Track Apps missing after SYNC software update

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What is updated? And if I do the update...it won't effect my Lund tune, right!

Scott

Just the actual SYNC system. Will not effect your tune.

How does a SYNC software update effect the instrument cluster gauges like Track Apps? I thought Sync updates only the nav's software?

Maybe you should try to disconnect the battery and reconnect it after a few minutes. See if that does anything.....

I don't think it does.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
What did the update change in the sync?

I can't believe that my 2013 f150 has better nav than my 2014 gt500. I wish there was a way to update the onscreen displays to the 2013 display.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Any idea if there's a way for those of us who prefer not to visit the local Ford dealer to do the update. (Can we download and install it ourselves...?)

Ford Support

Version: Gen1 - V4.1.3
DR3T-14D544-AD

In an effort to continually improve our SYNC® system, we are pleased to advise that you have a new software update available for immediate download. This new software will provide the following enhancements to your current SYNC® system:
- Bluetooth auto-connection improvement.
- Media player reliability.
- Voice Recognition improvements to recognize names entered with all CAPS.
- Voice Recognition enhancements that will decrease the chance of calling the wrong person.
- Reduce the delay when commanding AppLink App Selection.
- Add customer assistance phone number to Help prompts.

Please Read: This update may take up to 20 minutes to complete. About 1 to 3 minute after you begin the installation, you will hear an Installation Complete message. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR USB DRIVE OR TURN OFF YOUR VEHICLE. You must wait up to an additional 20 minutes until you receive a second Installation Complete message before removing your USB drive. During this interval, while the update is loading, SYNC® will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
When my 2013 GT500 was in for a service/oil change AND a SYNC software update, it appears the "Track Apps" option has literally disappeared from the menu in the "Gauge Mode" in the information display. :fm: Has anyone seen or heard of this happening? I'm at a loss to explain how this is even possible. Any thoughts? I know I can take it back to the dealership, but can that be avoided ?? Thanks for any input.

I just checked my menu after using a key that was setup for MyKey and this is what shows on the Menu screen.

MyKeyPanel_zpsc2cfa8ab.gif

When you insert the MyKey and turn it the ignition position, the screen will show "MyKey activated Drive Safely". Then in my case, "Speed limited to 80 MPH".

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I don't think the engine needs to be running during the update process, I think that the key needs to be turned to the Running position which is between the Start and Accessory positions.
I could be wrong, maybe someone who has done the upgrade can confirm.

Update: Engine has to be running for update.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't think the engine needs to be running during the update process, I think that the key needs to be turned to the Running position which is between the Start and Accessory positions. I updated mine last month and I don't remember having the engine running.
I could be wrong, maybe someone who has done the upgrade can confirm.

Mine was running. I forgot that you could get on the SYNC website and save the update to a flash drive then insert it in your car. Good thinking Snoopy!

But 80mph? Really? :shrug:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks, Snoopy. Been there, done that, but the site says there are no updates available for my car. (I find that hard to believe based on the number of newer cars requiring update, not to mention the periodic squirreliness mine exibits.)

Can anyone who's done the update confirm the SYNC version they're running?

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Mine was running. I forgot that you could get on the SYNC website and save the update to a flash drive then insert it in your car. Good thinking Snoopy!

But 80mph? Really? :shrug:

I setup the MyKey as a valet key. I use it when I take the car in for service, that way I won't have to see a high speed chase on television staring my car, the lot boy, and 20 CHP's.

Snoopy49

Established Member
More specific instructions for update installation.

Before you start
There are a few things you should do before starting step 1:

Familiarize yourself with your vehicle’s USB port, controls, and display
Note any saved Navigation points. You’ll need to re-enter them after the installation is complete
To perform the following steps, you must first complete the previous procedure: How to download software updates to a USB drive

Take the USB drive with the software updates to your vehicle. Turn on your vehicle, and then turn on the radio.
Make sure your car is in a well-ventilated area. Your vehicle will need to be turned on, with the engine running between 25 to 35 minutes. Make sure that your vehicle is not in Accessory mode.

Plug the USB drive in to your vehicle’s USB port.
Press AUX to select SYNC Line In. Press OK.
Press Menu. SYNC Media displays. Press OK.
Media Menu displays, and then Play Menu appears.
Press Seek until Select Source is highlighted. Press OK.
SYNC USB displays. Press OK.
USB Selected displays. Press OK.
Press Seek until System Settings is highlighted. Press OK.
Press Seek until Advanced is highlighted. Press OK.
Prompts display. Press Seek until Install Applications is highlighted. Press OK.
SYNC automatically detects the files on your USB drive, and then displays “Install Application?” Press OK to confirm.
SYNC displays “Installing Application” during the process. Do not remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle while this update is in progress. Shortly after installation has begun, SYNC says “Installation Complete.” Ignore this message. It refers to a specific phase of the installation, not the overall update process. While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device.

In another five to 10 minutes , SYNC says “Installation Complete.” SYNC may also say, "The system will now reboot. Please wait a few moments before using the system." The system then reboots, which takes several minutes. Do not attempt to use SYNC during this time. SYNC prompts “Installation Complete.” Press MENU to exit installation mode. It is now safe to remove your USB drive.
Once you have installed the SYNC software updates, you’ll need to pair your phone again. To complete the process, take the USB drive to your computer to report the successful installation.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Thanks, Snoopy. Been there, done that, but the site says there are no updates available for my car. (I find that hard to believe based on the number of newer cars requiring update, not to mention the periodic squirreliness mine exibits.)

Can anyone who's done the update confirm the SYNC version they're running?

Here is the version number from car without Nav.
DR3T-14D544-AD

mwilson6192

Established Member
I'm very familiar with this process, using the Ford SYNC Owner site to update my Fusion and Edge vehicles. There are no posted SYNC updates for my 2014 Shelby GT500.

The current SYNC version and build number for my Shelby is identified below (which is the original install from the factory):

ShelbySYNCVersion_zpsf4546e31.jpg

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Here is the version number from car without Nav.
DR3T-14D544-AD

I'm very familiar with this process, using the Ford SYNC Owner site to update my Fusion and Edge vehicles. There are no posted SYNC updates for my 2014 Shelby GT500.

The current SYNC version and build number for my Shelby is identified below (which is the original install from the factory):

ShelbySYNCVersion_zpsf4546e31.jpg

Thanks, guys. Mine (with NAV) shows no updates available for Version "Gen1 - V4.1.3" and "DR3T-14D544-AD". Dating from 16 Oct 12, it's also the factory-installed version.

This seems odd, in light of TSB 13-06-17 and TSB 13-09-22, which appear to date from mid-2013 and late-2013 respectively, and indicate some kind of update should be installed. :??:

SYNCHistory_zps6c001277.gif

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Does your car have Nav, that would explain the version number difference between our cars, mine does not have Nav.

SyncVersion_zps090293e5.gif

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Does your car have Nav, that would explain the version number difference between our cars, mine does not have Nav.

Doesn't look like it, Snoopy. Our cars appear to run the same software, despite the fact that yours doesn't have NAV and mine does.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Doesn't look like it, Snoopy. Our cars appear to run the same software, despite the fact that yours doesn't have NAV and mine does.
Evidently I didn't update mine, the history shows the update was done at the factory on Jan 14, 2013. That was the day of production.

mwilson6192 - 2014 - Version "Gen1 - V4.1.4T" and "DL3T-14D544-AB".
Yours and Mine - 2013 - Version "Gen1 - V4.1.3" and "DR3T-14D544-AD".

Maybe the 2014 uses different firmware?

Snoopy49

Established Member
Thanks, guys. Mine (with NAV) shows no updates available for Version "Gen1 - V4.1.3" and "DR3T-14D544-AD". Dating from 16 Oct 12, it's also the factory-installed version.

This seems odd, in light of TSB 13-06-17 and TSB 13-09-22, which appear to date from mid-2013 and late-2013 respectively, and indicate some kind of update should be installed. :??:

Here is the chart that has me and apparently you concerned. This is from TSB 13-09-22.

SyncUpdateApplicableVehicles_zpsfb8afe72.gif

I never activated the SYNC Services because I don't have a cell phone. I wonder if I would be offered the update if I was able to activate?

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I wonder if this is a TSB issue and is SYNC related but not a normal SYNC update? Maybe this update is only available through your dealer?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I just logged on my sync, I have nav and it says I have the latest update already. My car was built june 2012.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Snoopy/Norton,

My Shelby does have NAV installed.

Posted via Topify on Android

According to the above chart, your car is involved with the TSB.

It looks like your build date was April 9, 2013 and this TSB affects all Mustangs built before June 18, 2013.

I will give my dealer a call tomorrow and ask him about the TSB and see if it is applicable to my car.

Users who are viewing this thread