Things from childhood you still resent your parents for?

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Back when I was little, like 5, 6, 7 years old or so, I always wanted those light up shoes. You guys remember them. You stomp on the ground and the lights on the sides flash and pulse and emit awesome and so forth. Every time we went shoe shopping, I always asked for those, and every time I asked, mom said no.

That said, I still want the damn light up shoes! They were sooooo cool back then and I still bring it up every now and again with my parents.

So does anything else have anything similar? Maybe it's something your parents did or didn't let you have or made you do?

MissGT23

Established Member
Ahhh I remember those. They were very expensive in Europe when they came out.
I wanted them soooo bad but dad would not buy them because we lived in war and there was not alot of money around. Since my dad was in the army, owner of the store gave them to me, he felt bad because his son died in war and left two little girls behind my age.

Other than that I don't think they ever said no.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
L.A. lights...lmao. I had like 3 pairs. suck it.

My parents wouldn't let me play hide and go seek at night in the cul-de-sac with the older kids.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
There were these jeans I wanted when I was little that my cousin had that I thought were totally awesome. They had zippers that went about 6 inches up the back of each leg with a bow at the top.

I also wanted a Barbie Jeep that my parents never bought for me.

mattel-fisher-price-barbie-jeep-power-wheels.jpg

Though I shouldn't complain too much about the Jeep, they bought me a dirt bike when I was 4. At the time, though, a Barbie Jeep >*

Last edited:

MissGT23

Established Member
There were these jeans I wanted when I was little that my cousin had that I thought were totally awesome. They had zippers that went about 6 inches up the back of each leg with a bow at the top.

I also wanted a Barbie Jeep that my parents never bought for me.

mattel-fisher-price-barbie-jeep-power-wheels.jpg

Though I shouldn't complain too much about the Jeep, they bought me a dirt bike when I was 4. At the time, though, a Barbie Jeep >*

LOL
I remember wanting Tommy Hilfiger jeans when I was 15. They were $100 and never got them :dw: But now to think about it, I don't think I would spend that much on one pair of jeans either.

oldmodman

Established Member
Nope, nothing.

When I grew up in the 50's and early 60's there wasn't as much crap for kids to want.
My dad did give me my first rifle at 7, so that was pretty cool. Didn't put out my eye or commit mass murder at school either.

I just wish they were both still alive.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
a bb gun, sling shot, or anything of that nature. everyone had one but me....turns out i became a Gunnersmate anyways lol.....

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
LOL
I remember wanting Tommy Hilfiger jeans when I was 15. They were $100 and never got them :dw: But now to think about it, I don't think I would spend that much on one pair of jeans either.

My mom never bought me any clothes that were in style when I was younger (even if they weren't expensive) but when I was 16 she bought me $650 bucks worth of Lucky brand jeans. Mostly because I need a 37" inseam and we just couldn't find them anywhere else. I still have and wear several pairs of those jeans and that was 9 years ago.

s_x_i

Established Member
I always resented the fact that I had to work instead of getting to play with my friends... Looking back, I'm glad I had to help out with stuff around the shop and the yard. I learned way more than what Mario ever taught me. I guess I don't resent my parents one bit.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I always resented the fact that I had to work instead of getting to play with my friends... Looking back, I'm glad I had to help out with stuff around the shop and the yard. I learned way more than what Mario ever taught me. I guess I don't resent my parents one bit.

My parents (specifically my mom) were slave drivers when I was growing up. While I am glad that they made me help out and do chores and work at their shop, my mom took away things from me that I'll never be able to get back. I missed many friend's birthday parties, homecoming in high school and even prom one year because she wanted me to clean our house and do the family's laundry.

I've let it go for the most part, but it made me decide that I will not treat my children the same way I was treated. They are going to help out and pull their weight but I'm also going to let them be kids while they are kids.

MissGT23

Established Member
My parents (specifically my mom) were slave drivers when I was growing up. While I am glad that they made me help out and do chores and work at their shop, my mom took away things from me that I'll never be able to get back. I missed many friend's birthday parties, homecoming in high school and even prom one year because she wanted me to clean our house and do the family's laundry.

I've let it go for the most part, but it made me decide that I will not treat my children the same way I was treated. They are going to help out and pull their weight but I'm also going to let them be kids while they are kids.

That sucks, missing out on all of those things. Like you said you can never get them back.

When we moved to the US, I don't think I really asked for a lot of stuff, but my parents would buy things me and my brother wanted. Not having anything, made us appreciate things more. We did miss out on alot of things as kids because of war, and I think living in war made my parents little bit softer because all 4 of us almost died.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
I was made to go to bed early most times like 8 or so and in the summer it would still be light out and I would be laying in bed hating them with a passion for it

also could never have a mini bike or a bb gun

Coiled03

Established Member
Seriously? There were some things my parents did that upset me at the time, but I did this thing they call growing up, and let it go.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
That sucks, missing out on all of those things. Like you said you can never get them back.

When we moved to the US, I don't think I really asked for a lot of stuff, but my parents would buy things me and my brother wanted. Not having anything, made us appreciate things more. We did miss out on alot of things as kids because of war, and I think living in war made my parents little bit softer because all 4 of us almost died.

Yeah, I can imagine after getting out of there they probably wanted to give you guys anything and everything that they could because they were so thankful to have you.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my parents refused to get cable or buy video games of any type :bored:. we finally got cable for a few months when i was in high school but my dad said all we did was watch Mtv (remember when they actually played music VIDEOS!) and canceled it :kaboom: also in high school i was finally able to scrounge up enough cash to buy a super nes and a used tv so i could play SFII at home :dancenana: i remember having a bunch of friends over and taking turns playing and yelling at each other. good times! lol. i wouldnt really call that resent though. i did resent them for switching me from school to school for various reasons after elementary school. that sucked :bored: things would have been much different and better had they not done that.

Dusten

Established Member
I dont resent my parents for the things i had and didnt have, but looking back at the way my mom raised me, she was insanely selfish and I can tell she didnt want to have a child when she did. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread