IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
rk_2000_Z/28 said:
DAAAAAAMMMMMNNNNNNN!!!!!
That is EXACTLY why I said these cars get me worried when I see one!

Once I get a little extra cash, I would love to pick up a LX notch and just make it a sub 3000lb track rat!

Foxbodys can be made stupid fast for not alot of money. My car was only a 306, with a 5 angle valve job on the heads, FRP E303 cam, and out of the box intake.
twisted2.jpg

JaguarS4R

Established Member
twisted89GT said:
Foxbodys can be made stupid fast for not alot of money. My car was only a 306, with a 5 angle valve job on the heads, FRP E303 cam, and out of the box intake.
twisted2.jpg

what is the year of the newer better looking taillights? They started with a better interior as well, was it all 1990?

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
VikingDiesel said:
Might be getting a fox body as a 2nd car, I dont like the 4 eyed-freak and I want an EFI, I heard 90-92 are the best years b/c of forged internals, true?

91-92 are generally the best years because of the widened wheel wells, forged internals, and mass air (although the 87-88's ran harder and generally put 10-15 more to the ground stock to stock they don't respond well to cam swaps and F.I.).

Here's some pics from previous owner. The way it sits now is in the sig.

242956_242_full.jpg

242956_241_full.jpg

Last edited:

JaguarS4R

Established Member
ford5.0forlife said:
91-92 are generally the best years because of the widened wheel wells, forged internals, and mass air (although the 87-88's ran harder and generally put 10-15 more to the ground stock to stock they don't respond well to cam swaps and F.I.).

Mine's in my sig, hehe.

is there a website that lists all differences? So completely forget about the 93's and what about the COBRA motor? 87-88 also had the old interior correct? What year did they change the inside?

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
VikingDiesel said:
what is the year of the newer better looking taillights? They started with a better interior as well, was it all 1990?

All 87-93 GT's had the louvered tailights. The LX tailights are generally a first upgrade. The interior was basically the same throught the 87-93 model run with the fillowing exceptions:
89 to 90 the interior fabric was changed and smaller headrests were used.
89 to 90 the a/c knobs changed a bit and the little dummy lights were integrated into the main cluster.
90 was also the first year to have an airbag.
90 was the last year to have a matching cloth insert on the door panel
91 was the last year for the pullout knee bolster
93 the radio changed and was the only year to offer a CD player

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
VikingDiesel said:
is there a website that lists all differences? So completely forget about the 93's and what about the COBRA motor? 87-88 also had the old interior correct? What year did they change the inside?

The 93 cars are identical to the 92 cars except for the pistons. Some people think they are weaker, but have proven time and again to be just as tough and provide better sealing in the bore.

The Cobra motor was only offered in the 93 Cobra.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
twisted89GT said:
The 93 cars are identical to the 92 cars except for the pistons. Some people think they are weaker, but have proven time and again to be just as tough and provide better sealing in the bore.

The Cobra motor was only offered in the 93 Cobra.

how is the cobra motor? less moddible? Found a 91 LX w/ a COBRA engine in my area.

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
VikingDiesel said:

The 93's are all hyper teutonic pistons and not forged. As someone said with a good tune the block will go before the internals. However, there are alot of people who think and have seen the opposite as well.

In reality all the 87-88 car's actually put down 225 crank HP. The 89-93 really only put down around 205-210 crank HP. FORD rerated the mustang in 1993 to reflect the minor changes year to year... Such as

1. revised exhaust system (more restrictive)
2. revised mass air camshaft (little less duration IIRC)
3. restriction in the intake tract (mass air meter + screen)

there is a few more but I don't remember off the top of my head.

I don't know what interior change you are talking about but the 90-93 cars had the different wheel/airbags + 89-93 cars had the 140 mph speedo.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
VikingDiesel said:
how is the cobra motor? less moddible? Found a 91 LX w/ a COBRA engine in my area.

You will get that alot. everyone and their brother says they have a Cobra motor. Tell him to prove it. The front of the heads should have three vertical lines cast into them, and the intake should be a Cobra.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
ford5.0forlife said:
The 93's are all hyper teutonic pistons and not forged. As someone said with a good tune the block will go before the internals. However, there are alot of people who think and have seen the opposite as well.

In reality all the 87-88 car's actually put down 225 crank HP. The 89-93 really only put down around 205-210 crank HP. FORD rerated the mustang in 1993 to reflect the minor changes year to year... Such as

1. revised exhaust system (more restrictive)
2. revised mass air camshaft (little less duration IIRC)
3. restriction in the intake tract (mass air meter + screen)

there is a few more but I don't remember off the top of my head.

I don't know what interior change you are talking about but the 90-93 cars had the different wheel/airbags + 89-93 cars had the 140 mph speedo.

well im pretty much looking for the most modern one with the strongest bottom end and LX. The thing I would do is TWIN turbo. NO SPRAY or anything, strictly turbo. im thinking 90-92 is the best for me,:shrug:

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
VikingDiesel said:

The cobra motor is 235hp, has bigger cam, mass air, injectors, different intake, better flowing heads, overall timing curve is less but comes in faster.

all that for 10 more hp.

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
Snowboarda42 said:
The cobra motor is 235hp, has bigger cam, mass air, injectors, different intake, better flowing heads, overall timing curve is less but comes in faster.

all that for 10 more hp.

93 cobras will put much more than 10rwhp to the ground vs. a GT/LX 5.0 of any model year. Read my post about the 1993 rerating. Basically all cars 89+ up were only ~205 crank hp.

I say the posters best bet is the 91-92 cars w/ bigger wheel wells, mass air, and forged internals.

I doubt that car is a cobra motor, like someone said. Check for blue injectors, cobra intake, and the mass air (probably aftermarket), and heads for GT-40 differences.

Those motors also came w/ 1.7 rockers, and 65mm Throttle body.. Much bigger improvement than the stock 5.0. For this reason 93 cobras were UNDERRATED. While stock GT/LX 5.0's were slightly OVERRATED.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread