my early '01 has a teksid block? (see pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
You know, its truly funny that some of us as original owners have spent the last 4 years not knowing what we had. Then awhile back it was said that all 01s got WAP blocks and now a large majority on here are now discovering that they've had Teksid blocks all along with no explanation for some having the Teksid and some having the WAPs. Strange stuff.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
PSiedTSi said:
so what exactly is the difference between teksid and wap blocks? is it just simply the block casting and nothing to do with internals? sorry im a n00b

From my understanding, it only indicates the strength of the block itself and has nothing to do with the internals. The Teksid blocks are somewhat more substantial to higher horsepower levels and the WAP blocks are a bit lighter. As its been said before, both are strong blocks...the Teksid being able to withstand more at extraordinary power levels.

Last edited:

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
quick01snake said:
speaking of hp levels w/ bolt ons, what are the teksid people putting out w/ common bolt ons vs. WAP's?

i have a teksid, and putting out 327+rwhp/327+rwtq pretty much all bolt on's except headers, no gears....

I'm not even close to that..probably around 265-275 rwhp if I'm lucky? although I've only got a catback, denscharger, and underdrive pulleys. Of course the crappy Kaahliforniah gas might have something to do with it.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
quick01snake said:
speaking of hp levels w/ bolt ons, what are the teksid people putting out w/ common bolt ons vs. WAP's?

i have a teksid, and putting out 327+rwhp/327+rwtq pretty much all bolt on's except headers, no gears....

I also have the Teksid block :rockon:

All i know about the Teksids is that they made in Italy...same place that makes Ferraris blocks

my car was a mid run #2398 i was really suprised that i had a Teksid

Last edited:

ReallyRedCobra

No really. Its that red.
Established Member
You know whats funny is that when I bought the car and within the first year I was pretty sure the 99 and 01's all had the teksid block. Then the Hyland book came out and he said we had the WAP which went against everything that I had previously heard. Everyone then took Hylands work as bond. I should've looked at the damn thing sooner.

Anyways my numbers are in my sig. SAE corrected.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I guess ill just assume that i have one also. Mine is number 347 or something :).

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I had a teksid 99 block and a 01 wap block in my car now.
there is no power difference. The block is thinner, and has more ribbing but is ultimately weaker. However, I have had no problems with my wap block up to the current 730bhp that the engine puts out. I have no girdle or block mods whatsoever.

for the average cobra owner it makes zero difference.

UCBeau

Serpentor said:
I'm not even close to that..probably around 265-275 rwhp if I'm lucky? although I've only got a catback, denscharger, and underdrive pulleys. Of course the crappy Kaahliforniah gas might have something to do with it.
you should dyno 275 rwhp bone stock....

Tontate

Hardly Posts Anything
Established Member
Same Here

May 01
teksid.jpg

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
you should dyno 275 rwhp bone stock....

yeah I know, I had it dyno'd at a local mustang shop's "dyno day" while back and I got runs of 265-275... something like that. I dont have the dyno sheets anymore, so I dont have exact numbers

not sure about correction factors etc, I just wanted to get a base line incase I do more mods.

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
Holy sheiat! I got a teksid too, square grid, build date feb 2001. Should my course of mods change?? I was looking to forge it and blow it..

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
01_OXFORD_SVT said:
Holy sheiat! I got a teksid too, square grid, build date feb 2001. Should my course of mods change?? I was looking to forge it and blow it..

From what I understand, it isn't going to matter at all unless you are making MEGA horsepower, meaning way more than you will ever make on a street car.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
'Teksid' looks to be just something to brag about for probably most Cobra owners who won't ever fully exploit its full potential. Realistically, I know I probably will not ever see its limits in my car and thousands others will likely not either.
Why then would Ford even feel the need to have these Teksid cast blocks made rather than just making their own from the beginning? Ford certainly never intended for owners to push the limit on these 'overbuilt' blocks with high levels of boost on a warranted engine so I can't help but wonder why it was even used?

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
Traveler said:
'Teksid' looks to be just something to brag about for probably most Cobra owners who won't ever fully exploit its full potential. Realistically, I know I probably will not ever see its limits in my car and thousands others will likely not either.
Why then would Ford even feel the need to have these Teksid cast blocks made rather than just making their own from the beginning? Ford certainly never intended for owners to push the limit on these 'overbuilt' blocks with high levels of boost on a warranted engine so I can't help but wonder why it was even used?

because it doesnt add (much.. maybe a few bucks per block) extra cost to overbuild an engine block, if adding maybe 5lbs of aluminum in strategic places will gain you, say, 20% in strength, then it make sense to do it. It will cost much more to create a seperate casting for race-only blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread