pictures of lowerd 99-04's with cut springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
I think I'm gonna go 7/8"

Clear me up on this, which do you cut from the top and which from the bottom? I cut my other 03 springs but I forgot... :)

Double0fox

2 extra cylinders
Established Member
289914527_gun9a-L-1.jpg

1.5 cut on the front, 2 cut on the rear..they are GT springs

Do you have any more pics of your stance?

Edit: also do you have CC plates?

Last edited:

BLACKVNM

Established Member
I went ~7/8 coil front and 3/4 rear and left the iso's in. It's not quite as low as I'd like, but I'm just wondering how much these things settle over time. Any experience with it settling just a little?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I think I'm gonna go 7/8"

Clear me up on this, which do you cut from the top and which from the bottom? I cut my other 03 springs but I forgot... :)

You want the cut the bottom of the spring. Once you look at the spring its pretty easy to figure it out, one part is flat and the other is rounded.

I went ~7/8 coil front and 3/4 rear and left the iso's in. It's not quite as low as I'd like, but I'm just wondering how much these things settle over time. Any experience with it settling just a little?

They usually settle rather quickly after the first drive and the suspension has had a chance to fully load. If you've already driven the car around then it's probably as low as it will get.

carguy1985

I Do Car Photography
Established Member
See Sig LMAO.... jk

If i had 18s id think about doing some homemade mods to my FRPP C's but with 17s would look odd IMO.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
You want the cut the bottom of the spring. Once you look at the spring its pretty easy to figure it out, one part is flat and the other is rounded.

Well I know on one (front/rear) you cut the bottom of the spring and on the other (rear/front) you cut the top. Thats how I did it before and it worked out great.

I really wish we had our "search" feature back!

CobraKalas

Established Member
just curious if anyone knows if GT front springs would work the same as Cobra front springs? Would front GT springs fit a 99 Cobra?

moot09

Established Member
So once cut you can either get the wheels aligned or buy some cc plates correct?

BLACKVNM

Established Member
moot09 said:
So once cut you can either get the wheels aligned or buy some cc plates correct?

You will need an alignment either way. If you lower it enough, you will need to put the CC plates on and then get it aligned.

On a side note, I don't know what to do about mine. I hate to have to take the springs out again but I'm still wanting another 1/4 -1/2 inch. Oh well I guess there are worse things...

Last edited:

03DSGMACH

Established Member
Well Im thinking of buying some H&R SS for my Mach but would rather save the money and cut the springs. Can someone tell me:

1. How much I should cut the rear and the front springs?
2. What should I use to cut them.
3. What are some do's and dont's when cutting springs?

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Well Im thinking of buying some H&R SS for my Mach but would rather save the money and cut the springs. Can someone tell me:

1. How much I should cut the rear and the front springs?
2. What should I use to cut them.
3. What are some do's and dont's when cutting springs?

Here is a little write up i did for someone real quick on here a while back....

I also wrote this for an 03-04 Cobra, not a mach so it may be a bit different...

i did not use a spring compressor but it makes is a bit of a bitch without one. My ride quality is VERY good. did not mess up my alignment but that can be hit or miss with ANY suspension work. and here is the write up if you want it.

Yes....

A spring compressor is VERY helpfull in doing this but not required. It's just a bit of a bitch without one. I didnt use one.

You will need an angle grinder with a metal cutting disk. I wouldnt recommend a diamond blade because it would take a year to cut.

You will also need 2 jacks (or one jack and a jack stand, but 2 jacks is a bit more convienent).

For the front:

Jack up one side and remove your wheel. Unbolt your swaybar bushing nut (should be a 15) and take the nut and bushing off.

Then unbolt the 2 bolts from your spindle to your shock. Back side is a 21 and use a crescent (adjustable) wrench to hold the other. The top bolt has 2 nuts on it (a big one and a thin one). The thin one holds a bracket for a brake sensor. Remove that thin nut first then use the adj. wrench and socket to take out the bolt.

Repeat with the bottom bolt.

IMPORTANT: before you remove both shock bolts, put a jack under the spindle because those two bolts are the only thing holding your spindle from being pushed down by the spring. If you are using a jack stand, put that under the spindle and lower your main jack until the spindle sits on the jack stand to take the bolts out of a bind and make them easy to take out.

Once removed, lift the car back up to let the spindle lower. It wont go all the way and here is where the spring compressor would come in handy. If you have one use it to compress the spring and remove it. If you dont have one, then use a prybar and just keep prying from the bottom untill you can get it out. Its tough.

Once you get it out, take the isolator off (rubber thing on the bottom of the spring), but dont get rid of it unless you want your car as low as mine.

Youre going to take your grinder and cut one complete coil off the bottom of the spring. You know how much to cut because where the coil starts, you follow it down until you get back to where it started. (if you don't understand this, let me know and I will explain better). Then cut straight through it.

Let it cool off before you put it back in or you could melt your isolator. Once cool, put the spring back in. you may have to kick the crap out of it to get it back in but it will be shorter so it wont be as hard as taking it out. And where the spring ends should be in a certain position sitting in the bucket. Make sure you look at it when you take it out so you know. (again, if you dont understand, you can call me or something and I can explain it better)

You may need someone to help you at this point. As you lift the spindle back up to compress the spring, someone may have to hold the spring in place AND your swaybar bolt to guide it into the swaybar.

Once the bolt is far enough in put your bushing and nut back on your swaybar bolt only a few threads....do not tighten it just yet. Then reallign the holes for the bolts on your shock with your spindle. Tighten them all the way. THEN tighten your swaybar nut. (don't forget the nut and bracket for the brake sensor)

Not you can put the wheel back on and lower the car off the jack. It may look high, but it wont look right until the entire car is done and you go drive it a bit.

Repeat on the other side front.

The difference on the back wheels is the only think holding your spindles up is one bolt going through your shock and into the bottom control arm. (It's bigger than a 15mm if I remember correctly)

But you do it the same way.

There is a difference.....on the front springs, it's obvious which side is the top and this is the bottom because the top is kinda square. The back is not like that. The way you tell is like this....the top of the springs end will nearly touch the coil. The bottom is more spaced apart. The bottom is the side you cut.

Repeat the cutting steps and put the springs back in and put the wheels back on. Make sure everything is tight and go drive. At idle, jerk your wheel back and forth to help it settle and then go look at it. If you dont like the height, you can take out iso's.

Any questions, PM me.

David

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread