State Patrol Top Speed

MFE

Established Member
The Michigan State Police are well regarded in the po-po community for their vehicle testing. Here's 2010 model results:

Michigan State Police 2010 police pursuit car testing

The second test involves absolute top speed. The cars are given their head, and run out. With the 4.7 mile long Chrysler Chelsea proving ground track, there is plenty of safe space to accomplish this. Here again, for the fifth straight year, the Dodge HEMI® was the of the best. It ran up against the computer limiter at 146 miles an hour.

The California Highway Patrol bypassed one unit in 2009 for the real top end of the Charger. It hit close to 165 miles an hour, stock, with no other modifications! They let the computer limiter stand at 146 mph. The CHP works with the LA County Sheriff to test vehicles, by the way. LA police base their purchases, as do most West Coast departments, on the LA County testing, as most East Coast departments buy from the Michigan State Police testing.

Nothing else was close, although the two Impala sedans did hit 139 miles an hour each. The Tahoe stopped at 133 miles an hour. The CVPI with the 3.27 rear hit 127 miles an hour. The 3.55 geared CVPI was limited to 120 miles an hour; Ford claimed that it was set low for “vehicle harmonics” (I would have disqualified the unit on that basis). To me that indicates that Ford hasn’t figured out a way to prevent drive line “whip” under power and speed. Even after all the years to develop the drive train for better top end, Ford has let it ride. It is just as well. Ford has informed customers that the Ford Crown Victoria
Police Interceptor will CEASE production in August 2011.

For 2011, Chevrolet is introducing a new Caprice Police Package Vehicle. It is stunning. Allpar was given a close up ride and evaluation of a test unit. A separate article is being put together on the experience.

As a side note, the slowest of five tested motorcycles was quicker 0-60 than the fastest of the police cars, by a decent margin.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
^ I have no doubt a Dodge Charger would go 165 with a little tweaking. Like I said before I went 152, but the cut out was at 150 and yes I was headed downhill.
I also drove a 2001 SS camaro. The fastest I drove that was 145, but it got real squirrelly in high speed curves. The back end would start jumping around a little. I would take a charger any day!

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
I just called the tech to get the specs on what they do exactly. They install a custom ground cams from Comp Cams, Long tube headers, magnaflow exhaust minus cats, Custom cold air intake and a tune from a high end programmer (He asked I don't give specifics) that is government spec only. Not available to public. Then typical ignition and engine bolt on's.

As that is actually a breach of federal law, I'd be surprised. How much power would the cat delete be worth anyway?

bullitt 3572

Established Member
don't be so sure, check around Kingsland, they may have had a Viper for police, it could have been a DARE car

I live in Kingsland and the county does have a Black Viper used for DARE. They actually are trying to sell it, but as far as I know they never used it for patrol work.

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
Newer Crown Vic, Slick Top = 130 - 135mph
Impala, Slick Top = 125 - 130mph
Charger V6, Slick Top = 130 - 140mph
Charger Hemi, Slick Top = 140 - 150mph

Anybody that claims more, is doing it downhill, on a super straight road, with a tail wind.

This is a very accurate post. Good info here.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
although i know it is entriley impossible for a cop car to reach 200mph, its not the first time ive heard it... Theres a state trooper who cruises an SRT-8 Patrol car in the state of texas, one of my friends frat brothers who doesnt seem like a liar cruises a HYABUSA... thats got some mods to it, the guys thinks his bikes god and nothing not even a funny car can touch... however one day he had stated a few nights ago, he was cruising and he decided to jump on it.. he then stated that a charger police car was passing by and whipped a bitch and followed pursuit... He stated he thought it was just a normal patrol car and decided like most bikers to say adios especially being at night...he just took off... He stated he stared at his spedometer climb to 184mph and the police car was still on his ass (he said about 5 cars back) he then continued to reach 199mph and didnt quite break 200, but he "claims" the police officer cruiser was still on his ass and was still continuing to catch up... he then said the police officer ended the pursuit all of sudden...and flashed his brights twice in a "i got you" type acknowedglement...

He then said later that the charger police car was identified as a local state trooper cop car... And was in fact a srt-8 model. I myself have seen this srt-8 when i was up there because he cruises around in it...but doesnt look like a 170mph+ machine...

Now again i say this is what was said... i know the guy on the hyabusa was probley full of complete shit...but most bike riders will be damned if they ever admit a car kept up with them... but he seemed damn strong with his story, and claimed he was scared shitless and thought he was finished for sure....and had no idea what car it was until he noticed the big grill and the hood scoop... and days later noticed the cop car cruising around...

sometimes i wouldnt doubt the police cars have been modded by car gurus like us with...i doubt it, but it be cool to think

maybe the ol 5.0's doubt they could pull anything over 600hp out of those srt-8 cop cars...that can keep up with a busa... i would imagine you'd need at least 800+ rwhp in a heavy car like that...

matman03

Permanant brainfade
Established Member
I'm not sure what it's like in other states but in California state owned vehicles are exempt from any emissions testing or standards. You can call BS all you want. I saw it.

2k3gt

Established Member
Your buddy thinks a Magnum can go over 200mph?..

:lol::lol::lol:

JMoraru

Established Member
To the OP from Athens- I sure hope you're not a UGA student!

\
Why would that matter?

The busa story is similar to why they believe it so deep. Apparently they have heard stories of bikes doing 160+ and are unable to shake the cop. I just dont believe it though.

Scott222

Established Member
A magnum doin 200+ quit drinking the bong water pal, sorry, and a busa is govanerd at 186mph, i have an all out GP apriliia, and it tops out at 206 at the texas mile.

matman03

Permanant brainfade
Established Member
You guys aren't very bright. If you would re-read the original post I said it might be possible then I listed the modifications the CHP is doing to theirs.

MFE

Established Member
And I have some oceanfront property for sale in eastern Arizona.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
A magnum doin 200+ quit drinking the bong water pal, sorry, and a busa is govanerd at 186mph, i have an all out GP apriliia, and it tops out at 206 at the texas mile.

Who said anything about a magnum??? It was a CHARGER SRT-8... not that, that makes any of a difference..unless your refering to a charger as a SRT-8...

This guys back is modded compltley, with sprockets, and exhuast and the bikes been made longer, im sure the "GOVERN" was probley the first thing that went on it... im not sure...

Point is, this is was was said...im not saying i believe the story...it was just ANOTHER case of a claim from someone OTHER THAN A COP that a police office kept up with a vehicle exceeding 150+mph

JMoraru

Established Member

If you would have read the post, then you would know that I strongly believe it is absolute BS. I posted it on here to show my roommates how retarded they are for thinking it will.

jshen

Established Member
If you would have read the post, then you would know that I strongly believe it is absolute BS. I posted it on here to show my roommates how retarded they are for thinking it will.

Hence my statement about UGA students.....and bong water.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Newer Crown Vic, Slick Top = 130 - 135mph
Impala, Slick Top = 125 - 130mph
Charger V6, Slick Top = 130 - 140mph
Charger Hemi, Slick Top = 140 - 150mph

Anybody that claims more, is doing it downhill, on a super straight road, with a tail wind.

Pretty good list... I believe the Michigan test results are similar to that (edit: nope I was wrong...Impala made it to 139mph not into the 140s)

MSP - Police Vehicle Evaluation

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
The busa story is similar to why they believe it so deep. Apparently they have heard stories of bikes doing 160+ and are unable to shake the cop. I just dont believe it though.

FWIW even a GSXR1000 would find a B4C uncomfortably close after a stint at high speeds... I know someone that found that out the hard way.... he was topped out and when he let off and checked his mirrors he just decided to give up because the officer was still right behind him.

saleencobra

Established Member
You guys aren't very bright. If you would re-read the original post I said it might be possible then I listed the modifications the CHP is doing to theirs.

it is very hard to believe that the CHP of all people are modifying their patrol vehicles "toughest on emmision" plus like a few people have said your basicly listing illegal modifications according to federal and california state law. Plus even with those modifications theres no way in hell a charger is putting out 570 hp or w/e i promise.. unless its an srt8 then.. maybe....

lol unless he forgot to menton the vortech hahaha and thatd be even more bs

Users who are viewing this thread