Reservoir Tanks From Revan Racing

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Just hand polished with a rag and mothers aluminum polish. Cant really tell by the pics i posted though, but they almost look like mirrors in person.

Nice! I got some Mothers Metal Polish & did a little on the bottom of the tank. I couldn't tell much difference. I'll try again. I'm wondering if more grit is needed & stage it down in abrasion to get a fine polished finish.

masonh

Established Member
Nice! I got some Mothers Metal Polish & did a little on the bottom of the tank. I couldn't tell much difference. I'll try again. I'm wondering if more grit is needed & stage it down in abrasion to get a fine polished finish.

Mine wouldn't polish either, I was initially going to mount them polished, but I put about 15 minutes worth of elbow grease into two different sides and I didn't see much difference. They got a little cleaner looking but not polished aluminum looking.

I figured they needed a little sanding first and I wasn't up for it so I painted them matte black instead and actually like the black better.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Mine wouldn't polish either, I was initially going to mount them polished, but I put about 15 minutes worth of elbow grease into two different sides and I didn't see much difference. They got a little cleaner looking but not polished aluminum looking.

I figured they needed a little sanding first and I wasn't up for it so I painted them matte black instead and actually like the black better.

I'm having custom caps made now, there's a polishing guru in the shop. I'll pick his brain on how to polish them. The Mothers Metal polish I'm useing ain't cutting it.

Bad Company

Established Member
Here are a few pictures of Matte Black

Now as far as polishing brushed aluminum. You will need a cutting wheel mounted on a grinder with jewelers rouge to cut the surface to a mirror finish. Then you use the hand polishes like Mothers to maintain it.
IMG_3658.gif

IMG_3657.gif

IMG_3656.gif

IMG_3655.gif

IMG_3654.gif

Van@RevanRacing

Here are a few pictures of Matte Black

Now as far as polishing brushed aluminum. You will need a cutting wheel mounted on a grinder with jewelers rouge to cut the surface to a mirror finish. Then you use the hand polishes like Mothers to maintain it.
IMG_3658.gif

IMG_3657.gif

IMG_3656.gif

IMG_3655.gif

IMG_3654.gif

Thanks for posting these up Bad Company!! They indeed look awesome.

Van@RevanRacing

Van, did you all have to change BOTH tanks for the 2013-14?
Have changed your mind on offering a fuel cell type opening on the intercooler tank?

Just the Heat Exchanger/Intercooler Reservoir. No we will not be offering the fuel cell type opening. They tend to leak and the 13-14 gets' hotter because it is not part of primary flow as it was in the 07-12 plumbing system.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I apologize for the thread resurrection, but this seemed like the best place to thank Van for a GREAT product and EXCELLENT service. When I called to order the reservoirs last week, he patiently answered all my questions, extended a forum members' discount, and shipped the package quickly. Having ordered on Monday afternoon, the box arrived on Friday. I installed them this afternoon...

Before:
IMG_0165_zpsda83dc34.gif

After:
IMG_0301_zps43d47151.gif

IMG_0309_zps0121f00f.gif

IMG_0304_zps45e9947f.gif

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
I apologize for the thread resurrection, but this seemed like the best place to thank Van for a GREAT product and EXCELLENT service. When I called to order the reservoirs last week, he patiently answered all my questions, extended a forum members' discount, and shipped the package quickly. Having ordered on Monday afternoon, the box arrived on Friday. I installed them this afternoon...

Before:
IMG_0165_zpsda83dc34.gif

After:
IMG_0301_zps43d47151.gif

IMG_0309_zps0121f00f.gif

IMG_0304_zps45e9947f.gif

Looks good!! :beer:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I had to go with polished. NORTON! Under a magnifying glass, I found a spec of dust the size of a gnat eyelash in the pics you posted. Are you sure that's your car?
DSC00585_zps81648649.jpg

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

You HAD to bring up the fact that I haven't done my Spring detailing yet, didn't you, CC? When I was posting the pics, I KNEW somebody would notice. :poke: (It's been in the garage, undriven, since 27 Dec! When I took it out today, I was mortified at the dust buildup everywhere, including inside! :nonono: The weather was nice, but I can't wait for consistent detailing temps...) Yours looks AWESOME, as always. What kind of caps are you running on your reservoirs, BTW?

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

You HAD to bring up the fact that I haven't done my Spring detailing yet, didn't you, CC? When I was posting the pics, I KNEW somebody would notice. :poke: (It's been in the garage, undriven, since 27 Dec! When I took it out today, I was mortified at the dust buildup everywhere, including inside! :nonono: The weather was nice, but I can't wait for consistent detailing temps...) Yours looks AWESOME, as always. What kind of caps are you running on your reservoirs, BTW?

Heck, I was just gigging you. Your engine is cleaner than most when it's dirty! I'd not worry.
I refused to pay for Shelby's caps so I had a set custom made. They are actually covers that fit over the OEM caps, works great. They need some more polishing to match the tanks but at least their original.

Johnny GT500

Established Member
CC as I've mentioned in other posts, your car is amazing! First time seeing under the hood and the tanks and strut tower look. Great. I'm ingot/black so I'm thinking about the black tanks and powder coating the strut tower black. You are killing me with your ride. I wanna pull the stripes and paint them on, oh and the alcoas...aaaargh. Looks so good.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
CC as I've mentioned in other posts, your car is amazing! First time seeing under the hood and the tanks and strut tower look. Great. I'm ingot/black so I'm thinking about the black tanks and powder coating the strut tower black. You are killing me with your ride. I wanna pull the stripes and paint them on, oh and the alcoas...aaaargh. Looks so good.

Thanks again Johnny! The under hood is gonna look way different in about a month. Thats a pretty old pic. LOTS of polished pieces, big & small.
The black theme would look great with your color combo. And the stripes? With a good heat gun you can have them in the trash in about 2 hours, then just hunt down a really really good painter! It only hurts for a little bit!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Heck, I was just gigging you. Your engine is cleaner than most when it's dirty! I'd not worry.
I refused to pay for Shelby's caps so I had a set custom made. They are actually covers that fit over the OEM caps, works great. They need some more polishing to match the tanks but at least their original.
It's all good, my friend. I second Johnny's comments - your paint job and stripes are AWESOME. I'm with you on the price of billet caps. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

I'm ingot/black so I'm thinking about the black tanks and powder coating the strut tower black.
I'm a bit biased, Johnny, but I think black tanks and a black strut tower brace would look great! :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread