Post Pics and driving impressions of your GT500

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
dgussin1 said:
that's odd...perhaps it's an electrical boost gauge? I don't like to hear this. I guess maybe a boost gauge will be my second addition to the already planned water temp gauge.

If I had to guess, I would say it's electrc? Keep in mind, I'm not used to these huffed motors. But the gauge seems to be like a switch because it doesn't move at all in just normal (slow) city driving. But get that go fast pedal down and she's a movin'. :bowdown:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
ac427cobra said:
If I had to guess, I would say it's electrc? Keep in mind, I'm not used to these huffed motors. But the gauge seems to be like a switch because it doesn't move at all in just normal (slow) city driving. But get that go fast pedal down and she's a movin'. :bowdown:

That's normal Bruce. It shouldn't be in boost in casual driving.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
That's normal Bruce. It shouldn't be in boost in casual driving.
it shouldn't hesitate to go to boost though. you should be able to cruise down the road and tap the throttle and the boost gauge should go up and down up and down without hesitation.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Well, I was able to drive the car again today! :pepper: And then admire it sitting in the garage for a while.

Fit and finish are very nice. All seams are very even and all panels line up nicely. Doors are exceptionally solid when closing. Paint is very good. I found the seatback lumbar support finally! :read: I'm a relatively tall guy and there is NOT a lot of room in the back seat when I'm driving. ;-) I don't see that as being a big deal though. Not sure anyone will ever be back there? There also is no place in the passenger compartment that the owner's booklet will fit. :( Not in the glove box, not in the console and not in the door pocket. Is that a big deal? I don't think so? :-D I can live with that!

How am I ever going to NOT get a ticket in this thing, I will never know! The car is ridiculously fast to drive on the street. Understand, I am a Track Dawg and like to do all of my "performance" driving on the track in a controlled environment.

I was kind of wondering why I didn't see the boost gauge moving much? Well, you have to have your foot on the floor for a second before the boost gauge points towards fun. If you could see the silly look on my face as this car plants me into the seat back you'd understand why I have so much fun driving this car!?

I think a drag race between this car and my modded "R" (based on my SOTP dyno, this GT500 would kill the stock '00 R IMHO) would be a very interesting race. My "R" is 3,300# 400 NA RWHP and accelerates pretty damn good but not like this car does! I truly have no interest in drag racing whatsoever but it would be an interesting race nonetheless.

Road course is a different matter. This stock GT500 would own a stock 2000 "R" IMHO. That is until the car went into limp mode or the front tires overheated? Which ever came first? :lol: My modded "R" would own this car, no question.

You can tell the gear heads driving on the road because they are rubber necking the car where ever I go. The car draws quite a bit of attention where ever it goes.

It's everything that I had expected! And more! :rockon:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

That's awesome. :beer:
I can't wait till I get one. :rockon:
And to think that there was some on here that said that this car wouldn't outperform a Cobra R (much less a Terminator) stock for stock. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Bruce,
Congrats! Car looks awesome.. Exactly how I would order mine.

You mentioned how it was slow, and then got fast after the limp mode was disabled..

Did you happen to notice what the boost was showing at WOT before and after the "limp mode" was on?

TR MACH

Established Member
The Shelby is Coming!!

My dad's Red with white Shelby is coming in either today or tomorrow, depending if the carrier is picking up any more cars to deliver. Pics will be up as soon as it arrives!! And possibly osme video, if i figure out how to work it with my computer.

WDW MKR

Established Member
After reading of your impressions, I would really like to see a race between the GT500 and '00 R on the same road course, same day. We could see how calibrated your ass dyno is! :D

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
ac427cobra said:

Obviously, I would not know about the Shelby, but the boost gage on the '03 is mechanical. Keep in mind, it does not display manifold vacuum, so it only starts to move after the equivalent of WOT in a NA car. I rarely see the one in my '03 move because the times when you're modulating the throttle in the region between zero manifold vacuum and full boost your eyes should not be on the instument panel. When I look down it's either pegged at the bottom or the top.

On yours, I would expect you're already laying down 300+ ft-lb of torque before the needle moves off of zero.

If you want to see it somewhere in between, put it one of the top three gears with clear road ahead and slowly mash the fun pedal.

As mentioned by dgussin1 I would not expect hesitation of the boost gage. In the '03 it does not hesitate at all. If you do not feel the lag in the seat of the pants, the gage is probably over damped. If you do feel the lag in acceleration, then maybe you have on of the rare factory turbo Shelbys???? :rolling: There's a rumor that they exist. (I just started it);-)

If it really bothers you, I'll come pick it up to put your mind at ease. No thanks necessary, I just want to help.:poke:

Have fun, play safe.

--Mike

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
SDW Racing said:
Bruce,

Congrats!

I'll give you $10K for the 00R. deal?:kaboom: :kaboom:

Johnny Mac:

What a generous offer?!?! :fart: Let me think about it, ok? :p

Purvis said:
Bruce,
Congrats! Car looks awesome.. Exactly how I would order mine.

You mentioned how it was slow, and then got fast after the limp mode was disabled..

Did you happen to notice what the boost was showing at WOT before and after the "limp mode" was on?

No, was too excited driving the car! Never had a boost gauge until this car!

ShelbyGuy said:
congratulations on your new addition.

bringing it to northwoods at autobahn or scmc gingerman, bruce?

I'm thinking more like the BMW driving school next Spring at Road America?

Mike:

The boost gauge barely moves unless you tromp the fun pedal?

Mr. Mysti said:
Bruce,

When can we expect a new gear in the back w/ a T2R? :D

Vince:

No, she's not going to be a track ho like the "R". Just mildly abused and mostly stock. One track ho in the fleet is plenty!

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I doubt, Stock for stock the gt500 will out gun a 00 R on a road coarse for anything but a few laps becasue of the blower heat soaking the engine. There is a reason why you don't see blown cars in anything other than drag racing.
Also the added weight will really wear on the tires and brakes on the gt500

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
chuckstang said:
I doubt, Stock for stock the gt500 will out gun a 00 R on a road coarse for anything but a few laps becasue of the blower heat soaking the engine. There is a reason why you don't see blown cars in anything other than drag racing.
Also the added weight will really wear on the tires and brakes on the gt500

Chuckathon:

Please re-read what I wrote:

ac427cobra said:
Road course is a different matter. This stock GT500 would own a stock 2000 "R" IMHO. That is until the car went into limp mode or the front tires overheated? Which ever came first? :lol: My modded "R" would own this car, no question.

This is from someone who has owned, and driven BOTH cars! :idea:

The GT500 has bigger/better brakes than the 2000 R. Yes the GT500 is heavier, but the brakes more than make up for it!

We will never know for sure because my '00 R is FAR from stock at this point.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
dgussin1 said:
are you saying that a GT500 brakes better than an 00R, stock for stock?

David:

Yes, I believe the 14" Brembo braking system on the GT500 (even being a few hundred pounds heavier) is superior to the 13" version of same on the '00 "R".

It is my opinion, the one inch larger diameter MORE than makes up for the additional weight!

It woud be interesting to see the braking tests magazines have done on the two cars? I'm too lazy/don't have enough time to look it up myself! :read:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
WOW!!!

Congratulations!!!

Now you have a super fun air conditioned streeter to play with TOO!!!

I have a feeling you are going to love the TORQUE a PD supercharged engine brings to the party!!!

It feels like the off idle grunt of the big blocks of the old days.... except they keep pulling up top.. and they idle smooth as glass.

I can only imagine what a 5.4 must feel like... JUST WOW!!!!

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It's very cool Jimmy, very cool! :coolman:

It's like my "R" with a huffer on it! :rockon: As a bonus, I can turn the air on when I get hot! :bowdown:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You are just the guy to bring some well deserved respect to the GT500 owners as a group.

Many people have a false image of old rich guys who can't drive... and have more money than common sense.

As far as old... that is a state of mind.
As far as rich... that is relative...
As far as can't drive...................... FUGEDABOUDIT!!!

As for common sense... I believe there is still a Vette ban currently in place in your garage???
Well there you go!!:rockon: :thumbsup: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread