State Patrol Top Speed

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
There's a company here in NE FL that some agencies have used to fix some of the P71's issues. They install a premium aluminum driveshaft & recalibrate the PCM. They also install a pan under the rear bumper to smooth the airflow & get rid of the high pressure area underneath the back of the car.. Basic stuff really. Stuff Ford should have done.
They also prepped all of the FHP Mauraders before they went into service.
Still, the fastest car FHP has ever operated in regular duty was the 2002 B4C Camaros.
They were stock except for the LE gear. The best thing they had going for them was the intimidation factor.
Most people who seem to run from a traffic stop seem to have a regular car or truck, & not a performance car. Simply because there are alot more 'regular cars' out there. When most folks saw on of those pulling onto the road behind them, they didn't even think about trying to make a run for it.
I honestly think that all the rumors about 200mph pursuit vehichles are good for police, since the average knucklehead will be even less inclined to make a run for it, even from a CVPI.

Last edited:

badboysbailagnt

Established Member
i heard a police call one time of a state trooper in a charger saying he topped out at 150 and the other guy was in the 170's 180's but they didint know what kind of car they were chasing

jshen

Established Member
JoeAshville;

Don't know what you heard...but I can tell you that IF that is an active GSP car and not one sold at auction, it will not, can not be modified!. This is government property and not the personal property of an officer-it is a crime in GA to interfere with such...[modifying could come under this]. All govt. cars must run on 87 octane gas. All are subject to inspection.

Last edited:

19984V

Established Member
Just my opinion (reffering to the charger keeping up the busa)

A car as heavy as a charger would need 900-1000 rwhp imo to keep up with a bike like a busa. There are some small 600 bikes here that outrun turbo cobras.

And 900-1000 rwhp would take a LOT of gas. I just dont see an officer driving such a non-econimical car..

03trubluGT

Established Member
Newer Crown Vic, Slick Top = 130 - 135mph
Impala, Slick Top = 125 - 130mph
Charger V6, Slick Top = 130 - 140mph
Charger Hemi, Slick Top = 140 - 150mph

Anybody that claims more, is doing it downhill, on a super straight road, with a tail wind.

My observations:

2008 and up Crown Vic - 138
V6 Charger - 128

92-95 Chevy Caprice w/ LT1 - I don't know, I let off the gas at 146. Those were the fastest patrol cars I've ever driven. I would let you know about the Magnum Chargers, but my department thinks I need to go to a special driving school to be able to operate them. :rollseyes

SVTFeltonPA

Established Member
police-mustang3-jpg_100175834_m.gif

police-mustang6-jpg_100175837_m.gif

police-mustang7-jpg_100175838_m.gif

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
There's a company here in NE FL that some agencies have used to fix some of the P71's issues. They install a premium aluminum driveshaft & recalibrate the PCM. They also install a pan under the rear bumper to smooth the airflow & get rid of the high pressure area underneath the back of the car.. Basic stuff really. Stuff Ford should have done.
They also prepped all of the FHP Mauraders before they went into service.

Dennis reinhart of reinhart automotive....

I'm really surprised that none of those FHP marauders exploded from his shitty half assed tunes :rollseyes

And the proguard (that rear pan you are talking about) is made out of friggin garbage can plastic, its flimsy as crap and doesnt do anything worth a damn... I've had my car over 100 multiple times in my vacations to mexico and i have NEVER had my rear bumper "balloon and warp" like he said they do... never...

Also, ford did offer an aluminum driveshaft on 99-00 crown victorias, they came standard with 3.55 gears and an alcoa aluminum metal matrix driveshaft. Why they discontinued it, I dont know....

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Alot of departments have specialized cars, that are usually seized.

I read an article about a year ago, forgot where, but the department had a modd'ed Terminator Cobra, that even with the emissions stuff re-installed, still put out 560'ish whp. Was taken from someone who street raced and got caught like 4-5 times.

Yeah, I remember there was a state trooper LS1 Camaro that was dropped off at a Pontiac dealership my buddy used to work at. It had ported heads, GM hot cam, and nitrous! It would have surprised the hell out of you, he had full length headers, but with cats and the factory catback. It sounded like a stock Camaro.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Since when is a Magnum SRT8 running nitrous equal to a police package car?

First, State Police cars are not going to be SRT8's unless they've been seized. Second, they won't be running nitrous on the street in a pursuit vehicle. Thus again, the picture has no bearing on this dead thread.

:nono:

that is not true, there are several state troopers rolling the SRT8 Charger...

been there done that got the T shirt

..just saying

N A Rush

Established Member
don't be so sure, check around Kingsland, they may have had a Viper for police, it could have been a DARE car

The Camden County Sherriff's Department did indeed have a Dodge Viper. It was a DARE care with a Mysti type paint job. It was also used for traffic stops on I-95 just to increase its visiblity several years ago.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Let see if I can save this thread since it was brought back from the dead!!!

Enjoy!

Here's a video of a Terminator being used as a patrol vehicle. Female suspect pulled over for 51 in a 25, broken windshield, tail light out, and no seat-belt. Suspect gives officer plenty of grief, and eventually gets tased!

YouTube- Police Taser a Woman for traffic ticket

U.M.

I'd be curious to know what the outcome of that issue was. She definitely had an attitude and was definitely being an asshole, but the tasing seemed a little quick. Almost more kind of punitive then protective of the officer. He even said after the fact that he said get out of the car three times...just be interested in knowing how that played out.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
reading this thread in it's entierty made me think about a speech that a Washington State trooper gave to my command (when I was stationed on the USS Momsen out of Everett WA) talking about not being able to outrun his 01 Camaro SS since he can do 150 mph in 5th gear and still has 6th gear left to go faster.. (didn't have the heart to tell him that 6th gear is a .50 double OD and no way in hell will it be the fastest gear in the car)

Users who are viewing this thread