Retrofitting '13/'14 GT500 Bilstein Damp-Tronic's to any '07-'12 GT500

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
insane detail!

only thing I see that could improve, why not have stainless brake lines in there?
Nah...if I were to change the lines I'd simply add the Boss 302 "upgrade" hoses from FRPP. But who knows what the future may hold.;-)

Looks awesome. I'd imagine to replicate this it would be a couple thousand?

I'm a little more than half that and that includes struts/mounts, shocks, springs, wiring/computer from Bilstein. Aside from the damaged strut I got, the take-off dampers I bought on eBay were actually a pretty good deal. Even the replacement I got from Tousley was reasonable. I do all my own labor and I can say that this upgrade required quite a bit of work. I'm not complaining, as I mentioned, there were quite a few people that helped me to knock down each and every roadblock. All of which shouldn't exist, as FRPP should have bagged this one long ago.:sleeping:

I got a little more done today. Among other things, I needed to direct my attention towards fabricating and placing a harness for each shock out back as well as assemble a connector for them. If you've been following this thread through I've touched on it before. The shock connectors don't technically exist from a Ford parts perspective, and Bilstein doesn't normally sell Ford pigtails. This is where Ludger and Marco helped me out - bigtime. I got the pieces to assemble a connector that would fit down inside the shock rod while engaging the pins inside.

I started by clipping off the Bilstein aftermarket harness connector end that runs out back.

IMG_2128.jpg

"Tinned" the ends...

IMG_2131z.jpg

I then pushed the ends through the connector and crimped on the tiny pins. I heated the pins up with a solder gun and sucked a drop or two of solder through the connection.

IMG_2132z.jpg

I then pulled the pins back into the harness connector...

IMG_2135z.jpg

Note how the pins look a little crooked...

IMG_2136z.jpg

You then push a red shunt, a "wedge" of sorts that locks everything into place...

IMG_2137z.jpg

There you have it. A sealed connector that snaps in place atop the SVT Track Package shock!

IMG_2138z.jpg

An aside, old bastardcism has made it difficult for me to see anything up close anymore. So when I wanted to verify that the finished assembled pigtails would fit into the shock properly, I wanted to check on pin orientation so that I didn't inadvertently push the connector down and bend or damage a pin(s). I use my Milwaukee flexible camera quite a bit. It allowed me the luxury of checking everything from a standing position outside the car as opposed to a seriously contorted fetal mess. If you ever find one cheap, buy it!

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

So I ran the right rear and left rear lines back, just above the rocker, under the carpet and zip tied them next to an existing harness.

IMG_2156z.jpg

I highlighted in red the routing I followed. The rear driver side is slipped in next to the floor (the carpet has a molded radius that allows the harness to fit behind/underneath it without being compressed between it and the floorpan/bulkhead).

IMG_2151z.jpg

IMG_2150z.jpg

A short run of each harness runs under the interior plastic panel adjacent to the quarter panels and then exits and runs next to an existing harness.

IMG_2146z.jpg

IMG_2152z.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

Phew. I then connected the underhood battery side lead as well as the ignition source I tapped into on the fuse panel inside the car, gave everything a quick once over, and slipped behind the wheel with my hand on the key. I actually took a breath just before turning it.

IMG_2158zz.jpg

:coolman:

Clicking on the button one more time turns the little blue light off (but the ring remains illuminated as long as the ignition is on). That should mean that the dampers are switching between modes. I'll verify that soon as well as do my own alignment.

Almost there.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
very nice, I still think stainless lines would really continue the badassery of the on going build, :beer:

betiwin

Established Member
So are these parts purchasable then? I'm fine with doing the work myself but seems a lot of these connectors and modules are not the easiest to get ahold of.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
So are these parts purchasable then? I'm fine with doing the work myself but seems a lot of these connectors and modules are not the easiest to get ahold of.

Almost all parts are available. The biggest stumbling block being the "development" control module and the connectors at the rear (shocks).

If you were truly contemplating the swap, I could always ask if a kit could be put together that would include those two items as well as the harnesses, etc. I'm going to speak with some people from Bilstein in a month or so at SEMA in Vegas and I can probably give you a better idea then if that's ok.

I did spend some time yesterday trying to finish this one up but I had a couple of other "parts" that needed attention so I didn't get that far. I yanked the factory Ford nav system as it was constantly cycling and looking for a CD when the vehicle was off and the doors were shut. No more dead batteries for me - I swapped the stock Shaker500 unit back in. I also installed a set of the solid aluminum shifter bushings that Van is now carrying.

Anyway, I did install the button for the Bilstein system. It may prove to be a little too bright for the location I put it in but I can always change that if I want. Where I put it there was no drilling required. I simply removed the 12v power plug from the bezel that surrounds the radio and put it there. All I had to come up with was the right sized washer to retain it on the back side.

IMG_2171zz.jpg

IMG_2169zz.jpg

IMG_2165zz.jpg

IMG_2168zz.jpg

IMG_2164zz.jpg

IMG_2162zz.jpg

betiwin

Established Member
Thanks TOB. Yes keep me in the loop (in sure there are many others) of any kit that may be put together. As always bravo on another crazy modification.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You're in the loop and I promise to do my best to get as far as I can to make this a reality for anyone else that wants to do it as well.

As far as this mod goes, I hope to finally be driving the car tomorrow. Console and dash are back in place so now the only indication that anything has been done is the small Bilstein button...

IMG_2173zz.jpg

IMG_2179zz.jpg

IMG_2180zz.jpg

IMG_2184zz.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Indeed it does. :)

I finally got the vehicle down a few hours ago, after giving everything a quick once over. I'll check the ride height after a few days. I can tell its high and it'll be interesting to see how much it settles. The front is a little higher than it was with the 'seasoned' KR springs but the back is a bit lower than the KR's. I'd say the 5300-L's are pretty horizontal as opposed to the rake of the KR pieces.

_RideheightimmediatelyaftercompletingBilsteinDamptronicinstall1111.jpg

I spent about an hour in the car. First off - the Bilstein's are working as they should and I am able to switch back and forth between comfort and sport mode by simply depressing the illuminated button. PHEW!!

I tried to focus all my attention into what was going on with the car in each mode. Comfort mode, to me, seems very much like the KR ride before it. Firm but in no way bone jarring. Not overly damped or sprung but rather just right. Sport mode, on the other hand, is definitely stiffer, and is just as I expected.

When I hit a stretch of expansion joints I'd be sport mode and could tell immediately. Switching to comfort brought instant change to a "milder" ride. All I can say at this point is that the suspension is delivering exactly what I was hoping for. The feeling of satisfaction is very high with this one. I'll report back with some ride height numbers in a few days.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hehe. Thanks for the chuckle. I know you followed this one and I know it took a long time to finish! What makes me happy is that I now have something to bring to the table to Bilstein and FRPP. The two need to talk to one another. I can forsee these parts being packaged for someone that has a car that shares daily driving and open tracking duties. I can also see a combination that is more drag oriented. Better yet, the two need to offer a B16 iRC kit for either drag/road course as well. The smart phone integration is waay cool!

I'm preparing myself for the "well, the high end Bilstein's are better matched demographically to the BMW/Mercedes/Porsche/Audi crowd"....poppycock. A huge mark is being missed and Bilstein could grab this market today if they simply put forth the effort to address what Mustang GT/GT500 owners are looking for in a performance suspension. That needs to be changed.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
:pepper:

It's all in the details. I'd agree there's a market out there for such a set up.

Tight Lines

Established Member
Awesome job, looks professional, than again after reading many of your posts, I think you may be a professional.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Awesome job, looks professional, than again after reading many of your posts, I think you may be a professional.

Thanks for the kind words. These projects are all on my own dime and my own time. I'm just thankful that at this point in my life to still enjoy spinning wrenches as much as I do researching whatever lies before me. The satisfaction you get from a successful project like this one is immeasurable.

I Hope this can be done for 1500~1800.

I exchanged emails with someone at ThyssenKrupp Bilstein in Ohio earlier this morning. If we can sit down for a bit in Vegas I'll see what we can come up with. Bilstein continues to impress in this regard.

germeezy1

Established Member
I recently bought a car with two mode Bilsteins so I know just how excellent the system is. With that being said my hat is off to you because of your efforts in bringing this to completion.

TurboX2

Established Member
Question for the electronics gurus in the thread... For those who may want to simpler electronic solution: since we need more voltage to engage the solenoid than to hold it, instead of a pushbutton couldn't a variable resistance rotary switch be used? Rotate to higher voltage to engage, then back for hold. Possible simple solution, no? Take it easy on me if I'm way off base... :burnout:

gallopingford

Hi, my name is Cam
Established Member
Excellent thread. I'm almost tempted to install the electronic dampeners, taken off from my 13, and do this on my 09. A lot of work, but the tech factor is pretty sweet!

Last edited:

NELCO

Established Member
Tob, You definitely are an SVT GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nelco :beer::beer::banana:

Users who are viewing this thread