LEVEL 5 IRS or THE RED PILL

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
mccoigk said:
Just wondering -- would any of the #1 - 7 mods void my warranty?

yes

so does using non-factory air in the tires......

If you smoke your diff due to wheelhop they will probably deny warranty also.

pick your evil

95RioRed

Established Member
some mods are more likely to void your warranty than others. Power adders will definately void it .. depending on the dealer. Things likes braces and bushings are much less likely to but again it depends on the dealer find one that is mod friendly and never ever piss them off LOL!

It never ceases to amaze me that Ford advertises these cars as sports cars and even shows them doing burnouts in some publicity clips yet voids our warranty when we do the very same thing.

HPCOBRA

New*****UsedCobra03
Established Member
Installing cradle in my 03 vert. today after making my own (have machine shop [Pork Barrel Engineering])Delrin Bushings using Aluminum Silicon Bronze crush sleeves. Tolerances are critical with each bushing point. Everything is different from press fit bushing tolerances to where each bushing point is in relation to the other. Arms move tightly which will wear in and loosen up as the frame gets used to the new setup. The tabs welded to the cradle are NOT precise after repeated wheel hop events. I would highly recommend using the Delrin with Aluminum Silicon Bronze. MM and ace427 should consider using this material as it has oil in the Bronze and won't squeek like the Urethane bushings and should last a lifetime.
The other bushings I'm using are Urethane for the Subframe, front and rear diff, swaybar; Diff brace and Subframe Brace from Billetflow, MM Subframe Connectors, used Coupe Springs...just about everything on postban's list except Toe Link Bars and Level 5 Halfshaves. Severe wheel hop drove me to it. I'll post up the results.

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
Great info! You have fully convinced me that a solid axle is definately the way to go for me. Not even going to think about it anymore. Thanks!

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Yet another thing that has got me thinking. PHP makes the HD tie rods or toe link bars, and MM makes the adjustable tie rod ends. Would the adjustable ends be worth buying in addition to the PHP bars? Will they even work with the PHP bars? HHMMMM??

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
DSG2003SVT said:
Yet another thing that has got me thinking. PHP makes the HD tie rods or toe link bars, and MM makes the adjustable tie rod ends. Would the adjustable ends be worth buying in addition to the PHP bars? Will they even work with the PHP bars? HHMMMM??

The MM ends only work on the stock noodles.

hmwave

Established Member
postban said:
To be used only in extreme cases due to rough ride, basically destroys the feel of IRS. Also please realize the possibility of the shocks actually breaking the eyelets.
11)Strange ADJ Shocks $59ea from HBH Billetflow mount bushings $50

What feel is destroyed?

I've had a set of these waiting to go on for a while (recall mine were one of the first sets to lose the eyelets a while back because my Strange's had the different eyelet profile, Doug sent me a replacement set).

I was about to fit them again.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
what about the car swaying left and right under hard 3rd gear acceleration?

I have nothing like that, no sway in any gear under very hard acceleration.

Worn or weak stock components might be to blame.

check out #8 maybe. Your rear wheels actually "turn" some as your toe-link bars flex, could be it too. Seems unlikely it would be at 3rd gear speeds though.

97CobraTT

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra
Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
what about the car swaying left and right under hard 3rd gear acceleration?

Mine does that at any speed/gear. I think it's due to the need for an alignment now. If you rock my wheel back and forth you can feel the rear end "walking" side to side a bit behind me. What do you have for that one?
I just finished up last night installing my Level 5's, MM Urethane IRS front/rear bushings/front and rear diff bushings.

**EDIT** After further examination I realized I did not put the beveled washer on the axles BEFORE putting it into the spindle. Thankfully I didn't drive it more than a mile home from my shop and didn't damage the bearings at all. I thanked my lucky stars today when I fixed it. Now just have to wait until my stabalizer end links come in tomorrow as they are just and making a god aweful clunking noise. BTW Postban I cannot thankyou enough for your level 5 write up!!!!!! I followed it to a T and everything came out and went in smoothly. I also had the advantage of a lift so I unbolted it all in the air, lowered it and removed the rear subframe bolts and raised the lift back up :)

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
the eyelet on one of my Strange shocks just broke. #11 on the list, my advice is skip it for sure.

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
postban, though I do not have a 500hp 99' Procharged Cobra (451.9) last dyno, just completed the IRS upgrading to Level 5 (to allow for future hp increases, for better handling, etc) and the end result is that the IRS or rear end feels ohhhhhh soooo much better/solid when do mid-to-high speed cornering, full stop and go accelerating, etc.

Probably the best upgrades I have put on the 99' thus far, and assuredly, well worth doing; nearly "a must".
Money well spent, IMHO.

Thank you for the taking the time to make such a complete, helpful, and outstanding topic thread on/for Cobra IRS upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread