point out earlier, it isn't just my "worthless" word versus yours any longer. I called this morning and spoke with five officers as well as the individual in Buffalo, all of them in Testorossa's state, and each one of them advised me that calling with that question would be legal and permissible. So, there are five "actual cops" agreeing with me. Even still, you stand your ground. :bash:

I tried to stay out of this. BUT, calling 911 for simple information is ignorant.

Specially in big cities where 911 is always busy. I'd hate to be put on hold in a life or death situation because somebody was calling an EMERGENCY line to ask a simple question.:nonono:

Say your kid was choking and you called 911 and it was busy because people using it for the wrong reason.
The more heavily populated the area, the more dispatchers there are to answer the calls. It's that simple. During the five years I was dispatching, I can count how many times we had calls in que with only my hands.

Another take on it would be this, which I tried to explain earlier: In areas with similar departments as my own, someone could call the non-emergency number and still reach 911. They call before you, and they get the dispatcher. That dispatcher is then unable to help your choking child. So, in this instance, it doesn't matter one iota which avenue a caller chooses to get their questions answered, you still get put into the que. Thankfully, as I've pointed out numerous times, the dispatcher would quickly identify their needs and transfer them accordingly.

Please refer to my first post in which my first suggestion was to call the substation (aka, non-emergency line) before calling 911. Opinions aside, calling 911 in the event you can't locate a non-emergency number is legal (authority of six local sources with badges) and they don't even frown upon it. Do what you want, say what you want, but I'd call with these types of questions without blinking an eye.

I've done what I could to try and educate y'all, to no avail. :shrug: Can we all just agree to disagree and move the fu** on already?

Hugs 'n kisses,
Sethsual

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I called at 2:30am a couple weeks ago and got "please Hold"

The economy sucks. Jobs are cut. Times have changed.

I still think calling 911 to ask a simple question is ignorant and could be harmful to other actual EMERGENCY callers.

Was 911 set up for info or as an emergency number??????

Sethsual

Established Member
I called at 2:30am a couple weeks ago and got "please Hold"

The economy sucks. Jobs are cut. Times have changed.

I still think calling 911 to ask a simple question is ignorant and could be harmful to other actual EMERGENCY callers.

Was 911 set up for info or as an emergency number??????
While it is true that many sectors are suffering, being a 911 dispatcher is like being a doctor or a plumber. Ya always gotta pooh, you eventually get sick, and you (hopefully rarely) have to call 911. We were always hiring for good people, but unfortunately not always actually hiring the good ones. Our area's 911 served as both an emergency and non-emergency line.

Imagining someone calling 911 and actually being placed on hold is mind-boggling! We had a "hold" function but never, ever, used it.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
While it is true that many sectors are suffering, being a 911 dispatcher is like being a doctor or a plumber. Ya always gotta pooh, you eventually get sick, and you (hopefully rarely) have to call 911. We were always hiring for good people, but unfortunately not always actually hiring the good ones. Our area's 911 served as both an emergency and non-emergency line.

Imagining someone calling 911 and actually being placed on hold is mind-boggling! We had a "hold" function but never, ever, used it.

You seem to have missed my question.:dw:

Plus how long since you were a dispatcher?

Last edited:

Sethsual

Established Member
Maybe I did misunderstand the question. I understood the question as asking if our 911 was for information or emergencies, one or the other. It was not solely for emergencies, nor was it solely for informational purposes. We catered to creatures of all kinds and for numerous reasons. To put it in perspective, only roughly half the calls taken were from people in emergency situations.

While I admit it was frustrating at first, I quickly learned that the responsibilities of a 911 dispatcher are vast; they have far more responsibility than simply saving lives.

I quit in February of this year in lieu of a very enticing offer in the private sector. (Which I can thank for the opportunity to own my Termi)

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Maybe I did misunderstand the question. I understood the question as asking if our 911 was for information or emergencies, one or the other. It was not solely for emergencies, nor was it solely for informational purposes. We catered to creatures of all kinds and for numerous reasons. To put it in perspective, only roughly half the calls taken were from people in emergency situations.

While I admit it was frustrating at first, I quickly learned that the responsibilities of a 911 dispatcher are vast; they have far more responsibility than simply saving lives.

I quit in February of this year in lieu of a very enticing offer in the private sector. (Which I can thank for the opportunity to own my Termi)

I didn't say anything about "our" 911. I don't care how "your" 911 did it.

"Was 911 set up for info or as an emergency number??????"

911 was set up as an emergency call system.
I truly think it's ignorant for a former 911 operator to tell people to call an emergency number for a NON emergency question.

The History of 911 Emergency Calls

911.gov | When to Call 911

Emergency 9-1-1 - Help Us Help Out

EMERGENCY 9-1-1:
CALL WHEN IT COUNTS
Call 9-1-1 if there is a threat to loss of life or property. An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance of emergency medical services, the police department or the fire department. Call Emergency 9-1-1 to:

SAVE A LIFE.
STOP A CRIME.
REPORT A FIRE.
In any other situation, please contact your local non-emergency authorities.

LVMPD > File a Police Report > When to Call 911

When to Call 911
9-1-1 is only to be used in emergency situations. An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police, the fire department or an ambulance. If you are ever in doubt of whether a situation is an emergency you should call 9-1-1. It's better to be safe and let the 9-1-1 call taker determine if you need emergency assistance.
Do not call 9-1-1:

for information
for directory assistance
for paying traffic tickets
for your pet
as a prank
If you call 9-1-1 by mistake, do not hang up. Tell the call taker what happened so they know there really isn't an emergency.

Some people just don't get it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
In my area, you train in a classroom setting for six months before you even sit the floor. For my last three years there, I was training others on how to perform the job. Five years in the profession means nothing to you? You don't consider me an authority on the workings of 911? That simply isn't logical. Despite the illogical view on my qualifications, and as I attempted to point out earlier, it isn't just my "worthless" word versus yours any longer. I called this morning and spoke with five officers as well as the individual in Buffalo, all of them in Testorossa's state, and each one of them advised me that calling with that question would be legal and permissible. So, there are five "actual cops" agreeing with me. Even still, you stand your ground. :bash:
:lol: :lol: :lol: your 5 "years" does not make you an expert on the rules for 911 in every state. you found a whopping 5 people who agreed with you. did you ask them if they were talking about THEIR state or were they talking for all 50. YOU said you could not get arrested for it I showed you where you were wrong. and yet you continue to hold your position that it is not illegal. here is what a cop from alabama said:

Yes that is illegal. In most states it is considered *misuse of a emergency communication line* If it is not a emergency, then do not call it. In Alabama, dispatch takes it so seriously that if you dial 911 for such a stupid question & hang up, or prank call them; then they will trace your number back to your location to arrest you.

Here is another one from alabama:

Agreed, furthermore, the morons who do this may be delaying help to those who really need it. In any city there are only so many dispatchers and phone lines. Some idiot calling the system to argue legal issues or do anything else but report a crime is tying up the line and dispatcher from a real emergency.

and here is one from Texas:

Uh....NO!! All I can say to the guy from Kansas who dispatched for 5 years is. It must be REALLY slow there!

We get a lot of stupid calls like that and we handle them on a case by case basis meaning, if you are a chronic abuser or if it was an egregious violation its a pretty safe bet to say that you're going to take a ride. Most often though, these calls fall into two categories. 1) elderly people who just don't know any better, 2) dumb people who don't have a clue. In both cases most are first time offenders and with the occasional exception (usually with the elderly) they don't happen again.

That being said, for your typical, first time stupid question like "is it okay to drive without a hood" most likely you'll get a warning. But, it's up to the responding officer to decide what's appropriate he/she may issue a citation or make an arrest if they feel the situation warrants it.

oh and here is one from CT:

Try that crap in CT and you WILL find yourself under arrest. We have a specific statute for "Misuse of a 911 Line".....its meant for EMERGENCIES ONLY. IF the dispatcher wants to be nice they will state this is NOT an emergency please call back on the routine line...click.

so bottom line - no I don't believe you or trust your word since it is wrong and wrong headed. Your advice stinks and is an invitation to more trouble than it is worth. Call the non-emergency number and you won't look like a dumbass

I am sure there will be more responses as times goes on. shall I continue to post them up here so we can all see how "it's not illegal and there is nothing wrong with it"?

as far as the rest of your post I think I will ignore it as the drivel it is and stick with the cops point of view. If I get a new york cop response I'll let you know

I've done what I could to try and educate y'all, to no avail. :shrug: Can we all just agree to disagree and move the fu** on already?
well except for this. the answer is no because I will not "agree to disagree" with misguided advice that someone else reading this might take and get themselves in trouble.

p.s. you might want to read up on the rule about circumventing the obscenity filter. it's a hoot.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you should have bought a Terminator they are much more fun

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
That's why the dispatcher would transfer you. Duh. You're wrong, I'm right. Drop it. Let it die, FFS!!

testorossa, where in NY do you live?

I swear, you do not get it. You do realize that there is a law out there for calling the 911 emergency line for non emergency purposes right? It is an arrest able offense. Show me the emergency on the OP's post / question, I will shut up. Apparently in your town everyone calls 911 and then the operator transfers them where ever. How many people live in your town, 10?

911 - emergency only. simple is that... law says so.. :burn:

musclefan21

Established Member
the more I read, the more retarded he becomes.

Ok, just an example for my own state, IL, it is a disorderly conduct to call 911 for a non emergency situation, false alarm, falser reporting, or a reasonable person would believe the situation was not an emergency. You go to jail... While I don't know the laws for other states, I would assume they would be very similar.

once again, doesn't matter how you guys handle calls, who transfers who to wherever... you are simply advising someone to commit a crime by telling them to call 911 for non emergency situations

Last edited:

Sethsual

Established Member
I didn't say anything about "our" 911. I don't care how "your" 911 did it.

"Was 911 set up for info or as an emergency number??????"

911 was set up as an emergency call system.
I truly think it's ignorant for a former 911 operator to tell people to call an emergency number for a NON emergency question.
What its purpose was when it was created is besides the point. It has obviously evolved. As a side note, it is very amusing that you would imply I am ignorant after only days ago slapping me with an "infraction" for the same. The rest of your post only proves my earlier point about everyone's narrow-mindedness in regards to this matter. The only snippet that applies *when misconstrued* is the bit about not calling "for information." Surely this refers to those that would call 911 and ask the time, or what the date was, or what the number to 911 is (each of these actually happened). It does NOT apply to people requesting to speak to someone for clarification in regards to LAWS, something in which the officers are responsible for enforcing. 99% of the general population doesn't have the officer's cell phone number, and a vast majority of the rural communities across this great nation simply don't have non-emergency numbers, so how else are they to make contact with those who can help them out? According to y'all, these folks would simply be S.O.L. and be forced to risk driving around without a hood, and subsequently be ticketed.

your 5 "years" does not make you an expert on the rules for 911 in every state. you found a whopping 5 people who agreed with you. did you ask them if they were talking about THEIR state or were they talking for all 50. YOU said you could not get arrested for it I showed you where you were wrong. and yet you continue to hold your position that it is not illegal.
I never once implied that I was an authority for every state. As matter of fact, I pointed out several times that many areas are set up differently (some officers are the dispatchers, some dispatchers are just normal Joe Blow's off the street, some Joe Blow's work WITH the officers in the same buildings, others without). In reference to the five officers that agreed with me, they were speaking for New York. Why? -Because it applied to the topic at hand. If you'd recall, this was started by a New Yorker seeking clarification on a law in, gasp, New York. When I suggested he call 911 to speak with an officer (only after failing to reach a substation), I surely wasn't implying that he drive to New Jersey in order to make the call. Also, again, I affirm that you simply WILL NOT be arrested for calling 911 and asking to speak to an officer.

In reference to your numerous red rants, here is what I have to say: Judging by the responses you posted, you undoubtedly misrepresented not only myself, but the topic we're discussing.

The first red rant refers to asking a stupid question and hanging up or pranking 911. Even though asking stupid questions and/or hanging up doesn't apply here, I guarantee you that the officer (or his supervisor) will not waste his time giving you a ride to the pokey for this. During a single shift, I'd easily field 15-20 "hangup" calls. Any guesses as to how many of those people went to jail because of it? -NOT A SINGLE ONE. Imagine this red rant's logic as such: "911?" "May I please speak to an officer in regards to clarification for a law?" -Do you honestly think their response would be 1) "No! But we will come find you and arrest you!" or 2) "Sure, let me transfer you. One moment please." Sadly, out of stubbornness, I imagine you'd side with the former. Another thing about this post from Alabama is that they're incorrect in saying they'd "trace" you. Cell phone providers absolutely will not ping cell phones unless it is a true life-of-death situation. I'd tell you how I know, but you wouldn't believe me because, according to you, I'm probably the farthest thing from an authority on the matter.

Your next red rant refers to arguing legal issues while on the 911 line. This doesn't apply at all, as you'd only be requesting to speak with an officer. Once in touch with the LEO, you wouldn't be arguing anything - you'd professionally (if you're capable of being professional) ask a quick, simple question and surely receive the same in the form of a response. In regards to tying up the line, see my earlier response to the choking child.

The third red rant speaks the truth - but it does NOT apply here. I feel like you're banging your own head on a wall FOR ME. Several egregious violations (read: calling often to ask the time, or the date) will not be received well. Asking to speak to an officer for clarification on a law is a completely different matter. You wouldn't receive a warning, citation, or be arrested for speaking to an officer on the phone. If you requested a house visit to discuss the law, then maybe so.

Bottom line is that I'm wrong? Show me how I'm wrong! Show me a single instance of a citizen utilizing 911 in order to make contact with LEO in regards to clarification on a law resulting in EVEN ONE arrest. You say you'll stick with the cop's point of view, but you're discounting the officers I spoke with today. Why? Thick-headedness and unwillingness to admit fault, I'd say.

No amount of googling and loosely based references can change the fact that you all have misconstrued the situation. Reply if you must (and I trust you will, as each of you seem to be eThugs who must have the last word), but you're all wrong in THIS situation. I'm unsubbing and moving on, and I hope you can do the same. There is enough (mis)information here that an educated person can come to their own conclusion on how to proceed.
Let. This. Die.

Warmest Regards,
Sethsual

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
As a side note, it is very amusing that you would imply I am ignorant after only days ago slapping me with an "infraction" for the same.

Show me where I actually called you ignorant. Oh, you can't.:nonono:

Your infraction was for actual name calling and was earned.

The proof is printed in front of your face but you refuse to see it because that would mean YOU'RE WRONG

Thank God you are no longer a police dispatcher. This world is already screwed up enough.:nonono:

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
SNIPPED as more useless rantings of a self proclaimed expert

you have been shown numerous times that you are WRONG but you can't see it because you are unable to comprehend what you read. I don't know what you are doing now for a living but hopefully you are not an analyst, cause you would suck at it.

My "red rantings" as you call them are post by actual LEOs who are familiar with their states, something you are not. EVERY ONE of them said you can be ticketed or arrested for mis-use of 911. and since you accuse me of lying to get the answers I got here is my post from the police forums:

Ok I am not an LEO. Just joined the site today and am interested in looking around. but I have gotten into a discussion on another board (car related) and I want to get the straight scoop.

Discussion revolves around whether or not it is illegal to call 911 to "get a question answered". the question initially asked was "is it illegal to drive without a hood in New York?". one guy responded with "Just call 911 and ask them, if they can't tell you they will transfer you to someone who can".

I promptly responded with "do NOT do this, it is illegal and can get you into trouble"

his response was that he was a 911 dispatcher for 5 years somewhere in Kansas and they did it all time and that a)there is nothing wrong with it b) it's done all the time c) you cannot get into legal trouble for doing it and d) you can't get arrested for it.

now I know that arrest is usually saved for people who seriously abuse the system. but that does no mean calling 911 for a dumb question is not a mis-use of the system, nor does it mean that it is not illegal.

so if y'all would be so kind as to let me know what your state's rule/law is I would be very grateful. also if you have one could you please tell me what section of law applies so I can post it up for him.

I did try google but for a question like this it is pretty worthless because of all the trash sites.

thanks much,

Now Mr. "I was a dispatcher for half a decade" exactly where did I misrepresent you or the question at hand? since you have trouble comprehending what you read, maybe someone else can help you find it.

Users who are viewing this thread