Project-Obsessive Compulsive Disorder! Full Cobra Build.. Lots of *PICS*

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
you could always piece together your own set of stainless steel allen head bolts, everything for the intake hat , coil covers, and valve covers are m6 you just need to match up your old bolts for the length, i did it at a sears by me and it was half the price as anything online

HandsomeRob

Established Member
That table of parts had me drooling, since i have been a member on here you have had a thread a week about something new you have been doing to your car, this does and doesnt surprise me, your car is sweet and the ending result i think will be well worth it..nice work rob

Thanks for the compliment bro. This build is taking over my life at the moment.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm just gunna kick back and watchya build it.. Then when it's done you'll probably sell it like 99% of everyone does.. then I'll swoop it up hahahaha j/k

HandsomeRob

Established Member
-Edit- Originally dropped off heads at MMR. Change of plans. Picked heads back up from MMR and going different route. -To be Continued-

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Just go bronze valve guides. I wouldn't re-use the stock ones from your old motor.. also why wouldn't you go oversized?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Just go bronze valve guides. I wouldn't re-use the stock ones from your old motor.. also why wouldn't you go oversized?

They never really recommended oversized valves. They said it doesn't really do much. They also said the stock valve guides are fine as long as they aren't worn out. Should I just say **** it and pay for bronze valve guides? I feel like I'm torn in 2 different directions

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
yes in this case pay for it.. Better to do it now then in 20k miles your guides are worn out.. Seriously. What is 300 bucks at this point? Listen to the guy who said eff it and had a built motor put together only to have it torn apart 10k later because it was puffing blue smoke everywhere! It's worth the 300 now vs the 4k later because you had to pull the heads again!

Last edited:

HandsomeRob

Established Member
yes in this case pay for it.. Better to do it now then in 20k miles your guides are worn out.. Seriously. What is 300 bucks at this point? Listen to the guy who said eff it and had a built motor put together only to have it torn apart 10k later because it was puffing blue smoke everywhere! It's worth the 300 now vs the 4k later because you had to pull the heads again!
yea I think you are right.
I've done some reading and I think bronze valve guides are for racers only no? I'm looking for realibility. I want this motor to last a long time. Dont bronze valve guides wear out sooner than steel ones? I'm not experienced in this field so much help is appreciated. Do I want oversized valves too? Hell if i know

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I think you can do bronze lined guides.. So the outside is steel and the inside is bronze.. I might have that reversed, but either way replace them with either new ones or bronze..

Helomech74

Established Member
I have a set of heads with over 50K miles on them with bronze guides and no issues at all. They are just as reliable if not more reliable then stockers.

redrocket16

Established Member
Is it a fair question to ask how much you are into the parts to this point? I'm looking at alot of the same stuff and just wondering where you are at with that side of things. Car is gonna be 1 sick ride when its all said and done!

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Is it a fair question to ask how much you are into the parts to this point? I'm looking at alot of the same stuff and just wondering where you are at with that side of things. Car is gonna be 1 sick ride when its all said and done!

I would guess around $5K. The more I think about it the more I want to drink the rest of the Vodka in the freezer. ;(

redrocket16

Established Member
I would guess around $5K. The more I think about it the more I want to drink the rest of the Vodka in the freezer. ;(

Thats about what I would have right up front for the build for mine too, glad to see its about what I was thinking. Good luck with it man, its gonna turn out killer:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread