Project Icey Reservoir-*WARNING* Lots of DATA

bonehead

F**k SRT10's
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Ford did say that. I don't have the data to answer your question boner at this time as I haven't done any high load, high speed testing yet. The best way to tell how quickly the system recovers is to measure the actual fluid temps while performing such tests and I'm not setup to do that.

HE type and size as well as conditions can all determine recovery time I guess.

copy. thank you sir. what would you need to get setup for that?

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
STL Lightning said:
I understand the formula, but 1% of 500 is 5. I didn't see a 100* drop to equal 50.

-Mark

You're correct, I'm handling too many numbers I guess. :bash:

I probably shouldn't have began speculating, I should know better.

If you'll look at the screenshots pay particular attention to the when the systme is on and you will see that the air temp exiting the i/c (IAT2) gets much closer to the temp of the air coming into the intake (IAT).

Last edited:

STL Lightning

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
You're correct, I'm handling too many numbers I guess. :bash:

I probably shouldn't have began speculating, I should know better.

If you'll look at the screenshots pay particular attention to the when the systme is on and you will see that the air temp exiting the i/c (IAT2) gets much closer to the temp of the air coming into the intake (IAT).

I have a lot of hope for this system as it has the potential to outperform a H/E in situations you actually need it. Too many guys get H/E upgrades and expect it to help at the track, which it doesn't. This is a system that could work at the track very well (assuming condensation can be controlled in the A/C system) and not be messy like ice boxes.

-Mark

Skrapmetal

Established Member
boner said:
didnt ford say it was onlly effective for 10-12 seconds? if so, is this sytem different? does it last longer? the only way i see it being useless after a 1/4 blast is maybe heat created by load and rpms. maybe because the a/c shuts off at WOT? im kinda lost on as to why it would only work for such a short period of time. i guess my main question is will this system keep those same temps after multiple WOT runs?

Based on what's been said so far and the pictures, this looks like it's a bit different. It's the same as it uses the AC to cool things down, but that's about it. This appears to basically add a second heat exchanger to the intercooling system, one that is cooled by the AC instead of a pass-through radiator. I'm not sure how the Gen III system worked, but the short bursts they described definitely didn't sound like this sort of thing.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The Gen III system chilled a seperate tank with fluid to ~30* and when ready and going WOT the stored fluid would be released thus cooling temps and incresing power for 30-45 seconds.

This system cools all the fluid all the time as long as a/c is on so the constant benefit of cooler cylinder air is seen during all phases of driving.

askiles

I can't stop MODDING!!!
Established Member
I can't wait to see other people's opinions on this. I know I think it is an awesome idea, especially for me, who drives my Lightning in 120 degree Arizona weather, with the AC on anyways. Keep us updated on the progress, I might have to buy one.

-Andy

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
This will certainly be on my list for next year. I know I would run it all the time during the summer, out for drives. I could see it being a nice advantage on those "legal" (off)street racing events :-D

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Ford did say that. I don't have the data to answer your question boner at this time as I haven't done any high load, high speed testing yet. The best way to tell how quickly the system recovers is to measure the actual fluid temps while performing such tests and I'm not setup to do that.

HE type and size as well as conditions can all determine recovery time I guess.

You may also want to include the refrigerant used Bob. Stock we are R134a and supposedly you can use R404 (or is it R507..i forget) without changing anything. It wouldnt get as cold but it would be able to take the higher heat load that 134 can't. (this is going by memory...but im no refrigerant god so ill let someone else chime in here)

But I dont see you trying that out LOL

now if that thing came with a washer res id be all over it!

Last edited:

LightningEd

Established Member
Great way to do it

Really a great idea. The application may just help out for that little extra. Tell ya what, send me one to install and I will test it here in St. Louis at the track. Of course, I will send all data to be used for real world. I do have an SCT 2 and can datalog the entire event.

My modifications are pretty normal for alot of the L owners so it would really prove the benefits. :pop:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
I used R-134a again since it's readily available and relatively cheap. I'll do some track testing as soon as I can but IDK when that will be.

