Pics - 408 RWHP 99 NA Cobra

99svtvert

Heads 1500, Intake 2600, valvetrain (cams, valves, springs, retainers, etc.) 1500. The balance is labor. The seats cost me $1700; 3 years ago (includes brackets). But 350 for heat and air is included in the 1700. Don't know what they are today.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
at 7400 rpm, daammnn.

nice work, i know going na costs a pretty penny

Nazman

Established Member
blksnake99 said:
Naz, I think 4.10s or 4.30's would solve the clutch chatter below 2000 RPM issue.
I have no clutch chatter problems brother!

I was making reference to the way my car idles and behaves. The diference is that I make quite a bit more TQ down low than you and my motor comes on like a freight train o/a 4000-4500RPMs and does not stop pulling even at the limiter @ 7750RPMs.

You got to love the modulars!

Naz

Nazman said:
I have no clutch chatter problems brother!

I was making reference to the way my car idles and behaves. The diference is that I make quite a bit more TQ down low than you and my motor comes on like a freight train o/a 4000-4500RPMs and does not stop pulling even at the limiter @ 7750RPMs.

You got to love the modulars!

Naz

I'm a little unclear about the rev limit that you posted of 7750. Now, I know you have a heavy duty long block Naz. But the FR500 intake comes with the recommendation to raise the rev limiter that high? Or did you raise the rev limiter because the FR500 hardware keeps making power way past 6800rpms?

99svtvert

That was Naz at 7750. I am at 7400. It is still making clean power for both of us at those numbers with no valve float or detonation. FR500 specs are conservately 7200. As unbelievable as it may seem, the engine shows no signs of labor at those RPM's. Personally I think we could go 8000 with FR500 breathing; but I never would due to FEAR.

Last edited by a moderator:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
SVT Performance "Helping people stay broke since 19__!!" I already really want to do this setup and this post doesnt help any. Very nice setup, well done!

+1 Keep the air bag as is, it looks coordinated and matches well.

99svtvert

Few more ....

ca10.jpg

ca11.jpg

ca12.jpg

ca13.jpg

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Beautiful setup. :beer: I can't take it anymore. I'm doing the Fr500 cams and valvetrain for Christmas. The only thing I'm doing differently is not using the FR500 intake. I'm going to port my 01 and see what kind of results. Defintely going to port the heads.

Are the FR500 cams the only cams that should be sued with these heads? What I mean is are there better cams to make this combo better?
+1! Eventually I want a VTEngines 305 & Hellion turbo setup and I am leaning toward the FR500 valvetrain + ported heads + ported intake. If this is what can be done n/a, I can only imagine where you can go on that setup w/ a turbo! :eek:

Beautiful car! :rockon: :beer:

Nazman

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
I'm a little unclear about the rev limit that you posted of 7750. Now, I know you have a heavy duty long block Naz. But the FR500 intake comes with the recommendation to raise the rev limiter that high? Or did you raise the rev limiter because the FR500 hardware keeps making power way past 6800rpms?
Ok,

due to the short runners on the FR500 intake, and a breathing combination of ported FR500 heads & cams along with a free flowing exhaust we continue to make power higher in the RPM band.

The limit before you start seeing some valve float with the FR500 springs is o/s 7800RPM-up. So, o/a 7750RPMs is the "safe" limit on the those springs.

As stated above, the FR500 combo (HCI) allows for a very free reving combo. Ill go ahead and take a video of my car going thru the gears and will post....you will like it.

Now, you must ensure that you have the right hardware to sping like that. The stock rods/bolts limits and the oil pump gears as well as the stock intake are limiting points in the power production. The stock lenght intake will limit you to a peak of o/a 6250RPMs regardest of cam specs, then the rods/rod bolts & oil pump gearl are the next stop.

When I had the stock short block with all the FR500 HCI, I pulled to 7200RPMs and the powerband was still going up, but again, the limit was the rods/pump.

Naz

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
+1! Eventually I want a VTEngines 305 & Hellion turbo setup and I am leaning toward the FR500 valvetrain + ported heads + ported intake. If this is what can be done n/a, I can only imagine where you can go on that setup w/ a turbo! :eek:

Beautiful car! :rockon: :beer:

Rex,
Once you get that done are you going to get on track finally? haha j/k :beer:

99svtvert

Actually, you have to experience how easy the FR500 components rev up to fully appreciate it ..... this is an awesome motor. So much faster than my modified 03 Cobra that I sold. NO COMPARISON.

REX-RACER

Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
Rex,
Once you get that done are you going to get on track finally? haha j/k :beer:
I hate you . . . :lol1:

Actually that set up is so far in the future ( read $$$$$$$$$ ) that I should be well versed on a track somewhere by then! ;-)

99svtvert

99COBRA2881 said:
What c/r pistons are you running?

That's hard to answer. I beleive 10.5 - 10.6:1. Im orginally through it was lower (10.2) but the block was ground down at bit more that I wanted due to a gouge. That raises the cr. Pistons are Diamond domed cut back for valves. Rods are manley H-Beam. I spent lots of time on the align hone and on bore hone. I used the best studs and main bearings money could buy. New billet oil gears in a new HV oil pump and a new billet trigger wheel, new chains and guides also. Also, a steel tensioner (not the standard aluminum stock tensioner).

It sounds higher compression, definitely, now that I examine it more closely. The cams are awesome too with .474 lift and decent duration and only 109 degree LSA. I went to pickup some RX at the Walgreens driveup window today, which has a brick wall next to it. That is a great way to hear your cams; idling about 2 feet from a brick wall. WOW, what concussion. It never did that stock. Two guys asked me if they were full race cams and two women told me I needed a tune up.

Later.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Nice!!! I love people's comments about cars when they dont know what you have under the hood.

I had my 97 Dodge SS/T running one day (Comp 220/[email protected] .507/.507 lift 114 lsa) exhaust is dumped after the muffler and my neighbor came over he thought my garage door was stuck or something cause the side of my garage was literally vibrating. haha :eek: :lol:

I've got a set of Ross custom forgings on order should be in any day now. Since this build is for an all out SCCA ITE race car, I went up to 12:1 c/r. FR500 cams are on my list, along with working over the stock C heads.

I wish we could afford the FR500 intake too, maybe next year!! Ported stocker will have to suffice for now. Ive got alot more parts to buy.

REX-RACER

Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
Nice!!! I love people's comments about cars when they dont know what you have under the hood.

I had my 97 Dodge SS/T running one day (Comp 220/[email protected] .507/.507 lift 114 lsa) exhaust is dumped after the muffler and my neighbor came over he thought my garage door was stuck or something cause the side of my garage was literally vibrating. haha :eek: :lol:

I've got a set of Ross custom forgings on order should be in any day now. Since this build is for an all out SCCA ITE race car, I went up to 12:1 c/r. FR500 cams are on my list, along with working over the stock C heads.

I wish we could afford the FR500 intake too, maybe next year!! Ported stocker will have to suffice for now. Ive got alot more parts to buy.
It never ends does it?!?! :cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread