Rocker Arm jumped off, need some help.

keith89

Established Member
I'm thinking of just getting the heads ported and getting a good valve job with some, bronze guides and oversized seats. I did some research and found some negative reviews from Modular Head Shop so i won't be using him, but i heard nothing but good things from MPR in Boynton Beach, FL. I just gotta wait for my brother to get his garage cleaned up so we can start with the tear down.

I actually had mine cleaned up by modular head shop. The heads looked nearly brand new when I got them back. They valves were lapped in and head fully assembled minus the Ford GT cams I removed before shipping.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Any luck finding a new complete head..

I had mine fixed..70k later I had more issues with cracks..

im about 200k on new head now..no cooling mod..

cj428mach

Established Member
Actually, I probably won't get the heads ported. I'm not doing cams or upgrading the blower anytime soon so why bother, right? I'll just focus on getting a surface and a good valve job with upgraded springs, retainers, bronze guides, and oversized seats.

If your guides are good I'd try to keep the factory ones. They're made for longevity compared to the bronze ones. This is one of the reasons my heads went to L&M out of Pennsylvania, as Michael knew for a street car the OEM guides are better than bronze.

IllCobra

Established Member
I actually had mine cleaned up by modular head shop. The heads looked nearly brand new when I got them back. They valves were lapped in and head fully assembled minus the Ford GT cams I removed before shipping.

Well, the negative post i saw from modular head shop was from a few years ago, they must of got their stuff together. I think i still might use MPR since they're the same distance as MHS and with a better rep.

IllCobra

Established Member
Any luck finding a new complete head..

I had mine fixed..70k later I had more issues with cracks..

im about 200k on new head now..no cooling mod..

I don't think i need new heads, though it would be sweet to own 01/05 heads and have that heating problem taken care of. I'll be sure order the cooling mod while it's down getting the valves done.

Last edited:

IllCobra

Established Member
If your guides are good I'd try to keep the factory ones. They're made for longevity compared to the bronze ones. This is one of the reasons my heads went to L&M out of Pennsylvania, as Michael knew for a street car the OEM guides are better than bronze.

Very good point. I'll probably stay away from the bronze guides, but i thought i read posts of people saying that stock 03/04 cobra guides were not that great and should be upgraded when able...

Since i'm not going to port my heads, am i in the right place in just getting a surface and a good valve job with upgraded springs, retainers, guides, and oversized seats? Is there anything else i should consider upgrading while it's apart? Keep in mind i'm not upgrading my blower anytime soon, just a bolt-on and ported 03 cobra that i drive on the weekends. Let me know.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I don't think i need new heads, though it would be sweet to own 01/05 heads and have that heating problem taken care of. I'll be sure order the cooling mod while it's down getting the valves done.

Guess untill head is off and checked it's hard to say if head is still worth fixing.

Than how bad piston is.

On mine cylinder 6 has been hammered 2 times

4 thread head took forward exhaust Valve
Ford installed new 9thread.
Rear exhaust valve dropped on 9thread

Piston has 2 half moon hash marks now and is still in car.

I read it isn't good to let engine sit with antifreeze in cylinder . .if it cracked far enough from seat

It's hard with new format to search old pics of heads that have done this...losing sticks above doesn't help you see what to expect and prepare for .

cj428mach

Established Member
The head tick on these cars is a loose seat problem not a guide problem as you and many others have proven.

My car developed the tick at 8500 miles. I had the guides replaced and a valve job. The shop said all the original guides looked good but we replaced them anyways. 300 miles later the tick was back because the problem is the seats. I believe while grinding the seats they pressed the original seats tight enough it didn't tick on immediate start up.

keith89

Established Member
The head tick on these cars is a loose seat problem not a guide problem as you and many others have proven.

My car developed the tick at 8500 miles. I had the guides replaced and a valve job. The shop said all the original guides looked good but we replaced them anyways. 300 miles later the tick was back because the problem is the seats. I believe while grinding the seats they pressed the original seats tight enough it didn't tick on immediate start up.

Yep, mine had a light tick before I had the heads done. Now, I only hear the injectors and it's a lot quieter. These cobras and a few other 4V ford cars from this era were known to have a slightly looser interference fit for valve seats.

IllCobra

Established Member
Guess untill head is off and checked it's hard to say if head is still worth fixing.

Than how bad piston is.

On mine cylinder 6 has been hammered 2 times

4 thread head took forward exhaust Valve
Ford installed new 9thread.
Rear exhaust valve dropped on 9thread

Piston has 2 half moon hash marks now and is still in car.

I read it isn't good to let engine sit with antifreeze in cylinder . .if it cracked far enough from seat

It's hard with new format to search old pics of heads that have done this...losing sticks above doesn't help you see what to expect and prepare for .

I'm hoping the heads are okay so i don't have to replace them, but like you said, i won't know until i open it up.

IllCobra

Established Member

It'll be a bonus if i don't have to replace the guides then. Did you go with oversized seats for your replacement? The weird part is that mine never made a ticking noise before the rocker arm came off.... it sounded 100% healthy with no smoke coming out of the exhaust

cj428mach

Established Member
The first head repair was done by a local shop. After the head began to tick a second time I went with a new ford 05 cylinder head plus head cooling mod. L&M rebuilt my spare 04 passenger side cylinder head, and yes I believe they use oversized seats.

IllCobra

Established Member
So the driver side head is the newer 05 version and your passenger side is an 04 version? What did the shop charge you for the work, if you don't mind me asking. PM me if you want

hotcobra03

Established Member
[QUOTE. IllCobra, post: 15488623, member: 77366"]So the driver side head is the newer 05 version and your passenger side is an 04 version? What did the shop charge you for the work, if you don't mind me asking. PM me if you want[/QUOTE]
For me passenger is original 4 thread no issues 395k.

my 1 vavle seat and welding ,3 angle valve cut, resurfacing head was 550 area..new head was 1100 complete ready to bolt and go..

IllCobra

Established Member

my 1 vavle seat and welding ,3 angle valve cut, resurfacing head was 550 area..new head was 1100 complete ready to bolt and go..[/QUOTE]

395k miles!!! DAMN!! Stock?
Link to where you bought your head...

cj428mach

Established Member
So the driver side head is the newer 05 version and your passenger side is an 04 version? What did the shop charge you for the work, if you don't mind me asking. PM me if you want

Yes thats correct. The passenger side 05 revised head wasn't available anymore last year when I wanted to do the swap. The drivers side head was but it may not be available anymore as Ford is phasing out parts for these motors.

I had some other stuff packaged in with the final price so I can't really give you an exact price. Just call Michael and talk to him, he's a very straight shooter.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member

my 1 vavle seat and welding ,3 angle valve cut, resurfacing head was 550 area..new head was 1100 complete ready to bolt and go..

395k miles!!! DAMN!! Stock?
Link to where you bought your head...[/QUOTE]
I was lucky ..ford racing performance parts.

Ive gotten alot of parts from them that were special to cobra..

head
Electric water pump
trans mount
pinion flange
carbon fiber clutch pack
coil set

the prices were Insanely low even thru ford

IllCobra

Established Member
Well, i found some 2005 revised DC heads from someone on craigslist. Going to go check them out tomorrow. Found them cheap, too, so i am hoping they check out. The guys is including everything: cams, rocker arms, etc. I'm going to take them to a shop and them checked out, resurfaced, cleaned, and see if any parts need replacing.
I got a question, i purchased the gen 2 cooling mod, would it be an overkill to install on the revised heads? Or should i still go ahead and install it?

IllCobra

Established Member
20170115_165037.jpg
20170115_165045.jpg
20170115_165200.jpg

They are pretty dirty, but no cracks. Taking them to a shop sometime this week to get them cleaned up and ready to install.

Users who are viewing this thread