Pics - 408 RWHP 99 NA Cobra

99svtvert

The answer of rather to buy an 03-04 or build-up a 99-01 lies with interest, I think. If you like working with engines, are mechanically inclined, and love high perfomance motors; then a build-up might make sense.

If you want to race and need the car as a daily driver, have a limited budget for repairs, can afford downtime, then maybe a terminator makes sense.

I have to say again however, this is the quickest Cobra I ever drove, which includes my Terminator (at 463 RWHP) and several at over 500. There is something about 7400 RPM - 7700 RPM that you miss from the 03's and 04's, even though the torque in Terminators is awesome.

Now I have a relatively simple, streetable, fast Cobra that sounds mean and is really fairly unique. The are 100's of 03-04's running around this town.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
blksnake99 said:
The answer of rather to buy an 03-04 or build-up a 99-01 lies with interest, I think. If you like working with engines, are mechanically inclined, and love high perfomance motors; then a build-up might make sense.

If you want to race and need the car as a daily driver, have a limited budget for repairs, can afford downtime, then maybe a terminator makes sense.

I have to say again however, this is the quickest Cobra I ever drove, which includes my Terminator (at 463 RWHP) and several at over 500. There is something about 7400 RPM - 7700 RPM that you miss from the 03's and 04's, even though the torque in Terminators is awesome.

Now I have a relatively simple, streetable, fast Cobra that sounds mean and is really fairly unique. The are 100's of 03-04's running around this town.

Holy $h@t! I just noticed you're in St. L.! Are you on stlmustangs.com? I don't recall seeing you over there but I'd love to see your car(s) and so would a lot of other people! Your right, we're inundated w/ Termis in this town!

pm sent!

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
Yall have some PIMP setups, but aside from a severe loss of low end torque(made up for with steep gears), how much more power up top would that $2,600 intake make compared to a 99/01 Cobra intake made into a shortrunner(5" runners like Al Pappito makes)?

Reason I ask is you could run a shortrunner and spend the $2600 on a used blower kit and make 600rwhp on low boost with all the rest of the FR500 stuff. To each his own I guess, still cool regardless.

99svtvert

FR500 Intake Runner Control -- MSD Digital Window Switch controls the Runner Actuator (up and down):

Short Runners 0-2000 RPM Start without Butterfly throttle wobble due to backpressure

Long Runners 2001-4800 RPM Torque

Short Runners 4801-7800 RPM HP

Settings can be changed easily to get what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

slo-ryd

SCT Certified
Established Member
blksnake99 said:
FR500 Intake Runner Control -- MSD Digital Window Switch controls the Runner Actuator (up and down):

Short Runners 0-2000 RPM Start without Butterfly throttle wobble due to backpressure

Long Runners 2001-4800 RPM Torque

Short Runners 4801-7800 RPM HP

Settings can be changed easily to get what you want.

Cool beans.

I use the old pill style with my little bit of spray, so it's more me proof on the settings. :-D

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Just SICK!!! I love it. Nasty n/a power is great. It's always there. Very nice job with the car.

Nazman

Established Member
viperbluelx said:
Reason I ask is you could run a shortrunner and spend the $2600 on a used blower kit and make 600rwhp on low boost with all the rest of the FR500 stuff. To each his own I guess, still cool regardless.

You said it brother....for each his own!

Intead of a blower I throw a little juice to crank 600+RW :-D & some sick TQ to match!!

The intake its an expensive mofo but its great for daily drivers. We get the best of both worlds: Great low speed TQ and sick top end!!:bowdown:

Naz

99svtvert

I can't think of a better way to put it than this:

I have a friend with a 04 2V GT; very nice car and fun to drive. He has a Vortech on it and get about 380 RWHP. He drove the FR500 Cobra tonight. He was smiling for an hour after his drive because of the high RPM buzz he got. He has had 4-5 mustangs and I quote "I never drove a care that screams like that one before not even and 04 Cobra".

There is an downhill "on ramp" to an interstate near where I live, and then a 1/2 mile flat stretch and finally a long uphill off ramp. That is 3/4 mile from my home and I heard him get on and shift twice and get off. Even at at that distance it is a wailing noise like Nascar. When he pulled back in the driveway and around back, I could hear the cams settling down to a low rumble.

When he got out he looked a little gray in color and them the smile started. He said it scary at first and then euphoric; he hit the rev limiter twice at 7400 RPM and didn't expect that he was near it.

His comments gave a good perspective. He said when you first drive a 1999-2001 Cobra you really get the high RPM RUSH after having driven a GT. Difference; at 5800 it's about all over; with a 99-01 Cobra you get that extra 800-1000 RPM and that is a thrill and an advantage. Driving THIS, he commented, is like making the same jump yet again from Cobra to Super Cobra; to 7400 and it is still pulling (no labor at all).

Best part; he is buying an 01 built Cobra tomorrow and ordered FR500 heads and cams for it tonight due to ship next Monday; which was a complete surprise to me.

It never ends for us, does it ?

Last edited by a moderator:

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
I love when you guys give me new idea's. After i send my motor to vt engines, there is going to be some major porting going on

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
You can, but you miss out on a lot of the benefits.

The stock rods really are about at their limit at our 6800 rpm limit stock. You also don't get the nice bump in compression.

On the stock internals I would probably just do the heads and intake. The FR500 cams are just going to move the power up past where the motor will safely rev to.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
Nazman said:
You said it brother....for each his own!

Intead of a blower I throw a little juice to crank 600+RW :-D & some sick TQ to match!!

The intake its an expensive mofo but its great for daily drivers. We get the best of both worlds: Great low speed TQ and sick top end!!:bowdown:

Naz

You're right, I'd like to see a dyno sheet comparing the FR500 intake to the 5" shortrunner intake though, for maybe a drag strip car :)

Users who are viewing this thread