Maturity level going through a mid life crisis??

raw23062

Established Member
Hey, I know I started this thread and I know I'm guilty on some level of being "stupid" ...so basically I'm calling myself out... but you are NEVER going to win the battle of trying to justify street racing. It's fairly stupid on any level, even when there is nobody on the road and no entry points to the road you are on....it really is...."shit happens" even at the track. I try and exercise good judgement too before "playing" on the street and I feel like I do minimize the risks as much as possible.....but...I still can't make a valid argument for it being a reasonble thing to do. I guess I have to accept that the dumbass in me(or stupid ego) get's the better of me once in a while.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Good thread OP. I'm 36 and consider myself a responsible adult but man when someone pushes me on the street I struggle not to "let them behold the POWAH"!!!! LOL I love to shut up stupid ricers and over confident chevy guys! I have used the "yawn expression" though to tell them they are not worthy.

raw23062

Established Member
^^ Thanks....didn't realize the serious turn it would take, but I guess I really should have. It's been a good read to see everyones thoughts and how they handle themselves in that situation. Some very good perspectives....and some.......:-D

rollerskate

mustang lover
Established Member
bud i turned 70 today and never miss a chance to mess with one of these new camaros or challengers to a 100 you can be ahead of a corvette . mind is pullied polished and ported love this car .

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
^lol

i can relate to this too because even though i am 47, i find that i have to make a conscious effort to drive slowly/non-aggressively in this car. there is just so much power that it makes it very easy to get carried away...

it's like i am constantly saying to myself, "take it to the track, take it to the track..."

nooner

Established Member
I'm 54 and have always had a heavy foot, but not against other cars, well, not drag race style anyway. In my early days we would play "car tag" which was basically just chasing each other around the side streets in town. We thought we were pretty smart then because there was little danger of hitting each other, but in hindsight pedestrians or other cars weren't so safe. We were lucky nothing ever happened. Now-a-days I don't have any trouble resisting challengers, but get me by myself with no passengers on an open empty road and that's a different story, especially if it has nice corners. :burnout:

raw23062

Established Member
bud i turned 70 today and never miss a chance to mess with one of these new camaros or challengers to a 100 you can be ahead of a corvette . mind is pullied polished and ported love this car .

Man, thats awesome!! Glad to know this obsession won't end anytime soon!! :beer:

Did I just walk into a SRA (street racers anonymous) meeting?

LOL!!! No sh*t!! It's turned into one..... "Hello, my name is Randy and I have a problem with my head and right foot...."

^lol

i can relate to this too because even though i am 47, i find that i have to make a conscious effort to drive slowly/non-aggressively in this car. there is just so much power that it makes it very easy to get carried away...

it's like i am constantly saying to myself, "take it to the track, take it to the track..."

Yep....that's me.... this is what I was going for when I started this thread. I thought there is no way I'm the only one struggling to be smart.... :beer:

MGC

Established Member
I'm young, 24, and since I've done a few open track events I just save the speed for those. It's difficult sometimes because the car just WANTS to stretch it legs, not worth it to me though, especially knowing I can satisfy that need for speed on the track in a relatively safe (and legal) environment.

raw23062

Established Member
I'm young, 24, and since I've done a few open track events I just save the speed for those. It's difficult sometimes because the car just WANTS to stretch it legs, not worth it to me though, especially knowing I can satisfy that need for speed on the track in a relatively safe (and legal) environment.

Yeah, I hear ya and that's something I have been thinking ALOT about the last few months. One thing that bothers me about the track and I know this is off subject, but since you brought it up I've been meaning to ask around. I know most all insurance companies won't cover the car when at the track. I'm not sure how concerned I should be about this....I know from alot of video I have watched that there is alot of room for error but I think Im more concerend about another idiot getting into me. Thoughts?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Yeah, I hear ya and that's something I have been thinking ALOT about the last few months. One thing that bothers me about the track and I know this is off subject, but since you brought it up I've been meaning to ask around. I know most all insurance companies won't cover the car when at the track. I'm not sure how concerned I should be about this....I know from alot of video I have watched that there is alot of room for error but I think Im more concerend about another idiot getting into me. Thoughts?

That is far more likely to happen on the streets.

Investigate what an Open Track/HPDE really is and how they are run.
Also check to see if there is any running a couple hundred miles of you.

Passing is strictly controlled. You have to get in someones mirror, get noticed and then receive a point by before you can pass, and nearly all events are passing in the straights only, and people are usually told to give "a courtesy lift" to the car they are letting by.

Do it!:rockon::beer::dancenana:
Your smile muscles in your face will hurt by the end of the weekend, and for a several days afterward.
True story!

Last edited:

raw23062

Established Member

Passing is strictly controlled. You have to get in someones mirror, get noticed and then receive a point by before you can pass, and nearly all events are passing in the straights only, and people are usually told to give "a courtesy lift" to the car they are letting by.

Your smile muscles in your face will hurt by the end of the weekend, and for a several days afterward.
True story!

We do have one(VIR) fairly close to me, it's well within 100 miles. I didn't realize the controlled stuff, thats very good to know. That would certainly bring the threat level way down. I like it, I like it alot. I'm going to research it now. Thanks, Jimmy! :beer:

raw23062

Established Member
Scratch that...it's 181 miles, but thats not too bad I don't guess. Looks like they have alot of open track days. It's also where the NASCAR Cup boys do their testing... pretty cool. I gotta do it!!

MGC

Established Member

True story!

Jimmy nailed it! I will emphasize that open-tracking is NOT racing! The chances you have for hurting your car are for the most part on YOUR shoulders, respect the sport and your car and you will be okay. It is intimidating at first, but be willing to learn and keep an open head, do NOT go out to your first track day trying to drive like michael schumacher, you won't be very fast. It's a humbling experience, but very rewarding and most of all very fun!

Also, your question about insurance, find a club that runs at VIR, chances are they have insurance available for the event. This is sort of a gray area for insurance companies, most do not want you racing a car that they are insuring, but then again it's not racing, remember? :beer:

If, god forbid, something does happen, it's not a timed event, it's a driving school and that alone will ease their concerns. If I were you, I'd tell my agent that I'm thinking of taking a driving school at a local racetrack, get their thoughts on it. If your insurance absolutely forbids you to do it, look into speciality insurance like hagerty, it's more expensive but it is very good coverage and even covers mods you do to the car in some cases.

A word of warning though: it is VERY addictive! (note the racecar in my sig) :thumbsup:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
We go on rides with allot of differant groups. I always lay in the weeds let them go at it and play. I'm the old guy with the grey hair. After the ride goes on the guys with the spray come out and the 440 6pk and other cool vetts then at every stop they all do a burn out. We are out in the sticks so as you will see by the corn and the rubber on the road not a big deal.

Then they finnally keep egging me on. I just say well how do u do it??? I cant beat you guys on a burn out. what do you do just floor it??? ok I will try. Yea theres always a vett. Guess they gotta pwr brake it.

I Keep mine stock looking even under the hood, the car is quiet.FR500 exhaust. I just keep the sleeper look. As far as maturity level well allot of people think I look 63 64 years old no im not that old. But the grey hair helps when you get pulled over and say yea i heard that tire squeeling too. Think they went that way. I think they went that way btw can you direct me to the rest home?

http://youtu.be/9KlBhiuuUm0

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KlBhiuuUm0"]YouTube - Ford Mustang Cobra burnout[/nomedia]

Can someone tell me how you post you tube front page in these threads Im kinda old so you will have to type slow!

Last edited:

raw23062

Established Member
Jimmy nailed it! I will emphasize that open-tracking is NOT racing! The chances you have for hurting your car are for the most part on YOUR shoulders, respect the sport and your car and you will be okay. It is intimidating at first, but be willing to learn and keep an open head, do NOT go out to your first track day trying to drive like michael schumacher, you won't be very fast. It's a humbling experience, but very rewarding and most of all very fun!

Also, your question about insurance, find a club that runs at VIR, chances are they have insurance available for the event. This is sort of a gray area for insurance companies, most do not want you racing a car that they are insuring, but then again it's not racing, remember? :beer:

If, god forbid, something does happen, it's not a timed event, it's a driving school and that alone will ease their concerns. If I were you, I'd tell my agent that I'm thinking of taking a driving school at a local racetrack, get their thoughts on it. If your insurance absolutely forbids you to do it, look into speciality insurance like hagerty, it's more expensive but it is very good coverage and even covers mods you do to the car in some cases.

A word of warning though: it is VERY addictive! (note the racecar in my sig) :thumbsup:

Yeah, my car is insured already with Hagerty, so I'll talk to them and see how they feel about a "driving school." Leaving my ego at the door won't be a problem for me when it comes to doing something totally new like this. I don't care how much seat time you have in high horsepower applications, you can always learn...and when doing something totally new, I would have a ton to learn! I know that much from how bad I suck at the road course computer sim I play with sometimes....:thumbsup:

I saw your car in your sig and it started me on a long search for used road race cars....I know myself well enough to know Im going to be hooked and Im going to want to keep getting better and pushing the envelope. I spoke with a guy who does alot of road racing and he told me Id be much happier with 3-400hp on a road course than the power my Cobra is making.....I can see the logic in being able to manhandle less hp I guess. Gotta do it myself before speaking much on the subject. Looking VERY forward to it!!

Users who are viewing this thread