BOD89LX

Established Member
sky-is-falling.thumbnail.jpg

Aint that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol1:

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
Ford has a problem on their hands and they are trying to cover their butts. The 5.0's are popping #8 pistons at an alarming rate. Ford is trying to blame it on mods but the fact is, bone stock ones are doing also or so I've heard. Why was this never a problem with the 4.6's? Their are 10's of thousands more of those with bolt on's and tunes and no problems. I think #8 runs too lean and the knock sensors are not sensitive enough. Throw in this 100 degree heat and crap gasoline out there, it's trouble. The only missfire these things are having a problem with is #8 cylinder and they are melting. I've seen it myself. The 4.6 never did that with the same bolt ons and same tuner. Just saying. Why is there now a TSB for missfire to reprogram the pcm? There is a problem here IMO.

KenB

Established Member
Ford has a problem on their hands and they are trying to cover their butts. The 5.0's are popping #8 pistons at an alarming rate. Ford is trying to blame it on mods but the fact is, bone stock ones are doing also or so I've heard. Why was this never a problem with the 4.6's? Their are 10's of thousands more of those with bolt on's and tunes and no problems. I think #8 runs too lean and the knock sensors are not sensitive enough. Throw in this 100 degree heat and crap gasoline out there, it's trouble. The only missfire these things are having a problem with is #8 cylinder and they are melting. I've seen it myself. The 4.6 never did that with the same bolt ons and same tuner. Just saying. Why is there now a TSB for missfire to reprogram the pcm? There is a problem here IMO.

Well for 1, the 4.6 was MUCH lower compression and didn't spin to the same RPM. I haven't heard of any bone stock cars having this problem but would like to hear more.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member

where are you getting your numbers from? where is the alarming rate? and where are the stock cars that have a bad #8 piston.

ViciousJay

Established Member
hey if ford wants ill be happy to give them the car back and have them return every dime back to ive paid on it so far... last ford ill own

they just made the biggest mistake, mines for sale ... looking for another M3

Last edited:

davidhuff

Established Member
These are high compression motors and need very good gas when you start using after market tunes.Racers do not buy race gas just for fun while at the race track.

Last edited:

TBuick87

Established Member
how is the 5.0 a glass motor when you can safely add 100+ hp and not have to worry about it? Ford will even warranty it if you buy the pars they engineered.

Uhhh Thats the Whole Point of this #8 Problem, you DO have to worry about it, and Worry a LOT, as a Forged Coyote Motor is ~10k or so Complete...and as for Ford "Motorsports" Warranty, thats just it, theu Warranty the Aftermarket parts, NOT your original motor..If you read the fine print, and Actually Ask a 'Knowlegeable' service writer, they'll tell you that too,,,

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
I have many friends in the Ford network and Ford performance/Racing over the years. We talk about failures all the time. 20+ years worth. I've seen all the trans concerns, clutch concerns, rear axle concerns, cowl leak concerns, front and rear lower control arm noise concerns, extended crank concerns, etc. Now I'm seeing #8 with serious concerns popping up and I'm asking questions to people all over the country and others are seeing it too. These motors are melting #8. I'm sure certain tunes can make it happen much quicker. Which ones is the best question.

TBuick87

Established Member
These are high compression motors and need very good gas when you start using after market tunes.Racers do not buy $7.00 a gallon race gas just for fun while at the race track.

Wait a 93 tune needs Race gas, and I WAS Considering a PD Blower because of the fact that they all Claim 600CHP on 93....Sorry, but I don't have an Extra 10k lying around for a Forged Motor......

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
The 11-1 compression these motors have, worrying about economy for the EPA and spinning 7k rpms leaves little room for error on pump gas. The proof is in the failures.
You get a cylinder a little lean and it starts to detonate and continues to detonate, it's done. The pistons look like someone took a blow torch to them.

TBuick87

Established Member
the 11-1 compression these motors have, worrying about economy for the epa and spinning 7k rpms leaves little room for error on pump gas. The proof is in the failures.
You get a cylinder a little lean and it starts to detonate and continues to detonate, it's done. The pistons look like someone took a blow torch to them.

ls3...

davidhuff

Established Member
Wait a 93 tune needs Race gas, and I WAS Considering a PD Blower because of the fact that they all Claim 600CHP on 93....Sorry, but I don't have an Extra 10k lying around for a Forged Motor......
Are you sure you are getting 93 octane gas at you local gas station for your 93 octane tune?Why not just add a few gallon of race gas to your tank to just be on the safe side while at the track.Works great for me and my Jon Lund tune because I do not street race.

acrbill

Established Member
My issue with this is they are also trying to group in the clutch issues.

I may come off as a sky is falling guy who reads too many forums but I am suffering from the clutch problems so every time I drive my car I get pissed off and reading shit like this makes it worse.

Unfortunately every car I buy I modify so this will probably be the last new car I buy for myself. Perhaps I will head over to Carmax and see if I can find an out of warranty c6 to trade for.

davidhuff

Established Member
Come on guys these are great cars for under $28,000.00.If you put in a after market tune just add a can of unleaded Torco or a few Gallons of race just to be safe while you are at the race track.I only have 91 octane in Oregon!

ViciousJay

Established Member
Come on guys these are great cars for under $28,000.00.If you put in a after market tune just add a can of unleaded Torco or a few Gallons of race just to be safe while you are at the race track.I only have 91 octane in Oregon!

im tempted to turn over to E85, not for power but for peace of mind

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
That makes you the winner on the mustang 5.0 forum with 700 hp on pump gas.

I don't care about that. That car is built right front to back, ac, full power but it's too nasty to drive daily. I just want a bolt on 5.0 with 400 rwhp and it lives. Something I can enjoy driving everywhere, anytime and not worry about another issue. Mine has had way too many and this #8 thing is no freaking joke. I bought this car instead of a used ls3 vette and I don't want to end it with grief. I've got too much time and money invested in it to be regretting it.

Users who are viewing this thread