Ported Eaton a Waste?

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
If I was you OP i would do the port and a Xpipe like everyone said. As long as you get a catted X you should pass inspection in Texas!

liedenfrost

Established Member
I would be happy with 40-50rwhp and be done. if I leave more power on the table so be it. My main concern is pushing 15 psi on a stock eaton. I live in TX and it can get hot here. I want to lower temps by porting. 707SVT makes a valid point. He states the stock exhaust will not let the port do its job.

I want to keep the exhaust stock to keep the smog Nazis at bay for inspection. I am happy with the power it makes and I don't want another car that can't get traction at all into 3rd gear. I've done that before and it gets annoying. The power it makes now is fun for the street. I don't do drag racing at a track or plan to.

My car did fine with a ported eaton and stock midpipe. I had FR500 catback, but it put down 495 rwhp and 472 rwtq. I now replaced the midpipe with a Magnaflow catted X, but don't know how much I picked up. I say go ahead and port the eaton! Very good bang for the buck, especially since a catback is $600 and a midpipe $500 plus install. Do the ported eaton.

SuperRok

Established Member
Does 418 rwhp and 485ish lbs of torque seem low for my car? It pushed 15 psi with upper and lower pulley, ram air intake, Fluidyne Heat Exchanger. The torque numbers are awesome.

It was done on a Mustang Dyno and some say that reads anywhere from 10-12% difference on a Dyno Jet. Basically most shops have the Dynojet since the Mustang Dyno cost quite a bit more. Some argue there isn't much of a difference between the 2.

liedenfrost

Established Member
Don't worry about the dyno numbers so much. Remember, there are peak numbers that everyone likes to quote and there is the "area under the curve" which is more important and you feel it in the seat of your pants. The ported eaton changes your power curve for the better. The car will continue pulling high in the rpm range rather than falling off. I went from 440 rwhp with a 2.8 pulley, to 495 rwhp with a ported eaton and 2.76 upper only. No changes to the exhaust or intake. I'm probably at 505 - 510 now with the midpipe changed out, but I can't feel the difference.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I want to keep the exhaust stock to keep the smog Nazis at bay for inspection. I am happy with the power it makes and I don't want another car that can't get traction at all into 3rd gear. I've done that before and it gets annoying. The power it makes now is fun for the street. I don't do drag racing at a track or plan to.

i've got a magnaflow catted xpipe and pass inspection in texas no problem. the only difference from you is my blower is not ported.....and i'm not sure if that would make a difference or not regarding how it sniffs, you'd have to ask the tuner. my car makes 460rwhp sae on a dynojet at 13-14psi, so i know this exhaust combo works

hinds04

Established Member
Impossible unless the Tune was junk or other issues with the car. Please don't post that unless you link the thread about the Tune. If my Race Port that I sold you only did that much with no questions about the tune or the car itself you'd have either gotten a different Race Port without question or a refund.:beer:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...i-race-port-2-8-4lb-pullley-tune-numbers.html

You can't add a ported blower which for upper only adds an honest 30hp+ with a 2.8 upper like you had. Then add a 4lb lower on top of that and only pick up 19hp. Flat out impossible unless there are other issues either with the Tune, clutch, or the car itself.

I didn't mean this was the fault of a ported blower. Just stating my experience. I guess I just meant nothing is guaranteed. I am still trying to resolve the issue.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The main reason I changed my exhaust was because I crawled under it and saw the necked down section of piping just after the cats, in the cat back portion of the exhaust.:eek: I was amazed at how bad they squeezed it down!

If you insist on keeping the stock exhaust with flows welded in, at minimum you should weld in the same size tubing as the rest of the exhaust in place of the necked down section. This will get you part way to the performance of an aftermarket catback for a fraction of the price. It will still sound close to the same, but will be a touch louder.

Aftermarket h or X pipes with cats are big money, mine is stock and is going to stay that way. I am not impressed with the longevity of a lot of the aftermarket cats. The stock Ford cats are incredibly ROBUST! I might do an off road pipe for track events but not high flow cats.:nonono: I am not a fan.
Aftermarket cats will be slightly louder and off road pipe will be A LOT LOUDER! It's kind of a lot of work once a year to put your cat pipe back on but an off road pipe will be worth at least 10 horse.

I most definitely recommend doing the POSI port also:rockon:, It's pretty tough to even touch the bang for the buck, just watch your maf counts and your fuel pump duty cycle, because you WILL be moving a good bit more air. Log those parameters after the port just to be safe.

As far as cooling goes any time you increase horsepower you will increase engine coolant heat, if you reduce IAT2 temps you will make more horsepower and WILL MAKE a proportional amount more of heat.

If you have not addressed a couple key coolant modifications yet you should.
In Texas IAT2 temps are not near the problem that ECT temps are.
The only things I am recommending that will help your temps are the following.
I recommend opened up hood vent flaps, lowered fan kick points, and a 170 Reische Performance thermostat should all be done before next summer.
It is a sticky for very good reason, please use this Tstat, it is simply the best available and very effective.:rockon:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ostat-cooling-system-reische-performance.html

Stang Stalker

Established Member
I want to keep my exhaust system stock. It only has flowmaster mufflers. I have a stock eaton hitting 15 psi with pulley swap. I want to port the Eaton to lower temps and gain a little bit of hp. Some say that is pointless unless I swap out the exhaust. I say no. Thoughts?
If you want to get rid of the heat go with a bigger intercooler
I think the one Tork Tech puts out is a 1/3 larger than the Stock
Eaton intercooler
I build no Heat even after driving hard

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
IDk in some ways I think a port is wasted all together. Yeah theres a power increase. But pay for that, supporting mods and another tune is a chunk of cash. I would safe all them money for a twinscrew, because many people that port the eaton want more power and eventually go that route anyways.

hinds04

Established Member
Everything you just listed has to be done with a TS as well. $600 port or $3500+ TS. Doing the port first allows you to get done with the supporting mods. This way later you can just slap on the TS.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I didn't mean this was the fault of a ported blower. Just stating my experience. I guess I just meant nothing is guaranteed. I am still trying to resolve the issue.

Yes but there was more to the story on your car unfortunately and it wasn't the port. That I'll guarantee.:beer:

Everything you just listed has to be done with a TS as well. $600 port or $3500+ TS. Doing the port first allows you to get done with the supporting mods. This way later you can just slap on the TS.

Exactly and then when it's time to upgrade when you ask your wife she'll say "what else do you need" then it's just a simple "NOTHING":lol1:

xenodragon

Established Member
If you ever plan on getting a twin screw supercharger, then a ported Eaton is a waste. If you dont then the ported eaton is the best bang for the buck

mrose75

Established Member
I would be happy with 40-50rwhp and be done. if I leave more power on the table so be it. My main concern is pushing 15 psi on a stock eaton. I live in TX and it can get hot here. I want to lower temps by porting. 707SVT makes a valid point. He states the stock exhaust will not let the port do its job.

I want to keep the exhaust stock to keep the smog Nazis at bay for inspection.

Do you know how many Cobras have BEEN running around TX without issues? And an aftermarket exhaust will not get you hassled by "smog Nazis". I just left TX after 10 years of living there and the only time I had my exhaust checked was during a dyno session, never during an inspection.

trendkilllx

Established Member
I am in California and my car passes both the visual and sniffer with an MRT catted hpipe, high flow cats but the pipe was about $450 5 years ago. It uses the magnaflow cats that seem to be better than what some of the other companies use. The car came from out of state so this could be why it passes with just 2 cats, as you are not allowed to change the mid pipe from stock once the car is registered in here.

Users who are viewing this thread