Pulled the motor tonight

RussZTT

Established Member
Update....

Pushed the car up a few feet so I wouldn't get any flat spots on the tires :D

Unable to purchase parts right now. :bash:

TermySnake

Established Member
is that cylinder from the driver side... cylinder # what?

looks good. best of luck with your project.

gmsux

Established Member
Check your tune!

With your new JE's are you going to get them ceramic/teflon coated?

Aluminators are great but, the idea of TT he should just build the Teksid and get the best pistons he can afford.

RussZTT

Established Member
is that cylinder from the driver side... cylinder # what?

looks good. best of luck with your project.

Thanks, yes that is number 5 piston. The shortblock is almost done. Al Paptito is putting it together with CP pistons in a Teksid block. Got new bronze valve guides, new seals with a valve job. Im doing a home port on the Eaton. I will post some pics of port work after I put some numbers down.:rockon:

RussZTT

Established Member
Check your tune!

With your new JE's are you going to get them ceramic/teflon coated?

Aluminators are great but, the idea of TT he should just build the Teksid and get the best pistons he can afford.

It wasn't the tune, it was from boosting in 6th gear. I was racing echo412 at the time heh. The Teksid was .20 over but Al measured them and said it was little on the big side for .20 over piston so he went .30 on it. Staying with the tight ptw clearence and going either .021 or .024 top ring gap. I'll post pictures of the shortblock when I get it back.
Oh, I did push the car out to wash it few weeks ago haha. Went ahead and detailed the engine compartment while the engine is out. I would LOVE to put a tubular K member in but will wait till I get the turbo kit. Got it back in the garage with the car cover on it now.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
what was your AFR's?

5th gear with lean (12:1 or leaner) AFRs is what did it. To this day i do not understand why tuners out there are putting these motors at 12:1, while every other boosted pump-gas application keep theirs at 11.5:1, and we wonder why theres so many high-speed horror stories........

you can boost in 5th and 6th all day long if you stick to 11.5:1 or richer, like it does from the factory. Richer afr = cooler cylinder temps. leaner afr = more heat = pistons expand too much = blown motor.

Last edited:

RussZTT

Established Member
what was your AFR's?

5th gear with lean (12:1 or leaner) AFRs is what did it. To this day i do not understand why tuners out there are putting these motors at 12:1, while every other boosted pump-gas application keep theirs at 11.5:1, and we wonder why theres so many high-speed horror stories........

you can boost in 5th and 6th all day long if you stick to 11.5:1 or richer, like it does from the factory. Richer afr = cooler cylinder temps. leaner afr = more heat = pistons expand too much = blown motor.
The tune never went past 11.5. Did alot of data logging before hand and everything was good. It was a cooler night but not by much. No head cooling mod, no aftermarket HE, a 2.76 non ported was it.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
what was your AFR's?

^That has not been proven. Didn't we just discuss this the other day? Maybe not with you but still.

Good luck Russ and nice to see things moving along. Any forward movement in this economy is a good thing.

JRE

Banned
^That has not been proven. Didn't we just discuss this the other day? Maybe not with you but still.

+1. Yeah, gotta say there is no reason to abuse the motor once you are spinning the crank slower than the rear (5th and 6th gear). Tune notwithstanding, it's just not a good idea at all.

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
No, I already have a Teksid that is .20 over that im going to build. Just going to use the stock crank, rods with JE pistons.

lol THat's funny. That's the exact build I have at the machine shop right now. Make sure to do main studs and head studs! Studded teksid build with JE pistons will take some abuse!!!

Users who are viewing this thread