MY BOSS 50 MOTOR BUILD / with updates

SlowSVT

Established Member
those where new plugs where only idled for about 5 mins in my motor ,only enough to get my car pulled on the rack, the white is from raw gas not being burned. yes white plug was #6

well i got
1. seat come loose #6
2.pass head cam journal f**ked and cam
3.#6 piston second ring was frozzen to the piston won't move.

do jan 05 heads come with cams ? might be my best bet.

also the mains on the #1 cap is different then the 4.6 block. is that the MS2007H brgs?

Yea, new plugs won't tell us anything.

The 05 heads are complete and ready to install. Nothing wrong with installing them "as is" they should run fine.

The Boss Block uses the same bearings as the 4.6. I posted the p/n for the Clevite bearings on the Boss 5.0 Iron block thread. That looks like the same number but check it to be sure.

It always looks scary having everything pulled apart looking at a big pile of parts but as you know it's really not that bad when you break it down to its smaller components.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'am about to feel pinch ,out of my wallet. which I don't really want to spend.
looks like $3500 that's not including the L/Ts.
you got to include 1000 bucks for all gaskets/ bgrs. and ARP bolts.

I would take a pass on the LT's if money is an issue. You don't need them to get your car back on the road. I admit the stock cast iron logs are not very appealing but LT's carry their own set of problems.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
i do need a dip stick and tube, even though i unbolted it ,it still got kinked up. the ps line i might be able to re bend it

i did have a time with 1 of the oil filter housing bolt..the one you can barly get on with ,with an open end 13mm. Iam guess that the housing comes apart ? is there an o ring behind there i need to relace ?

All i did today was stay inside..i got to rest a day, an tonight add to my list of things.

Glad you mentioned this.

How much metal was in the bottom of the oil pan when you pulled her down?
If there was ANY, I would cut open the oil filter and see how much metal is in there.

Depending on if metal was found or not the original oil cooler could be holding metal and would be an EXTREME liability if loaded on to this fresh build.
It is my understanding that they are impossible to completely clean when metaled up.

Metal would also make me remove all the oil galley plugs and do a hard core BLOCK clean out with HOT SOAPY WATER and the gun cleaning brushes.

Unfortunately the OE oil coolers are expensive.
There is a cooling advantage to converting to an AIR to OIL cooler and changing the coolant inlet. If you do this use -10 lines not smaller.

DevilSun

Established Member
I'm looking forward to my new engine as well. Get that thing running, don't wait a slong as I did ;)

Post picks of the pistons, I have a photo collection of Terminated Terminator pistons.
Not to partially hijack, but since you asked for terminated pistons, thought these would be appreciated :rolleyes: These are mine not the OPs; went POP at Thunderhill on morning of day 2 of the very first open track weekend with it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm looking forward to my new engine as well. Get that thing running, don't wait a slong as I did ;)

Not to partially hijack, but since you asked for terminated pistons, thought these would be appreciated :rolleyes: These are mine not the OPs; went POP at Thunderhill on morning of day 2 of the very first open track weekend with it.

Saved!:beer:

And might I add HOLY CRAP?!?! That one is cut like almost in half like from a blow torch from the detonation flames.
No temp gauge? Or just lost track? What boost level? Lean out or just heat?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Dude you can totally JB weld that!! lol. Damn that is one messed up piston that's for sure!!

DevilSun

Established Member
I learned a hard lesson very early on with this car as you can see. :) Didn't have the car long, no temp gauge (stock one never moved; not that I ever trusted it), believe boost was around 13 or 14 pushing 457rwhp. Car shut right off when it popped, but started right back up afterwards in the pits numerous times. Oh, and go figure, no check engine at all during any of this time. Everything and much more is being addressed this time 'round

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Good to see your health is looking better and your making progress on the build. That's a lot of work to be tackled by one guy.

DevilSun

Established Member
I went with almost a whole new engine, basically reused just the heads (well castings because most else got replaced/upgraded) after cleaning up and having them worked on...not to mention, doing all sorts of other upgrades in preparation for the new engine. I'll make a thread in a week or two when the engine gets here and goes in detailing my experiences and what I went with and why.

Users who are viewing this thread