Well like I said I have been told 404 and 507 will go right into a 134 system without any system changes...but like I said I don't know for 100% that itll not give you issues. And going by memory 507 will handle higher heat loads than 134, which in our case may prove to be really damn good!
Do we have ANY refrigeration folks on this forum that can confirm the 507 into 134 system crap?

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
I got pointed here from a post in the terminator talk section.

One big thing on my mind is this : driving the AC is ALOT more parasitic drag on the motor. My bet would be in the 20+HP range. With that in mind, I think this mod would be better to chill the coolant before a run/pass ( or between multiple runs) rather than run with it on.

Thoughts?

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
I don't know. I don't know how much HP the a/c uses when on, nor do I know how much the IR will add, I can only speculate and I'm not going to specualte.

However, since the a/c is disabled when going WOT in the tune then there is no parasitic loss when accelerating hard. Throttle position determines at what point the a/c is diabled in the tune and can be changed. The time that the compressor is deactivated after reaching this point can be set as well.

Mine is set to shut off at 750 counts (3.66 volts) and stays off for 15 seconds minimum.

I addressed this subject somewhat as you can see. IDK if other vehicles' tunes are similar to the stock L's tune or not.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Fade2Black, can you possibly address any of these concerns? (from Venomous01 in the terminator forum)

Someone had contacted me about being the test car for a similar product. Actually it may be the same guy.

The problem that I have heard about these is that your a/c doesn't work as well or last as long b/c you're tapping into the system resulting additional wear on the system as well as a longer timeframe for the a/c to blow cool air into the cabin. However I believe when I spoke with the guy making these he said IAT2s cruising dropped about 10-20 degrees with the a/c on, but to what ill effects? Interesting if it shuts off under WOT, but not sure what ill effects are caused as a result. I'd like to see more data.

Now as far as applications, I would say for drag racing this would be a cool way to lower the IATs in the staging area, but don't most people have the car off? This would require the car to be on to run the a/c at it's optimal level thus causing the engine compartment to heat up negating the positive affects of this setup. IMO the car off with ice in the I/C box is a much better alternative for drag racers. Secondly the open track users. If they want to cool their IAT2s they can turn on the a/c, however they will lose some power as a result and increase the drag on the motor during long sessions possibly increasing wear on the motor and again on the a/c system which now must work double time to cool a cabin and cool coolant/IAT2s. So there is some give and take there as well. I think those who would benefit from this the most are those who DD their Cobras in hot climates and want their IAT2s lower for whatever reason, but even then such a setup really isn't necessary because lower IAT2s is truely a performance subject and is most important under performance scenarios. All of what I stated above along with others advice, experience testing this product and direction made me stay away from the setup.

I think adding a larger I/C reservoir in the trunk for a huge increase in coolant volume as well as some kind of setup around that box that acts as a separate cooler would be something very cool. Something similar to say my MM differential cooler setup. When the temp of the coolant in the box or the IAT2s hit a certain temp the cooler turns on and chills the box without dragging on the a/c system, but rather just a 12v source. I think that would be an interesting concept for cooling the coolant, box and IAT2s.

This is all just my opinion of course with the influence of those who work on these cars, drag race these cars and open track these cars. All of which were opposed to it's setup and stated additional wear on the a/c system and motor. In "theory" the product means well, but it isn't executed properly and doesn't work under conditions that allow for optimal performance.

The above is not meant to knock on this product by any means, rather I am playing devils advocate to make sure this is a product that is more beneficial then detrimental.

Thoughts?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Hello all,

I was the one who posted the above. Looking for additional info and interested in your data and results. Thanks for posting here Steve.

Cheers,

:beer:

askiles

I can't stop MODDING!!!
Established Member
I want one just for my every day driving. I live in Phoenix, AZ, where my IAT2's were getting in the 190's!! I drive the truck every day, and with the AC on most of the time. Since it is already on, why not use it to cool my air temps? This is the reason I want one.

-Andy

rlearp

Established Member
I would also like one, but, how is the cabin AC affected? I think someone else asked this as well.

The cabin AC might not be affected at all is the standard compressor is up to the task with the additional evaporator, plumbing, and fluid. I live in hot NC, as some of you other folks do, and the AC is on pretty much 9 months out of the year.

R

Users who are viewing this thread