The Complete How To Cut Your Stock Springs Thread

A.T

Established Member
*UPDATE*

Mine with the new polished wheels and now with the front cut 1/2 coil. Also with the Saleen spoiler. Probably getting a Mineral Gray trunklid with 03-04 spoiler.

CIMG0105.jpg

CIMG0106.jpg

CIMG0109.jpg

Last edited:

a2002stang

boss wheels

Just did my Wifes cobra with b4 and after pictures on 18" boss 338 wheels (I'm sure someone would ask if I didn't put it on here lol) One coil cut off each spring front and rear with both top and bottom pads still on the springs
7aa5d1e1.jpg

be1eed72.jpg
:dancenana:
Hey man I've been looking at these wheels but what offset are the front and rear I can't seem to find the correct offset for 99-04 mustangs

MysticRob

Established Member
*UPDATE*

Mine with the new polished wheels and now with the front cut 1/2 coil. Also with the Saleen spoiler. Probably getting a Mineral Gray trunklid with 03-04 spoiler.

Pic from your 7/22 post looks perfect. The back looks lower than it did on your 4/6 post though. Did you cut anymore in back, or did the new spoiler lower it a bit?

FROM 4/6 POST:
CIMG0091.jpg

FROM 7/22 POST:
CIMG0105.jpg

A.T

Established Member
Pic from your 7/22 post looks perfect. The back looks lower than it did on your 4/6 post though. Did you cut anymore in back, or did the new spoiler lower it a bit?

FROM 4/6 POST:
CIMG0091.jpg

FROM 7/22 POST:
CIMG0105.jpg

Thanks.
The 4/6 post was with the rear only cut 1/2 coil, also I think that post was just after cutting the rear without time to settle. Then the 7/22 was after doing the front a 1/2 coil. The plan this winter is to replace the bushings and cut another 1/4 coil. Then need to regrade the driveway to stop the scraping when turning left to go in the driveway.

MysticRob

Established Member
Thanks.
The 4/6 post was with the rear only cut 1/2 coil, also I think that post was just after cutting the rear without time to settle. Then the 7/22 was after doing the front a 1/2 coil. The plan this winter is to replace the bushings and cut another 1/4 coil. Then need to regrade the driveway to stop the scraping when turning left to go in the driveway.

Nice, so 1/2 a coil all the way around and the rear just settled some. Think I'll do mine the same way since most aftermarket spring kits make the cars too low for me to get in and out of my steeply angled driveway. I think that looks perfect! :beer:

A.T

Established Member
Nice, so 1/2 a coil all the way around and the rear just settled some. Think I'll do mine the same way since most aftermarket spring kits make the cars too low for me to get in and out of my steeply angled driveway. I think that looks perfect! :beer:

Cool, can't wait to see the pics posted when it's done.
The 7/22 post was after driving it for about 2 or 3 weeks without an alignment. Some driving helps it settle and so does the time. I like the 1/2 coil cut, but now I can do more since I got the VRS O/R X. I guy I met at one of the meets had I think H&R race springs and the front was higher than mine. The next time I saw him, he took the front iso's out.

SATANG

Fawking Ayee
Established Member
I have a 2004 GT with stock suspension and 18 inch rims with 35 sidewall tires. My gap in the front is 3 1/4 inch and rear is 2 3/4 inch.

What would you guys recommend on how much of the coils to cut? I dont want the car to be too low.

What is the best way to measure the amount of coil I decide to cut so that my cut is accurate on both sides?

Thanks

MysticRob

Established Member
I'm guessing you're not getting any answers because dealing with GT springs isn't quite the same as with the Terminator springs. I'd be hesitant to offer any help not knowing exactly how low a certain cut would drop a GT honestly.

I'm going the easy route and just using H&R Race Springs on my Mysti when the time comes.

SATANG

Fawking Ayee
Established Member
Yea I understand. Only reason I dont want to do after market springs is bc they are progressive and its going to make my ride a lot rougher. I am not a corner carver so Im just looking to get the lowered look without sacrificing much ride quality. I guess I will start with 3/4 coil and go from there. The roads by me unfortunately are crappy to say the least so I cant have it too low.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
GTs have progressive springs as well so taking anything off will hurt handling and ride quality while giving you the stance you want.

Find out the spring rate of the stock ones and find an aftermarket one that is as close to is as possible while giving you the drop you want. Look into Kenny Brown. On our Cobras they ride just as good as stock but really tighten up the feel. You will also need CC plates

Jefe

Established Member
Spring rates:

'99-04 Mustang GT OEM 450F 210R

I tried a couple different springs on my front end and didnt like how harsh they were so I went back to stock cut front springs with Kenny Brown rear springs.

SATANG

Fawking Ayee
Established Member
Yea I'll have to check that chart out. Im in the process of putting a x pipe on now so once that's done I'll look into the springs. Thanks for the help.

slowassgt

Established Member
I have a quick question once you cut the rear springs can anyone tell me where the pigtail should face after cutting? I'm doing an IRS swap in my gt and I have no reference on what way they should go on the bottom. Pics would be great. And if anyone has a pic of stock rear spring or an already cut spring so I can reference it to mine? They wher cut bit mine sits way to high with both Iso in. It's like 27 3/4. I dot know if they are not right in the bottom cup or what. Thanks

A.T

Established Member
It looks like it was a rough cut at the top of the spring. You do have the spring on the bench the way it goes in.
It's either stock or 1/4 cut.
This was mine. I don't remember if this was before or after cutting, but has almost the same amount as you.

CIMG0053.jpg

The previous page I mentioned that doing the rear only, I was at 27 1/2" on all 4 corners. What's springs are in the front? With all the coils cut 1/2 coil it is at 26 1/2 in the front and 27 1/2 in the rear with 315's.

This was from today

5.gif

Last edited:

slowassgt

Established Member
it has coilovers in the front. i really want to see a spring with a full coil cut so i can compare if anyone has a pic

A.T

Established Member
If you don't get a pic and your roads aren't too bad and you have the ground clearance, start with a little more than 1/2 coil. I really think it's close to 1/2 coil cut since the height is 1/4" higher than mine. It got lower by a little more than 1 1/4" after settling.

slowassgt

Established Member
These are the rear springs. Does anyone know from looking at it hoe many coils cut
81ADF572-727B-44A8-A138-0B34A4171856-3050-0000046636F8433F.gif

ok i found a pic of a spring cut half a coil and compare it to mine here is a pic. you can tell mine have been cut but if you look at the coils mine has half a coil more. where the springs diffent lenths from year to year?
img0721fi.gif

Users who are viewing this thread