The Complete How To Cut Your Stock Springs Thread

Jefe

Established Member
Nope. Why? Progressive vs Linear has been discussed at length. Ther'es a combined 500k+ miles from Cobras on here with cut springs and nothing DANGEROUS has ever happened

Anybody do this with welded in flsfc and have trouble getting the irs jacked back up to get the rear irs bolts back in? I've been having a helluva time with my car. It is so stiff that when I jack the irs assembly up it lifts the car off the rear jackstands and won't come within 3-4" of getting the irs bolts back in
With the upper bolts removed the rear portion of the IRS swings down. I just dropped mine again last weekend and only had to bring it down 3" to get the springs out. Make sure you are watching both upper mounts because it sounds like its not moving into place but rather catching one of the brackets and lifting the whole car. Get someone to jack the IRS up while 1 or 2 people watch both upper mounts. If that's not your problem then the car is not high enough in the air to begin with

I have flsfc's and the only problem I have is the rubber bushings or bracketing keeps the IRS from dropping. I thought gravity alone would do it but I had to get a crow bar in between the upper mount and the car to get it to drop.

What I found easiest is jacking the rear up as high as possible and get it on jack stands. Support the IRS in the middle with a rolling jack and disassemble(relieve pressure near the rotors to get the shock bolts out). After thats done use the rolling jack to relieve pressure on the upper IRS bolts. One side comes out no problem but the other was binding so a crow bar was all I needed to get it down.

Even with the binding problem I had, the car was up on stands and back on the ground in less than 45 mins

Last edited:

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Anybody do this with welded in flsfc and have trouble getting the irs jacked back up to get the rear irs bolts back in? I've been having a helluva time with my car. It is so stiff that when I jack the irs assembly up it lifts the car off the rear jackstands and won't come within 3-4" of getting the irs bolts back in

It sounds to me like the irs isn't sliding back into the brackets. Once it stops going upward, stop jacking and using a crowbar/prybar to pry between the bracket and the irs. It should pop up into the bracket. You might have to do it on both sides.

BSXrad

Rocking Your Socks Off
Established Member
It turned out to be the damn spring fell out of the perch, got that straightened out, then it was binding on the drivers side also. Got it all buttoned together last night. Just needed some patience is all.
Car won't move for a few weeks yet but I'm anxious to get the top of the motor together and see how she looks on the road again!

Thanks again guys

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
It turned out to be the damn spring fell out of the perch, got that straightened out, then it was binding on the drivers side also. Got it all buttoned together last night. Just needed some patience is all.
Car won't move for a few weeks yet but I'm anxious to get the top of the motor together and see how she looks on the road again!

Thanks again guys

I had my wife running the jack little by little and I ran back and forth to each side to make sure everything was staying in place.

beeradd

Established Member
When jacking everything back into place and installing the button head bolts I kept the center section supported with my large jack and used my small jack with a 2x4 propped ontop to individually align my bolt holes on each side. Worked great and everything went back together smoothly.

BSXrad

Rocking Your Socks Off
Established Member
A very good idea to go ahead and change the fuel filter while you do this too. Gives you very easy access while the irs is down

A.T

Established Member
This was stock height.

CIMG0067.jpg

After cutting a 1/2 coil only in the rear, settled to even height on all 4 corners.

CIMG0091.jpg

Last edited:

A.T

Established Member
^^^ That looks real nice. I'd like mine to about that. How much did you cut? 3/4 coil? What do you have for exhaust? I think my long tubes and prochamber would be scrapping a lot if I go any lower. I thought I would get it to this point before getting other springs or coil overs after the season. I was thinking about getting shortys or manifolds because I heard they are better for boost instead of the long tubes. I'm planing on getting it dynoed next month.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
1 full coil cut, and O/R Prochamber and Stingers with the factory logs. No scraping besides really large speed bumps, but it's pretty flat here.

Jefe

Established Member
1 coil is a lot to take off. I would cut more too if I were you but not too much if you have bumpy roads/dips and longtubes.

I gotta say, this is the highest Ive ever seen a Cobra. You sure those are stock coupe springs in there? Measure from the ground to the fender? Looks close to 30"

Capture-1442.jpg

A.T

Established Member
1 coil is a lot to take off. I would cut more too if I were you but not too much if you have bumpy roads/dips and longtubes.

I gotta say, this is the highest Ive ever seen a Cobra. You sure those are stock coupe springs in there? Measure from the ground to the fender? Looks close to 30"

I took a picture of the height with a measuring tape before cutting the rear springs. The front was around 26 3/4" and the rear was around 28 11/16". I was going to do the front to but had enough working on it and was going to put it away for the winter. And a 1/2 coil cut ended up being ok in the rear only. As far as I know they were the orginal springs. A friend of mine has a 10th anniversary and it sat about 1" lower in the rear than mine. His has 140k and mine has 94k. His appears to have the orginal springs. I also think mine sat higher than most, if not all. Probably was as high as the 2000 GT I had. Right after cutting the spring it sat 28" in the rear. Now settled it's at 27 1/2" all around. Not too proud of the height but it's better than the 2" lift in the rear.

clate

Established Member
anybody have any pictures of a vert that they cut springs on? looking at getting an inch or two drop. looks like a monster truck stock height

Users who are viewing this thread