What would a Cobra-R owner pay for a new 5.0L Boss?

What would a Cobra-R owner pay for a new 5.0L Boss?

• $35K-$37.9K

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • $38K-$40K

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • $40.1K or above

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • My wife would divorce me and run off with Bruce if I bought another Mustang

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I want a 2011 Shelby GT500

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I want a new C6 Z06. ;)

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
What did the rear brakes look like on that car? Were they a two piston opposed Brembo caliper?
I didn't even look at them. I assumed they were stock GT? :shrug:

It's too bad that we don't know anyone that can tell us about the new Boss. :-D

All the other Mustangs were already spoken for so I was left with a Focus.
Mark,
I thought you'd be driving a Boss. ;-)
2012Boss.gif

The car is just as good as everything you read about.
I know. It's between the Boss and the GT.

Since you've been on vacation and away from the internet chat, the Boss is supposed to be announced in August (well, that is what the announcers said on SpeedTV). ;-)

Then there is plenty of chatter about maybe even a Boss R that is going to be announced in December. ;-) Maybe you can trade your Foci in on one of those? :D

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Bruce - It is an RS. I'm heading to the Miller Cup race at Autobahn if you want to swing down for a ride.

I thought the Boss R was announced last december and is running on the track already......

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce - It is an RS. I'm heading to the Miller Cup race at Autobahn if you want to swing down for a ride.

Earlier in the year, I was sort of 'toying' with the idea of heading down there for that but I've sort of had my hands full lately. :(

I thought the Boss R was announced last december and is running on the track already......

:cryying::cryying::cryying:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
All the other Mustangs were already spoken for so I was left with a Focus

2009-Ford-Focus-RS-7.jpg

It was even green.....life really sucks :rockon:

P.S. The car is just as good as everything you read about. AND you are definitely a rock star when you drive it!! Yes, the new job really sucks.....

Was this the one Mr. Wilson?

Would make a nice GT stablemate

93SVTCobra

Established Member
That one belows to SVT. This is a different one but looks the same.

Drove it to Chicago last night. It's a REALLY fun car!! No cruise control though....

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
That one belows to SVT. This is a different one but looks the same.

Drove it to Chicago last night. It's a REALLY fun car!! No cruise control though....

With a few rs's running around MI are there any plans to build one here in the states? Or maybe will svt be building a focus that is similar to the rs? If you cant answer these questions just ;-).:D

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Doc:

What did the rear brakes look like on that car? Were they a two piston opposed Brembo caliper?

They are single piston, same as the rear calipers of a GT500.

And for the record, I watched the broadcast and I think that the announcer (Dorsey Schroeder) didnt have all the facts or didnt articulate that thought clearly. To me it sounded like he said Multimatic was doing the R&D for the Boss 302R.. and then he just started saying there was a street version in the works that would be 30K

The Boss will probably be a stripe job, an intake/intake manifold, 3.73s and some suspension bits.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Just curious, sticker for sticker, what was the price difference between an 08 GT and an 08 Bullitt ?

gt 28k for base premium.
bullitt 31k.

I priced out the gt with basic options I would purchase in 08 and it came to 30.5k. The bullitt basically had all the options I wanted stock. The price difference with the exact same items installed was more like $1k!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
The post that I read seemed to state that it was a production car Boss R. :shrug: Of course, they know about as much as I do about the Boss. ;-)

Does Ford have any plans to race the Focus? That ST Mini Cooper S was really flying at New Jersey (1st in class). Those short wheel-base cars rotate very well on short "technical" tracks.

What is the deal on the other Mustang cars in GS? They haven't had any racing luck?
2010FR500-1.gif

They are single piston, same as the rear calipers of a GT500.
I don't have a clue about this. How much more brake pad does the GT500 rear brake have over the stock GT brake? Does the Super Snake offer a bigger rear brake?

And for the record, I watched the broadcast and I think that the announcer (Dorsey Schroeder) didnt have all the facts or didnt articulate that thought clearly. To me it sounded like he said Multimatic was doing the R&D for the Boss 302R.. and then he just started saying there was a street version in the works that would be 30K
I thought it was Chris(?) that stated this? :shrug: I still have it on DVR so I'll look at it again (it was in the last 30 minutes of the two hour broadcast).

I thought they said that Multimatic was building that new $1.2M+ Aston Martin, and Rehagen Racing was in charge of the Boss R? Who supports the Jack Roush, Jr./Billy Johnson car? That thing is fast and would be dominating the points if they were not wrecked by the BMW and had bad luck at Daytona (~37th, or something).

The Boss will probably be a stripe job, an intake/intake manifold, 3.73s and some suspension bits.

I hope I'm wrong.
I hope you are wrong, also. ;-) That wouldn't equate to anything but a slightly modified Mustang GT, and not worthy of the Boss name. JMO :shrug:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
The post that I read seemed to state that it was a production car Boss R. :shrug: Of course, they know about as much as I do about the Boss. ;-)

Does Ford have any plans to race the Focus? That ST Mini Cooper S was really flying at New Jersey (1st in class). Those short wheel-base cars rotate very well on short "technical" tracks.

What is the deal on the other Mustang cars in GS? They haven't had any racing luck?
2010FR500-1.gif

I don't have a clue about this. How much more brake pad does the GT500 rear brake have over the stock GT brake? Does the Super Snake offer a bigger rear brake?

I thought it was Chris(?) that stated this? :shrug: I still have it on DVR so I'll look at it again (it was in the last 30 minutes of the two hour broadcast).

I thought they said that Multimatic was building that new $1.2M+ Aston Martin, and Rehagen Racing was in charge of the Boss R? Who supports the Jack Roush, Jr./Billy Johnson car? That thing is fast and would be dominating the points if they were not wrecked by the BMW and had bad luck at Daytona (~37th, or something).

I hope you are wrong, also. ;-) That wouldn't equate to anything but a slightly modified Mustang GT, and not worthy of the Boss name. JMO :shrug:

The "old" 05-09 mustangs are doing better than the Boss 302 Rs at the moment. They 302Rs got a 50 lb (I believe) weight penalty shortly after the beginning of the season, and they have not be as agressive with the tuning (supposedly) This dialogue was in the same breath as the statments about the Boss 302 street car.

Roush supports their own car which is a 05-07 car. I don't really think they need any "help" because they have the tech and the means to do so.

The Super Snake has Bear calipers fron and rear. I am not sure if the GT500 rear brakes differ in size from a standard '11 GT.

If they offered the Boss as a "club racer" style car like they do with the GT3 RS and upcoming M3 GTS it would be quite a fun car.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
if you go to the open track section, there is a mustang racing thread. darin(jbs racing) mentions that the Boss R has a street car suspension rather than the racing suspension pieces on the FR500C. He also mentions a serious overheating problem that has not been figured out yet.

i do not know of the boss r has the electric power steering or not, but ive heard that is a problem at the race track on the 11 gt's.

my thinking on a street boss 302 is that it will be a light weight gt with upgraded cooling, brembo brakes standard, 6060 trans, a rear gear, an intake and maybe some headers for the street. very much like a bullitt car with the upgrades available now that were not then. they could offer it a/c and stereo delete like the Honda S2000CR with those things as an option.

plus of course the stripes.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
if you go to the open track section, there is a mustang racing thread. darin(jbs racing) mentions that the Boss R has a street car suspension rather than the racing suspension pieces on the FR500C. He also mentions a serious overheating problem that has not been figured out yet.

I've been following that in OT Racing thread and wondering if the BOSS R will make it to the podium in Grand-Am...before the street version is released. They still have a lot to sort out on the BOSS R. Probably won't make much difference in sales considering the enthusiasm in here...but would nice to have the bragging rights (like back in the '70s). It will be interesting to see if the Coyote is up to serious sustained road race work.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I watched the broadcast and I think that the announcer (Dorsey Schroeder) didnt have all the facts or didnt articulate that thought clearly. To me it sounded like he said Multimatic was doing the R&D for the Boss 302R.
I watched it again. It was Chris Neville that talked about the new street car and the fact that Multimatic was doing the R&D for the new Boss R. Multimatic has the #16 and #21 Boss R (Racers Edge has the #29 Boss R). The remaining five Mustangs are the older cars.

BTW, the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge (CT SCC) announcers are Calvin Fish, Dorsey Schroeder, and Leigh Diffy in the tower; and Chris Neville and Brian Till on pit road. This series dates back to the 1984 IMSA Firestone Firehawk Series. The 95R did well in this series. ;-)

Ken Wilden (Rehagen Racing) is the 2009 Champion, and Ford lost the manufacturer championship last year by 2 points (to BMW).

Roush supports their own car which is a 05-07 car. I don't really think they need any "help" because they have the tech and the means to do so.

If they offered the Boss as a "club racer" style car like they do with the GT3 RS and upcoming M3 GTS it would be quite a fun car.
I guess the Roush team doesn't need any help. ;-)

The 2010 GT3 RS is $160,000? :eek: It has 15 more Hp than a GT3? A friend finally just unloaded his GT3 "Cup" car (which were not street legal). He paid $120K and raced it a few times. He just sold it for $59K. A "club racer" Boss is OK with me as long as it doesn't add a lot to the price and is street legal. JMO.

if you go to the open track section, there is a mustang racing thread.

my thinking on a street boss 302 is that it will be a light weight gt with upgraded cooling, brembo brakes standard, 6060 trans, a rear gear, an intake and maybe some headers for the street. very much like a bullitt car with the upgrades available now that were not then. they could offer it a/c and stereo delete like the Honda S2000CR with those things as an option.
Thanks, I go check out that thread.

I'd also hope for a big oil cooler and some wider wheels. Is an intake possible with emissions requirements? The heads on a Coyote certainly flow a lot of air "as is".

I'd really like to see the CT SCC cars at Road Atlanta, but it ain't going to happen. Don Panoz owns the track (along with Sebring). His AMLS series is in direct competition with Grand-Am (who is owned by the France family- Nascar).

BTW, is it possible that the 2011 electric steering creates too much heat on a race car? Everyone races a pre-electric P/S pump with a cooler. When you place sticky racing tires on an electric pump, there must be some real heat in the system?

I need one of both. :dw: :-D
BudMoore.gif

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
I watched it again. It was Chris Neville that talked about the new street car and the fact that Multimatic was doing the R&D for the new Boss R. Multimatic has the #16 and #21 Boss R (Racers Edge has the #29 Boss R). The remaining five Mustangs are the older cars.

BTW, the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge (CT SCC) announcers are Calvin Fish, Dorsey Schroeder, and Leigh Diffy in the tower; and Chris Neville and Brian Till on pit road. This series dates back to the 1984 IMSA Firestone Firehawk Series. The 95R did well in this series. ;-)

Ken Wilden (Rehagen Racing) is the 2009 Champion, and Ford lost the manufacturer championship last year by 2 points (to BMW).

I guess the Roush team doesn't need any help. ;-)

The 2010 GT3 RS is $160,000? :eek: It has 15 more Hp than a GT3? A friend finally just unloaded his GT3 "Cup" car (which were not street legal). He paid $120K and raced it a few times. He just sold it for $59K. A "club racer" Boss is OK with me as long as it doesn't add a lot to the price and is street legal. JMO.

Thanks, I go check out that thread.

I'd also hope for a big oil cooler and some wider wheels. Is an intake possible with emissions requirements? The heads on a Coyote certainly flow a lot of air "as is".

I need one of both. :dw: :-D

Thanks for the correction.

If the Boss is a "club racer" type car I can see it costing around 40K, maybe 100-200 lbs lighter than a base car and a few more HP, rear seat delete carbon hood and trunk, adjustable shocks, special springs/sway bars. Brembos, oil cooler and special wheels/tires. It could be a fun car if done up like that.

I would think they could do an open element air cleaner like what is on the GT500 pretty easily. Maybe even an intake manifold similar to what is on the 302R

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Could this be the announcement? :shrug::banana:

Dean,
This must be it. Dan Gurney is the Grand Marshal. He drove a number of Fords including this Holman-Moody car:
DanGurney.gif

And what better event would be more appropriate to introduce a Boss that at a vintage race? There will be a number of Boss 302s racing in the Trans-Am race. :burnout:

There are four guys going to the race from here (the hauler left yesterday). One (Byron) owns a ex-Dan Gurney Can-Am McLaren. I'll see if they will sneak over and make some pictures.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread