Maturity level going through a mid life crisis??

raw23062

Established Member
All very valid points.... well...mostly valid anyway. I've had ALOT of fast cars and have been driving 9-10 sec cars for 20 years, so car control isn't really my worry...it's all about respect for power and seat time... but others around me is certainly a concern. I'm a pretty big wuss on the street just due to the fact that I have 20 years without a mark on my record and I dont want that to change. Even when I do mess with people on the street it's a 10-65 blast...which will still get you in a heap of crap, so that's still not very smart....never, ever in traffic.....I live in a rual area, so there are alot of times when a WOT run to 60-70 is somewhat harmless...well, there is always a risk when not at the track. So when I talk about messing with other cars, its never going to be in traffic and it's never going to be past 65-70mph....that being said, I still agree it's not generally a very smart idea. Damn it's tough to lay off though....I'm getting better at it. Took the wife for a ride yesterday and was able to ignore the couple of cars that wanted to play. I was just curious to hear about how most of you react to those situations. I'm glad I didn't own this car in my 20's.....very glad.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Maybe you should get your sig made into a vinyl sticker for your back windshield.

:lol: That is why I don't bother with a sig at all! It would take up half the page to list everything I have done to this car!:burnout:

raw23062

Established Member
:lol: That is why I don't bother with a sig at all! It would take up half the page to list everything I have done to this car!:burnout:

I know....I laughed for 2 days over that post....I shortened mine to try and leave just the stuff that people ask when in conversation but it's still too big.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
All very valid points.... well...mostly valid anyway. I've had ALOT of fast cars and have been driving 9-10 sec cars for 20 years, so car control isn't really my worry...it's all about respect for power and seat time... but others around me is certainly a concern. I'm a pretty big wuss on the street just due to the fact that I have 20 years without a mark on my record and I dont want that to change. Even when I do mess with people on the street it's a 10-65 blast...which will still get you in a heap of crap, so that's still not very smart....never, ever in traffic.....I live in a rual area, so there are alot of times when a WOT run to 60-70 is somewhat harmless...well, there is always a risk when not at the track. So when I talk about messing with other cars, its never going to be in traffic and it's never going to be past 65-70mph....that being said, I still agree it's not generally a very smart idea. Damn it's tough to lay off though....I'm getting better at it. Took the wife for a ride yesterday and was able to ignore the couple of cars that wanted to play. I was just curious to hear about how most of you react to those situations. I'm glad I didn't own this car in my 20's.....very glad.

Now when you say "street" do you mean like on a public street with lights and shit?? Or do you mean the freeway?? I can tell you I've never raced on the street like a public street with lights.. I've always ran on the freeway where there is ton of room with litereally zero people on the road.. I'm going to go with that you street race like on a public street since you said you only go to 60-70mph and start at 10 mph.. There is no way you are slowing down to 10mph on the freeway unless you are crazy like pissing off all the traffic behind you.. But if you are consider yourself stupid lucky to not be caught yet.. I'm sure the people behind you just couldn't find a pen and paper fast enough to write down your licence plate lol.. :beer:

lostwhat83

Established Member
Im in my 20's too, and I have an issue with street racing. I have a clean record no points, never had a ticket. I bought this Cobra last year, and since then I have fell in love with the rush I get from racing. I never turn a race down, hopefully someday I will. I was told that with age that "urge" to race goes away. I can't wait until I lose my urge, I don't want a ticket, or do I want to go to jail and lose my car. After reading this tread, I think I can drive home today with out boosting....at least I'll try not too.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
im 45 , and on the down side now.
i do know the rush of a good street race in my days.
but i have not yet came across anyone yet wanting to run me in my 03 as of yet. i don't drive it much. so the chances are not on my side.
But my cousin has a newer 08? 427 cu in vette. and tells me it has 780 hp. but i doubt it
i will want to see that after my build . he always blew lots of smoke in the days .

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'm 20 and don't go out looking for races, but if someone is antagonizing me i cant help myself..
yes you can, you just CHOOSE not to.

Im in my 20's too, and I have an issue with street racing. I have a clean record no points, never had a ticket. I bought this Cobra last year, and since then I have fell in love with the rush I get from racing. I never turn a race down, hopefully someday I will. I was told that with age that "urge" to race goes away. I can't wait until I lose my urge, I don't want a ticket, or do I want to go to jail and lose my car. After reading this tread, I think I can drive home today with out boosting....at least I'll try not too.
so you have a problem with street racing but do it anyway? the "urge" to race never goes away that is why you take it to the track and not on the damn street.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
We need to start a SRA (Street Racing Anomynous) club lol!! For people trying to stop street racing and how to control urges. RDJ you can be the head person of the group :beer:

lostwhat83

Established Member
Again I'm new to the area and I searched for a track, and I found Emerald Coast Dragway. It is only an 1/8 mile track, but it is a start to fix my problem...at least I'm honest about it? Isn't that the first step?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
We need to start a SRA (Street Racing Anomynous) club lol!! For people trying to stop street racing and how to control urges. RDJ you can be the head person of the group :beer:

LOL they would not like my solution to the problem. yank the license crush the car, and you will never be able to get a license, or register a car again in your life. (and yes this should go for drunk drivers as well)

lostwhat83

Established Member
I should clarify my problem. I don't WOT in town, or do i weave in and out of traffic. I go the speed limit in town as well. When I hit the open freeway and I have 2 lanes open and clear, I gun it. I do not gun it when there is traffic for two reasons: 1. I don't want to hurt anyone. 2. I don't want a ticket. I was trying to post and have a good time like everyone on this site. RDJ I will start taking it to the track, so you can relax now. :beer:

raw23062

Established Member
Now when you say "street" do you mean like on a public street with lights and shit?? Or do you mean the freeway?? I can tell you I've never raced on the street like a public street with lights.. I've always ran on the freeway where there is ton of room with litereally zero people on the road.. I'm going to go with that you street race like on a public street since you said you only go to 60-70mph and start at 10 mph.. There is no way you are slowing down to 10mph on the freeway unless you are crazy like pissing off all the traffic behind you.. But if you are consider yourself stupid lucky to not be caught yet.. I'm sure the people behind you just couldn't find a pen and paper fast enough to write down your licence plate lol.. :beer:

This is now getting entertaining.....:pop:

No, I'm talking like very rual 4 lane divided roads with cornfields on both sides. Alot of those roads around here. There are some stop lights that feed long stretches of these roads and its usually at a light that leads to miles of nothing that gets me.....the light to light with traffic stuff is a no brainer and I never have a problem blowing off someone in that setting....it happens all the time but I just shake my head.....its those cars that come up when there is little to no traffic that give me the most trouble. Closest freeway is probably 30+ miles from me. I don't see myself ever doing a REAL street race, just not gonna happen. Too much to lose. It's the playing around and showing a guy you can out accel with a quick burst thats been hard to say no to for me....nothing more. (Thats bad enough!) All the cop has to see is 2 cars rapidly accelerating to get you for racing...he won't care if you tell him you were going to let off at 65. lol.

This is good reading....keep em coming.

jlbush

Established Member
1-3 am, and planned:

8 die at illegal PG road race; Pre-dawn accident that also injured 5 is "the worst I've ever seen," officer says. | Goliath Business News

I have been on this road at 1-3 AM pleanty of times. at that hour traffic is very very rare. turns out that 1-3 am, no one on the road and planned really isn't very good criteria

I live 20 minutes away from where this happened and I don't know if this article is telling the full story...210 is 2 lanes wide at the point they were racing (99% sure it's 2 lanes there) and two cars take off racing and there's smoke and everything from the burnout...well as they pass they come out into the middle of the street to watch the race and two other cars that were flying didn't see them because of all the smoke, low light, and they were indeed flying (I think around 110)....But like another person says who the hell stands in the middle of the road to watch a race on a public road that's busy! However, I can't say it surprises me because they're not too bright around here. lol

The thing is I can understand people not wanting to street race and that's fine, but some people get way too extreme with the dangers of a friendly little street encounter. (Waiting for people to go apes*** over this)

I don't have vettes mess with me at all around here usually! Although, I did have an encounter with a C5Z yesterday (DUH...WINNING), but typically vettes don't want to mess around and I think some of it might be that they don't think I'm worthy to race :shrug: Although I have had more action with vettes with the cobra than I ever had with the 8 years having my GT..I would always try to pick a fight with a C5 and have only had a few bite over the years.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
LOL they would not like my solution to the problem. yank the license crush the car, and you will never be able to get a license, or register a car again in your life. (and yes this should go for drunk drivers as well)

Ouch that's rough man lol!!! Yea you're already fired as the head of the group session lol.. You have to be able to feed constructivley.. Not that I don't agree with you but that's something that the law takes care of right there lol.. We don't need a fellow enthusiast doing that to us lol. But on the flip side you saying that is a good thing because it'll make people think right before they downshift and decide to run "hey I can get my license taken away, car impounded or crushed, or kill someone" thinking like that will make you not want to run.. SO your opinion is very much a good thing :beer:

This is now getting entertaining.....:pop:

No, I'm talking like very rual 4 lane divided roads with cornfields on both sides. Alot of those roads around here. There are some stop lights that feed long stretches of these roads and its usually at a light that leads to miles of nothing that gets me.....the light to light with traffic stuff is a no brainer and I never have a problem blowing off someone in that setting....it happens all the time but I just shake my head.....its those cars that come up when there is little to no traffic that give me the most trouble. Closest freeway is probably 30+ miles from me. I don't see myself ever doing a REAL street race, just not gonna happen. Too much to lose. It's the playing around and showing a guy you can out accel with a quick burst thats been hard to say no to for me....nothing more. (Thats bad enough!) All the cop has to see is 2 cars rapidly accelerating to get you for racing...he won't care if you tell him you were going to let off at 65. lol.

This is good reading....keep em coming.

That's what I figured.. In CA there really isn't roads like that so I think wtf does he mean like fast and the furious status lol. Here is my suggestion to you. During the week do this and see what happens.. everytime you drive your car say, if someone trys to race me I will decline and put 10 bucks in a jar everytime that I decline.. At the end of the week see how much money you have.. Then take that money and go out to a nice dinner with the wifey, or buy a mod or something.. :beer: Reward yourself for not racing.. Then when you do race you take the money out of the jar and give it to your wife to spend on clothes.. then you'll be like ahh WTF!!! See what happens.. now this is based on a honor and integrity thing..If you lie to yourself then you don't hold those two values that closely to you imo.. But try it and see what happens. :beer:

dsmith26

Established Member
That's what I figured.. In CA there really isn't roads like that so I think wtf does he mean like fast and the furious status lol. Here is my suggestion to you. During the week do this and see what happens.. everytime you drive your car say, if someone trys to race me I will decline and put 10 bucks in a jar everytime that I decline.. At the end of the week see how much money you have.. Then take that money and go out to a nice dinner with the wifey, or buy a mod or something.. :beer: Reward yourself for not racing.. Then when you do race you take the money out of the jar and give it to your wife to spend on clothes.. then you'll be like ahh WTF!!! See what happens.. now this is based on a honor and integrity thing..If you lie to yourself then you don't hold those two values that closely to you imo.. But try it and see what happens. :beer:

this is actually a pretty good idea! I owe myself 10 bucks from Friday night! :banana:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I live 20 minutes away from where this happened and I don't know if this article is telling the full story...210 is 2 lanes wide at the point they were racing (99% sure it's 2 lanes there) and two cars take off racing and there's smoke and everything from the burnout...well as they pass they come out into the middle of the street to watch the race and two other cars that were flying didn't see them because of all the smoke, low light, and they were indeed flying (I think around 110)....But like another person says who the hell stands in the middle of the road to watch a race on a public road that's busy! However, I can't say it surprises me because they're not too bright around here. lol
my parents lived there from the time that road throught accokeek was two lanes (used to work a B&Js carry-out there on the corner) to the time it became a four lane highway. I lived there from 69 or so to 75 and then drove that road regularly when I went to visit my parents once or twice a month for the next 20 or so years. that road has been on the most dangerous roads in the U.S. list more than once as I recall. at the time of the race it was not busy. if you really live that close you know that at that time of the morning there is hardly ever anyone on that road. the issue was that you had one group of stupid street racers with a planned race along with a group of totally stupid spectators. combine that with a SECOND SET of stupid street racers that were sure they were racing in a 'safe' place and you have the results in the paper. there are follow up articles that you should go read for the whole story but that is it in a nut shell
The thing is I can understand people not wanting to street race and that's fine, but some people get way too extreme with the dangers of a friendly little street encounter. (Waiting for people to go apes*** over this)
most street races that go wrong start out as a "friendly little street encounter". street racers are always excusing their actions by the "its a deserted road, warehouse district, or whatever". they fail to consider the guy that worked late that night and might be on his way home or any number of 'what-ifs' that they won't consider because it might spoil their fun.

jlbush

Established Member
my parents lived there from the time that road throught accokeek was two lanes (used to work a B&Js carry-out there on the corner) to the time it became a four lane highway. I lived there from 69 or so to 75 and then drove that road regularly when I went to visit my parents once or twice a month for the next 20 or so years. that road has been on the most dangerous roads in the U.S. list more than once as I recall. at the time of the race it was not busy. if you really live that close you know that at that time of the morning there is hardly ever anyone on that road. the issue was that you had one group of stupid street racers with a planned race along with a group of totally stupid spectators. combine that with a SECOND SET of stupid street racers that were sure they were racing in a 'safe' place and you have the results in the paper. there are follow up articles that you should go read for the whole story but that is it in a nut shell

I know the story and all I was trying to make clear is that it wasn't the street racers that lost control or anything and plowed into onlookers. I mean its a bad situation, but really WHO stands in the middle of the road with no regard for any other possible traffic?

most street races that go wrong start out as a "friendly little street encounter". street racers are always excusing their actions by the "its a deserted road, warehouse district, or whatever". they fail to consider the guy that worked late that night and might be on his way home or any number of 'what-ifs' that they won't consider because it might spoil their fun.

I guess I just excuse my actions too much because the whole "deserted road, warehouse district, or whatever" sounds very "safe" to me as long as some common sense is used. I'm not failing to consider the guy that worked the late shift, but I am assuming that he's going to be in a CAR if he's on the road with the LIGHTS on...I mean we can play the what if game all day long and I can get just as extreme with the examples as you can, but at the end of the day I'm going to go with what is a safe bet and assume that people exercise some form of common sense...

Edit: Oh and I know people are going to go crazy about the "people exercise some form of common sense"...Let me just be clear that I'm talking VERY little common sense...Like the very basic common sense in that you're not going to be wearing ninja clothing, taking a nap on a deserted road.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread