Mag Lights -- Illegal or Not

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
Mag-Lites -- Illegal or Not

I have been carrying a mag-light (similar to the police issue one) in my car for quite some time. I have been wondering LEO's, is it illegal for me to have a mag-light? I often get nails in my tire, stop to help others with car problems, and have other random issues which constitute a heavy duty flashlight.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. :beer:

Last edited:

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
i am not LEO but why would it be illegal for you to have a flash light inless you were using it to spot light animals or somethign from your car. But a few cars come with tool kits that have flash lights.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
maybe if you beat somebody with it. But i have one in my car and one in my truck. I hope its not.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Bl4ckedoutc0bra said:
I have been carrying a mag-light (similar to the police issue one) in my car for quite some time. I have been wondering LEO's, is it illegal for me to have a mag-light? I often get nails in my tire, stop to help others with car problems, and have other random issues which constitute a heavy duty flashlight.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. :beer:

Yes, unfortunately they are illegal for you to possess. Please place it in a box and ship it to me, thanks. :beer: :beer:

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
Are you serious?

It's a damn flashlight, they're legal everywhere! Well, maybe not in NJ, NY, or CA... You can even carry them out in the open on your belt and walk into any bank, or school, or even a police station. I bet you can even pack them in carry on luggage and take them on a plane!

Unless it has a tuft of human scalp or blood all over it that isn't yours, that may get you a few questions... Don't use the battery compartment to smuggle little baggies of drugs either. I assure you that a police dog will find them.

:pepper: :pepper: Smartass off :pepper: :pepper:​

I would actually recommend for everyone to have a maglite of any size available wherever they spend a lot of time. Keep a few at home and one in every car. They're a good reliable product in all sizes and they come at a fair price. I've had many of the AA sized ones over the years. I either lose them or give them away but I've never worn one out or broke one. I still have 2 or 3 lying around the house and keep one in the car at all times. I use the AA size because they're size makes them very convenient and yet they still provide plenty of light. The big ol' D sizes are even better but they can get bulky.

MAGLITE

I'm a fan of maglites myself, but there are other good choices too. The LED ones kick ass!

PELICAN LIGHTS

LEOs shouldn't feel threatened by a simple flashlight in a car. It's a safety device first and foremost. If you break down or get a flat or whatever after dusk they're a necessity. The only way it could be threatening is if you act threatening as in swinging it like club with a crazed look in your eyes. And in that case, LEOs usually have a whole series of tools at their own disposal to counter such situations. Things like mace, and stun guns, and pistols, and shotguns, and batons, and knives, and even flashlights of their very own!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
BTW - All forms of currency in denominations above $20 are also illegal, so if you have any, include them in the box with the flashlight. :beer:

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
lol..

The reason I asked is that mini-baseball bats are illegal to have in your vehicle, yet a mag-light is over double the weight and is metal.

Thanks for all of the replies. :beer:

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
i have one in the glove box...like a 3 C battery one. looking to get the monster like 4 d battery flashlight sometime soon.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
To the best of my knowledge, they are not illegal, if they are....Wal-Mart sells them, as do other retailers.

I carry a red 3D at all times in the car. Even comes real close to matching redfire.

If I had a black one I'd lose it in the carpet.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
i have the blue one which is a 3D cell i keep for home use when the lights go out and those types of situations.

arent there upgraded bulbs you can get for them too?

Last edited:

bchisom99

Established Member
I use to have a 6D, for no other reason than it was F'ing huge and I thought it was hilarious, and probably the worst thing to ever work on a car with, to bad it was stolen, then I got a ticket for having it stolen and not using it correctly under the laws of ohio...

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Labinnac said:
Are you serious?

It's a damn flashlight, they're legal everywhere! Well, maybe not in NJ, NY, or CA... You can even carry them out in the open on your belt and walk into any bank, or school, or even a police station. I bet you can even pack them in carry on luggage and take them on a plane!

Unless it has a tuft of human scalp or blood all over it that isn't yours, that may get you a few questions... Don't use the battery compartment to smuggle little baggies of drugs either. I assure you that a police dog will find them.

:pepper: :pepper: Smartass off :pepper: :pepper:​

I would actually recommend for everyone to have a maglite of any size available wherever they spend a lot of time. Keep a few at home and one in every car. They're a good reliable product in all sizes and they come at a fair price. I've had many of the AA sized ones over the years. I either lose them or give them away but I've never worn one out or broke one. I still have 2 or 3 lying around the house and keep one in the car at all times. I use the AA size because they're size makes them very convenient and yet they still provide plenty of light. The big ol' D sizes are even better but they can get bulky.

MAGLITE

I'm a fan of maglites myself, but there are other good choices too. The LED ones kick ass!

PELICAN LIGHTS

LEOs shouldn't feel threatened by a simple flashlight in a car. It's a safety device first and foremost. If you break down or get a flat or whatever after dusk they're a necessity. The only way it could be threatening is if you act threatening as in swinging it like club with a crazed look in your eyes. And in that case, LEOs usually have a whole series of tools at their own disposal to counter such situations. Things like mace, and stun guns, and pistols, and shotguns, and batons, and knives, and even flashlights of their very own!

my cousin ran over his DDD once - I don't know how he managed that
anyways, thing still going strong
I should post a pic of our maglite - 15 years old and looks it too - and still works great!

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Bl4ckedoutc0bra said:
Vancouver, I totally agree, those things are tanks.
We had one get stuck up under our passenger seat (don't ask me how)
got jammed in the mechanism
one day it dropped out, fell out of the car (which was at the shop for transmission fluid replacement) and fell something like 9 or 10 feet to the cement ground... apparently the door lock broke too :p
anyways, it'd been jammed there for at least a few months - we'd gotten a new one by then
the thing is still going tough
again, I should take pics of how abused this thing really is!

Lawman85

Banned
It is illegal in Ga. It's under the concealed weapon statute section title "illuminaries". It's illegal because it is metal, you are only allowed to have light weight plastic ones. The mags are ok to keep in your house, just not in your car....

Users who are viewing this thread