New Nitto NT05's Are On

Jefe

Established Member
im considering these, for a 9 inch rim do you feel the 275 covers the rim lip good, it seems to. I am going to need something for a 10 wide... and im not usre their 295 will be wide enough for me, I like the tire over the rim lip a little bit, the stretched looks is NOT for me.

also can you get some pics from behind the car to see how they look?

Ill try to get some better pics this weekend. I would say it covers the lip as good as most tires. So far no wheel hop at all and it hooks no matter how hard I floor it in 1st. Havent been able to do that since I bought the car :rockon: The water channels are huge on these things!

DSCI1038-1.jpg

DSCI1039-1.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Those are a 300 treadwear. Better street tire for the front. Probably what Ill get

Capture1-11.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Do all nittos stink this bad? My garage stinks like rubber

99BOSS

Established Member
I just ordered a new set of these NT05s in 275 all around. So far I like what Im reading. I still have the stock F1s on there and they are hard and well worn. I also have some new MT drag radials mounted on stock rims waiting for track duty but I wanted to get some new daily driving tires that can stick and handle too. I should get the new nittos on this week hopefully. Thanks for the write up! Cant wait to try mine out.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Yeah would be nice to know wear and if they are better than the Nitto DR or not.

I can't hook with the DR's spin and hop all over the place, even in third.

Nitto D/R treadwear 100, NT05 200. This means the NT05 will last longer, but it will not hook more, or even as much.

With a 200 treadwear they aren't as sticky as the Nitto DR, which has a 100 treadwear. However, the 200 treadwear will probably hook good enough for most people and last a bit longer than the Nitto DR's.
If you're having problems hooking with the Nitto DR's, then these will not cure that problem - the NT05's have a stiffer sidewall and higher treadwear as well as what looks to be less of a contact patch - given the amount of rubber missing on either side of the center of the tire.

If you're over 500 RWHP - then there really isn't a tire out there that is going to let you hook all the time from any speed - and also last a reasonable amount of miles, it's all about compromise.

From my experience, the Nitto DR is the best tire for a high horsepower car that sees many miles on the street.

I've been through about 5 or 6 sets of Nitto DR's - I seem to get about 10 to 12,000 miles out of them.

+1....I was gonna post, then I saw you took the words outta my mouth...:rockon:

Jefe

Established Member
On dry roads Ive only been able to spin the NT05's 1 time and it was for a split second before they hooked up. Love these tires! No wheel hop at all yet:rockon: I only have 423rwhp though....

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
On dry roads Ive only been able to spin the NT05's 1 time and it was for a split second before they hooked up. Love these tires! No wheel hop at all yet:rockon: I only have 423rwhp though....

My 96 Cobra makes 408 and with a Nitto Drag, IMO, it's the perfect street car. It hooks in all gears. I get the perfect length chirp from 1st to 2nd. Only long enough to keep the RPM's up. They also dead hook on a 2nd gear frop and 45MPH with a 4.10 gear. Cars a monster right there. I can't imagine what my 04 will be like. I haven't been able to do that yet.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I just got the Nitto NT 555 ZRs and they smell up my entire car port. I can smell them from 15 ft away.

Jefe

Established Member
Because of the smaller contact patch and higher treadwear rating - compared to a Nitto DR.

And thats exactly why I bought these. I didnt want the wet traction and low mileage that comes with the 555r(also only have a 9" rim). So far I dont think I could of found a better tire than these NT 05's for my driving style under $250 each. Someone told me they are perfect for aggressive street drivers and boy was that spot on! My only complaint so far is the smell of my garage. Which I quickly forget about

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
They're probably a good tire for that power level, but for people with more power, that want to be able to use it, a DR would be a better tire.

Wet traction with the Nitto DR's is fine, I've driven on them for years in all weather conditions without any problems. They last 10-12k miles, and they come in a 275/40/17.

Your tires are great, for me to poop on!

Last edited:

99BOSS

Established Member
I'll see how they do for my power level. I didnt buy them as a drag radial substitute though. I got them for everyday driving. Sometimes I like to take some hard corners or freeway exit ramps at high speed and I dont trust a drag radials soft sidewall for doing those things. For track duty I have a brand new set of MT drag radials mounted.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Sometimes I like to take some hard corners or freeway exit ramps at high speed and I dont trust a drag radials soft sidewall for doing those things. For track duty I have a brand new set of MT drag radials mounted.
I've done many mountain drives, road courses, etc. with the Nitto DR's - they perform very well, just air them up to ~32 PSI or so - handle nicely.

I understand what you mean though.

Wraith_2006

Established Member
please give us an update and let us know what they wear like.... I am down to three tires that I want to put on the front of my car and this is one of them

the others are the nitto 555ZR and the falken Azenis RT-615

anyone else have any other thoughts on these tires

Users who are viewing this thread