pictures of lowerd 99-04's with cut springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Wow Thanks David:beer:

Not a problem. PM me if ya got any questions about it. My car is ****in SLAMMED, but i cut 1 coil with NO iso's.

l_22cd778eb11a4b48972412408e90140c.jpg

edswhite99

Established Member
Question for those of you who have removed your front isos. How does not having isos affect the ride? Is there any additional noise/vibration due to a lack of front isos?

SVT1999

Livin' Life
Established Member
WHIPPLEBLOWJOB- that is an awesome write up you did. thanks!!!
I have a few questions about the springs though... You seem to really know your stuff so hopefully you can help me.
I have a 99 cobra. Are they the same springs as a 03-04 or should I find a set from an 03-04? I am looking at cutting one coil front and rear and leaving the ISO in. What would the ride difference be without the ISO?
thanks man

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
I've got a 2001 Bullitt with stock springs. I wanna lower it about 2", so how much should I cut off? It's throwing me off because the car is already lowered stock. Anyone done this or have any suggestions?

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I've got a 2001 Bullitt with stock springs. I wanna lower it about 2", so how much should I cut off? It's throwing me off because the car is already lowered stock. Anyone done this or have any suggestions?

Start with 3/4 then if it's still not low enough cut 1 full coil.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here is a little write up i did for someone real quick on here a while back....

I also wrote this for an 03-04 Cobra, not a mach so it may be a bit different...

i did not use a spring compressor but it makes is a bit of a bitch without one. My ride quality is VERY good. did not mess up my alignment but that can be hit or miss with ANY suspension work. and here is the write up if you want it.

Yes....

A spring compressor is VERY helpfull in doing this but not required. It's just a bit of a bitch without one. I didnt use one.

You will need an angle grinder with a metal cutting disk. I wouldnt recommend a diamond blade because it would take a year to cut.

You will also need 2 jacks (or one jack and a jack stand, but 2 jacks is a bit more convienent).

For the front:

Jack up one side and remove your wheel. Unbolt your swaybar bushing nut (should be a 15) and take the nut and bushing off.

Then unbolt the 2 bolts from your spindle to your shock. Back side is a 21 and use a crescent (adjustable) wrench to hold the other. The top bolt has 2 nuts on it (a big one and a thin one). The thin one holds a bracket for a brake sensor. Remove that thin nut first then use the adj. wrench and socket to take out the bolt.

Repeat with the bottom bolt.

IMPORTANT: before you remove both shock bolts, put a jack under the spindle because those two bolts are the only thing holding your spindle from being pushed down by the spring. If you are using a jack stand, put that under the spindle and lower your main jack until the spindle sits on the jack stand to take the bolts out of a bind and make them easy to take out.

Once removed, lift the car back up to let the spindle lower. It wont go all the way and here is where the spring compressor would come in handy. If you have one use it to compress the spring and remove it. If you dont have one, then use a prybar and just keep prying from the bottom untill you can get it out. Its tough.

Once you get it out, take the isolator off (rubber thing on the bottom of the spring), but dont get rid of it unless you want your car as low as mine.

Youre going to take your grinder and cut one complete coil off the bottom of the spring. You know how much to cut because where the coil starts, you follow it down until you get back to where it started. (if you don't understand this, let me know and I will explain better). Then cut straight through it.

Let it cool off before you put it back in or you could melt your isolator. Once cool, put the spring back in. you may have to kick the crap out of it to get it back in but it will be shorter so it wont be as hard as taking it out. And where the spring ends should be in a certain position sitting in the bucket. Make sure you look at it when you take it out so you know. (again, if you dont understand, you can call me or something and I can explain it better)

You may need someone to help you at this point. As you lift the spindle back up to compress the spring, someone may have to hold the spring in place AND your swaybar bolt to guide it into the swaybar.

Once the bolt is far enough in put your bushing and nut back on your swaybar bolt only a few threads....do not tighten it just yet. Then reallign the holes for the bolts on your shock with your spindle. Tighten them all the way. THEN tighten your swaybar nut. (don't forget the nut and bracket for the brake sensor)

Not you can put the wheel back on and lower the car off the jack. It may look high, but it wont look right until the entire car is done and you go drive it a bit.

Repeat on the other side front.

The difference on the back wheels is the only think holding your spindles up is one bolt going through your shock and into the bottom control arm. (It's bigger than a 15mm if I remember correctly)

But you do it the same way.

There is a difference.....on the front springs, it's obvious which side is the top and this is the bottom because the top is kinda square. The back is not like that. The way you tell is like this....the top of the springs end will nearly touch the coil. The bottom is more spaced apart. The bottom is the side you cut.

Repeat the cutting steps and put the springs back in and put the wheels back on. Make sure everything is tight and go drive. At idle, jerk your wheel back and forth to help it settle and then go look at it. If you dont like the height, you can take out iso's.

Any questions, PM me.

David

Very helpful info! Nice job. You should have it added to the Terminator How-To thread for future use. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/343829-complete-how-write-up-thread.html

luke87gt

Established Member
I am very surprised to hear where people are cutting springs.

If you have a solid live axle:

front: you want to cut from the bottom pigtail so the top of the spring remains flat and stable in the perch.

rear; the bottom pigtail tapers (in other words the diameter of the spring gets reduced) so it makes a snug fit with the control arm perch. Therefore you want to cut from the top of the spring.

How many of you solid live axle guys are actually cutting this part circled in red?? If so, why? I never cut rears because I was able to pull the rear spring out with just a tug of my hand after I bolted up stock cut rears since the springs were no longer stable in the perch... Scary for when you are out on the road. I have no fundamental problems with cutting front however.

springs.gif

Last edited:

RacerrRex

Sorry to bump such an old thread, ive been lurking this forum fora while bu ti had to register just for this thread:

I have a 2002 V6, completlely stock (suspension wise)

I want to lower it but dont wanna spend $500+ on H&R springs, shocks/struts/CC plate etc.

Upon finding this thread, cutting springs 1 coil and removing isos with a CC plate sounds like a much better deal.

I will follow the write up above, but first thing: does anyone know if V6 springs are the same at GT's? and are there any picture guides, too? ive never dealt with suspension before so im clueless haha.

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
Sorry to bump such an old thread, ive been lurking this forum fora while bu ti had to register just for this thread:

I have a 2002 V6, completlely stock (suspension wise)

I want to lower it but dont wanna spend $500+ on H&R springs, shocks/struts/CC plate etc.

Upon finding this thread, cutting springs 1 coil and removing isos with a CC plate sounds like a much better deal.

I will follow the write up above, but first thing: does anyone know if V6 springs are the same at GT's? and are there any picture guides, too? ive never dealt with suspension before so im clueless haha.

If its worth doing? Its worth doing right. With that being said...

If there is any difference they MIGHT be a little bit softer. No real guide, just cut.

Last edited:

Chris0304

Established Member
Thanks for bumping. I was looking for this, or one similar to it earlier w no luck. I have no luck w the search button on this forum!

Jason G76

SVT build
Established Member
Hey guys
I am new here obviously... I got a 2000 GT I'm about to drop
So this is what I did, I got my buddies stock GT springs and I have cut 1 coil off the bottom on the front springs and I cut 1 coil off the top of the rear springs
So when I go to remove my stock springs and install these , how much difference would it make if I re use my isolaters (ride height) , or what could I do to keep the springs quiet

To get the same drop I would get without isos
Should I cut another 1/4 and use the isos to get the same drop?
If I can figure it out I will post pics... She's pretty quick, I installed a engine out of a 04 bullet. And had to Chang the clutch because bolt pattern was different and it basically has bolt ins.... Low mileage engine... Less than 50k
4.10 gears tremec t45
Anyway I'm getting off track... Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread