Rocker Arm jumped off, need some help.

Blackedout

Established Member
Had the front passenger cylinder drop an exhaust valve seat on mine.... started the car drove 10 miles to fill up on E85, went to start and running on 7 cylinders

IllCobra

Established Member
I took the heads to the MPR today and noticed something strange. Hope someone has an answer for me. Why would the passenger side head still have the freeze plug on it? Tim at MPR said that it is probably because they are off a Lincoln aviator, but this leaves me with a couple more questions. 1) Do aviators not have an exit for the coolant on their heads?? 2) The guy i bought the heads from said they were pulled off an 03 cobra. Assuming he didn't lie to me and they were actually off an 03 cobra, is there anyway for a cobra to actually function with no coolant exit from either the passenger or driver side heads??

IllCobra

Established Member
Those heads never came on a Cobra. They came from the factory on the Aviator.

Cant comment on the freeze plug...rear? Why wouldn't it be there unless someone did the head cooling mod?

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

Well, I'm guessing the guy i bought them from had upgraded to the revised heads at a later time.

That's what i'm wondering. Why doesn't the passenger side head have a hole for the coolant to exit, instead it has the plug... i just dont get it

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't believe the aviator heads had the heater tube out of the rear of thr passenger side head. When I replaced my pass side head with the 04 head it came off an aviator and I believe had the rear freeze plug in place.

If the head has the right casting number who cares what it came off of. L&M said the aviator head I sent to them was one of the nicest cobra heads they'd seen. I was told the head had 90k miles on it from the seller, I assume the fact it had no boost ran through it is what made it such a "nice" head.

IllCobra

Established Member
I don't believe the aviator heads had the heater tube out of the rear of thr passenger side head. When I replaced my pass side head with the 04 head it came off an aviator and I believe had the rear freeze plug in place.

If the head has the right casting number who cares what it came off of. L&M said the aviator head I sent to them was one of the nicest cobra heads they'd seen. I was told the head had 90k miles on it from the seller, I assume the fact it had no boost ran through it is what made it such a "nice" head.

Yeah, i figured it was better to have them off an suv than a cobra for the reason you mentioned.
Question for you CJ, did you degree your cams when you switched your heads? I've been reading all about degreeing cams, because i assume i'll need to degree them after i get my new heads back, but that crap is confusing the heck out of me.... what route did you take?
Oh, and for a second i thought i had your SB cobra, but i checked my build # and mine is 3488

cj428mach

Established Member
Yeah, i figured it was better to have them off an suv than a cobra for the reason you mentioned.
Question for you CJ, did you degree your cams when you switched your heads? I've been reading all about degreeing cams, because i assume i'll need to degree them after i get my new heads back, but that crap is confusing the heck out of me.... what route did you take?
Oh, and for a second i thought i had your SB cobra, but i checked my build # and mine is 3488

Nope I just went dot to dot if you will even then though its actually dot to colored chain link instead. It won't be any different than the way your cobra would have come from the factory. Ford never degree'd them.

I miss my old SB car, I heard the guy that bought it sold it already so I have no idea where its at now.

IllCobra

Established Member
Nope I just went dot to dot if you will even then though its actually dot to colored chain link instead. It won't be any different than the way your cobra would have come from the factory. Ford never degree'd them.

I miss my old SB car, I heard the guy that bought it sold it already so I have no idea where its at now.

That's good to know. For some reason i thought for sure i was going to need to degree them. I guess because most, if not all, the threads i read were on guys degreeing cams on built motors where they're changing/upgrading lots of parts. If it wasn't so freaking confusing, i would degree them in order to squeeze every little bit of hp out of the motor.
God, i just wanna drive the damn car! Drove it a few hundred miles and this happened. The wait is killing me!

Users who are viewing this thread