State Patrol Top Speed

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Pretty good list... I believe the Michigan test results are similar to that (edit: nope I was wrong...Impala made it to 139mph not into the 140s)

MSP - Police Vehicle Evaluation

Great Link

Cliff Notes:
3.27 CV = 129
3.55 CV = 120
Impala = 139
Charger 5.7 = 146
Charger 3.5 = 137
Tahoe 2wd = 133>>>>>wow

I think it'll be pretty tough to get more valid results than this test

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Great Link

Cliff Notes:
3.27 CV = 129
3.55 CV = 120
Impala = 139
Charger 5.7 = 146
Charger 3.5 = 137
Tahoe 2wd = 133>>>>>wow

I think it'll be pretty tough to get more valid results than this test

My Tahoe is by far my fave patrol unit. Lotsa room, good power, and handles like a car (lowered suspension).

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Ive seen pictures of an 03 Cobra cop car located in NC before. I also know of a corvette cruiser located here in WV due to a program called " beat the heat" It's cops who build their own cruisers, patrol with them, then take them to the track on the weekend for people who want to race cops.

There was a thread here with photos of that car.

CWJameson

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Newer Crown Vic, Slick Top = 130 - 135mph
Impala, Slick Top = 125 - 130mph
Charger V6, Slick Top = 130 - 140mph
Charger Hemi, Slick Top = 140 - 150mph

Anybody that claims more, is doing it downhill, on a super straight road, with a tail wind.

This is accurate

and i tell you its not about strait line acceleration when your in pursuit.

the crown victory is overall the best pursuit vehicle built today.

It can run over curbs at 50-60 MPH and not seriously damage the vehicle or disable it from chasing

A problem that the Dodges Charger/Magnum ect would have cause of there half shafts
and the Impalas are laughable.

The big thing everyone seems to be forgetting is in pursuit driving is people have to slow down for traffic/weather conditions
Turns in the road way ect..

You don't need something that has 600 RWHP to be formiditable in a pursuit.
you need something that can drive on almost any surface take large amounts of punishment. Sorta like Road racing + bumper cars :)

Hope this helps!

MistakenGenius

****** of the n00b
Established Member
In 99.5% of cop cars thats bs. But I know where I live in an effort to combat a lowering budget they would fit seized cars and personal cars with hidden lights and use them as unmarked cars. Actually saw someone pulled over by an '03 black Cobra, not sure if it was stock or what, but it scared the shit out of me just to see it.

Ruslow

Established Member
I would love to see what that SRT8 looked like.To even get close to the duece it would need to be on the ground.The fastest i have seen one go is 170 and alittle change and that was not a fun time staying on the road.I personal know the new zo6 will do the duece stock if you have the space and the balls to do it.But it is scary and a white knuckle ride for sure.The B4C carmeros did not have the speed limit and would do 175 pretty easy and still handle well.CV limited to 135 or less depending on the department.jAnd yes TX does as well as did have so bad a$$ pursuit vehicle as did CA.But they were used mainly on the hiways that needed them and not stationed just anywhere in the state.IE hiway going to Vegas from LA.Stan
PS I have 2 vehicles that can go faster than some of the twin engine planes and have passed helos trying to stay up with me.Kinda funny when you look out the window and are passing something flying!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
They can actually go 20,417.4 miles per hour..... Cant outrun a Motorola :)

huh? a Motorola's energy waves work at the speed of light, which, in a vacuum is 186282.39705 miles per second.. quite abit faster than your 20,417.4 mph.. (and is slower than the Apollo space craft have gone)..

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
Ive seen pictures of an 03 Cobra cop car located in NC before. I also know of a corvette cruiser located here in WV due to a program called " beat the heat" It's cops who build their own cruisers, patrol with them, then take them to the track on the weekend for people who want to race cops.

thats badass, i hope to live in an area like that on day.

for the 200mph or even close to it, look at all the lambos, vipers and ferraris that get tested claiming a certain top speed. they usually never get to that manufactors claimed top speed. you think a police charger/cruiser being more weighed down with equipment, and with a stock motor is gonna be able to do some crazy speed?

SlowLNF

Established Member
Most major cities have special police vehicles, most of which will never be used for patrolling. However be careful if you travel I-94 here in Michigan. They do in fact use a stock 05-09 Shelby GT500 for their highway patrol vehicle. A few departments around have LS1 Camaros and C6 Corvettes but I have never seen them actually being used.

TrevorR90

Banned
Most police forces do not go above 110mph, when they are in a pursuit and the suspect is going above 100mph they usually back down and let the chopper chase.. They don't reach those speeds because it is way too dangerous.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Most police forces do not go above 110mph, when they are in a pursuit and the suspect is going above 100mph they usually back down and let the chopper chase.. They don't reach those speeds because it is way too dangerous.

Yeah I've had to clean up a few times after a pursuit ends... we had a LODD many years ago during a pursuit but policy has changed for the better... now it's always the idiots running that we cut out of their cars.

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
I don't know about now, but i remember 2 real cop cars locally that were vettes. Real duty cop cars too, I seen them all the time.

It has been a few years

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
This topic is very interesting to me.

GA State Patrol Post 05 is close to Rocky Face, which is where my fiancée used to live before she moved closer to her work. I daily drive an antique Ford truck, nothing fast, just good on fuel. I was followed by a GSP unit down US41 southbound last fall on a warm evening from the post in Rocky Face to the on-ramp for exit 336 southbound. Because it was warm, I had the windows down. As I proceeded past the on-ramp on US41 southbound, the trooper went WOT with his GSP CVPI. I distinctly heard the whine of a supercharger.

I own a 2003 Cobra, so I definitely know what the sound of a supercharger sounds like. It made no noise until he went WOT, so I estimate it was at least a roots, perhaps a twin screw. His acceleration down the on-ramp proved visually that my ears did not deceive me.

However, being on the administrative side in public safety, I fully understand that police fleets are purchased and maintained similar to taxi fleets on a prescribed severe duty schedule. This is done for initial economy at purchase for multiple units, then ongoing fleet fuel economy as the units are in service. That being said, it would be hard for anyone except for the driver of that particular unit and his mechanic to know for sure if he had a supercharger or not.

Last edited:

best210

DSCN1842.jpg

just figgured I would throw a little log on the fire.

best210

My roommates and I got into a conversation and it ended up with how fast a state patrol car can go in a pursuit. The claim is that a State Patrol Dodge Magnum will reach 206mph and that it has actually been done and that a Charger will reach 195mph. I think there is not a chance those cars will reach anywhere near that speed. Maybe their "gear ratio" equals out too it, but i highly doubt i would ever see a GSP going over 150mph. So, is this actually possible or are they retarded?

Being the picture that I posted was from the texas mile he reached that speed in one mile leads me to belive that it is very possible that it would be able to reach 200mph. So somehow I do belive that this has a little bit to do with the OPs comments.

txyaloo

Established Member
Being the picture that I posted was from the texas mile he reached that speed in one mile leads me to belive that it is very possible that it would be able to reach 200mph. So somehow I do belive that this has a little bit to do with the OPs comments.

Since when is a Magnum SRT8 running nitrous equal to a police package car?

First, State Police cars are not going to be SRT8's unless they've been seized. Second, they won't be running nitrous on the street in a pursuit vehicle. Thus again, the picture has no bearing on this dead thread.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Let see if I can save this thread since it was brought back from the dead!!!

Enjoy!

Here's a video of a Terminator being used as a patrol vehicle. Female suspect pulled over for 51 in a 25, broken windshield, tail light out, and no seat-belt. Suspect gives officer plenty of grief, and eventually gets tased!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N6yP3nwVfw"]YouTube- Police Taser a Woman for traffic ticket[/nomedia]

U.M.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread