Things from childhood you still resent your parents for?

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I wish they had told me santa wasnt real. Do you know the sadness of being 25 and finding out he isnt real

awful knawful

Established Member
I always wanted to be in organized hockey when I was a kid. My parents really couldn't afford it (3 kids, house payment, 2 car payments). And there was no way my Dad would've woken up at 5am to bring me to practice. Other than that I had it pretty good. I was never a kid who really wanted much though. Never had/wanted Nintendo, Reboks etc.

ssssnake

Established Member
Nothing material I really lacked - I felt mistreated because I never got to ride the horsey ride at the grocery store. The only thing that really sucked was that my parents were never at any school function (dad worked shiftwork, and my mom was at home taking care of my handicapped sister).

Now, when I was a teenager, there was a lot I resented, but that's another story......

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
I always resented the fact that I had to work instead of getting to play with my friends... Looking back, I'm glad I had to help out with stuff around the shop and the yard. I learned way more than what Mario ever taught me. I guess I don't resent my parents one bit.

What?! You missed the fact that shrooms are good for you?

SVTContique

I wanted an N64 so bad when they came out, my parents never wanted us playing video games so i never got one. I had a classic gameboy and that was it. I always had so much fun playing golden eye or 1080 snowboarding when i went to my friends house.

I guess when you grow up with 3 other siblings you miss out on some of that kind of stuff.

MissGT23

Established Member
I wanted an N64 so bad when they came out, my parents never wanted us playing video games so i never got one. I had a classic gameboy and that was it. I always had so much fun playing golden eye or 1080 snowboarding when i went to my friends house.

I guess when you grow up with 3 other siblings you miss out on some of that kind of stuff.

:lol:

I have an older sibling, but poor brother, he always had to let things be my way. To this day. I wonder if he hated me.:-D

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member

damn, come to think about it now i had a buddy with a sega genisis...he had sonic when it first came out, i loved going over and playing. shitty thing was i sucked since i rarely played and we would take turns, so since i sucked i passed the controller pretty fast. :nonono:

boduke0220

Established Member
I love my Parents, they always treated me with fairness and respect so i did the same, if i wanted something they usually gave it to me but i always had to earn it one way or another. only thing i dont like is my dad in the 19 years ive been alive has never told me he loves me or hugged me. which sucks.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
I resented being stuck in private school for 6 years (pre-k through 1st and parts of 6th thorough 8th) It was small, so no sports teams or anything like that. Wanted to play in leagues like homecourt america, or move to a public school again to play sports, but my mom never wanted to pay for those things, but would rather shell out 500/mo for me to go to school, since public middle school was apparently too "thuggish" for me to attend... :bored:

Then I got to high school, managed to make the freshman and JV bball teams after alot of hard work but never versity at Warren, until I switched to football. But bball has always been my first love.

When I see my cousin playing (4 year starter for Tulsa university, backup PG for the New Jersey Nets) I wonder what could have been if I had been able to go to all of the camps and AAU teams that Ben did while we were growing up, but couldn't because my dad would never man up to my mom and try to find some common ground between her wishes and my desire to play sports. Man that burns me up until this day. I just see it as a teaching tool for my kids when I have them. \rant

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
My Dad traded our 4-wheeler for a couple of damn horses, then made us feed and take care of them. I hate horses to this day b/c of it.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I resented being stuck in private school for 6 years (pre-k through 1st and parts of 6th thorough 8th) It was small, so no sports teams or anything like that. Wanted to play in leagues like homecourt america, or move to a public school again to play sports, but my mom never wanted to pay for those things, but would rather shell out 500/mo for me to go to school, since public middle school was apparently too "thuggish" for me to attend... :bored:

Then I got to high school, managed to make the freshman and JV bball teams after alot of hard work but never versity at Warren, until I switched to football. But bball has always been my first love.

When I see my cousin playing (4 year starter for Tulsa university, backup PG for the New Jersey Nets) I wonder what could have been if I had been able to go to all of the camps and AAU teams that Ben did while we were growing up, but couldn't because my dad would never man up to my mom and try to find some common ground between her wishes and my desire to play sports. Man that burns me up until this day. I just see it as a teaching tool for my kids when I have them. \rant

you went to Warren? Roosevelt in the hizzle.... :rockon:

MissGT23

Established Member

I played soccer in highschool, parents always paid for everything that needed to be paid for, but they never were involved with it. Took me & picked me up from practices/games. I guess them paying for stuff did not really mean as much as it would to me if they were there watching me play.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
you went to Warren? Roosevelt in the hizzle.... :rockon:

Man, forget roosevelt... lol jk

I played soccer in highschool, parents always paid for everything that needed to be paid for, but they never were involved with it. Took me & picked me up from practices/games. I guess them paying for stuff did not really mean as much as it would to me if they were there watching me play.

I would have been fine with that, my dad worked full time as did my mom. She was a nurse, night ICU and NICU supervisor for a hospital, so her schedules were always 3-11p or 7a-7p 40-44 hours a week. That would have been in direct conflict with the majority of any extra-curricular activities I could have participated in.

But the problem was this: she didnt care for sports. Therefore, it was no, no, and no.

No logical reasoning behind it; I was an A student, never got into trouble. It was just her way or the highway and because she didnt see basketball or football as important, she said no, and restricted my dad from enrolling me in leagues, camps and programs.

Only now that my parents are divorced, is my youngest sibling playing HS sports; he's a 2 year Varsity football player going on 3, since he'll be a senior next year... I'm fine where I'm at, but man somedays I wish I could turn back the hands of time and have a second shot at playing sports at an earlier age...

pwrshft99

Established Member
My parents taught me to be nice and treat others how you want to be treated... just ain't how the world works.

My son and nephew aren't going to take shit from anybody...

MissGT23

Established Member
My parents taught me to be nice and treat others how you want to be treated... just ain't how the world works.

My son and nephew aren't going to take shit from anybody...

My parents thought me that too, but I realized being nice sucks :)

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Uh I pretty much got everything I wanted. I had to do chores like mow the lawn and do little things but then they'd let me get what I wanted.

I guess the only thing they didn't buy me was a new car when I turned 16 like all my friends. They told me at like 14 that I'd have to work for it. So at 15 I got a job and bought myself a car when I was 17.

Not really much to bitch about as it taught me a few things.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
There were two times in my life that my dad said one thing and then did the exact opposite, he basically lied to my face. Not on big issues, but they've always stuck with me. I've promised myself that even if I have to tell my son the worst news in the world, I'll tell it to him straight to his face and keep my word on anything I say.

Also, before my dad died, he gave my brother and I a piece of property in Wyoming, told my mom to keep it in her name to manage it until we were both old enough to take possession and pay the taxes on it. My mom sold it for a good chunk of change after he died and didn't even have the nerve to tell me until it was over and done with and she spent it on a new house. Needless to say she better hope Social Security holds out because she blew any help I will provide.

MissGT23

Established Member
There were two times in my life that my dad said one thing and then did the exact opposite, he basically lied to my face. Not on big issues, but they've always stuck with me. I've promised myself that even if I have to tell my son the worst news in the world, I'll tell it to him straight to his face and keep my word on anything I say.

Also, before my dad died, he gave my brother and I a piece of property in Wyoming, told my mom to keep it in her name to manage it until we were both old enough to take possession and pay the taxes on it. My mom sold it for a good chunk of change after he died and didn't even have the nerve to tell me until it was over and done with and she spent it on a new house. Needless to say she better hope Social Security holds out because she blew any help I will provide.

:eek:
WOW
That is really crappy of her. Sometimes I don't understand how people can do that to their own kids. Why have them if they will treat them bad.
Some people should really not have them, and I feel sorry for some kids that are stuck with some parents.

My parents own a house here, and back home, but they let me and my brother treat the house like our own, and tell us they are ours. When my parents were buying the house, I actually picked it and everything in it. From bedroom, to furniture. If I asked my parents to sign the house over to me now, they would. But I could never do that to my parents.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member

WOW. thats horrible. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread