A Few Under-Hood Pics of the 2015 S550 Mustang GT.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
While we were at the 2014 NAIAS we had the opportunity to snap a few pics of a 2015 Mustang GT's engine bay. And by opportunity I mean that we caught all the Ford employees looking the other way and jimmied the hood latch. While it was cool to see what to expect from the S550 it was instantly apparent that this car was in no way a finished product. Many things under-hood just scream "mule car". In fact, I believe this particular car was equipped with a few parts from the 2011-2014 Mustang GT engine/drivetrain. Check it out:

My old enemy, the prop rod returns. I was hoping it would be absent on the 2015, but I suppose it'll help keep Red Line Tuning in business.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_003.jpg

The layout is very familiar. It appears that a resonator box has been added to the sound-symposer tube.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_002.jpg

As I've mentioned, this car is a prototype. I'm hoping this degas bottle isn't the final design, as it is quite ugly. I suspect it is what we should be expecting.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_004.jpg

Looks like we'll be getting a one piece radiator cover.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_005.jpg

You can see how the engine-bay narrows towards the front.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_006.jpg

The car does strike a handsome 3/4 profile with the hood up. It'll look even better once owners ditch the prop rod.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_007.jpg

The airbox is very similar in design to the 2011-2014 cars.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_008.jpg

It appears that the new strut-tower brace triangulates with the firewall. I feel this is an improved design.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_009.jpg

It's obvious that this isn't finished wiring.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_010.jpg

This appears to be about a 70% finished version of the engine cover we can expect one the 2015 Mustang. I poked around quite a bit and the intake on this particular engine appeared to be from a 2011-2014 GT. I couldn't see an evidence of the IMRC system that will be on the S550.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_011.jpg

This decal identifies the airbox as an engineering part.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_012.jpg

Just for good measure we'll include this pic of an EcoBoost powered 2015 F-150. The intake scoop is a nice addition.

2014_NAIAS_Tues_Mustang_Uh_001.jpg

-SID297:beer:

darreng505

Established Member
Looks cheap, dirty and ugly....sad to say. And messy. I'm sure the production one will be better, but keep that hood closed....ugh

specizripn

Established Member
Considering they haven't started production on the 15s, this is clearly a mule like the OP said, so hopefully it will be cleaned up a bit.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Looks cheap, dirty and ugly....sad to say. And messy. I'm sure the production one will be better, but keep that hood closed....ugh

Perhaps you missed the part where it was implied that Ford didn't really intend for the hood to be opened?

Considering they haven't started production on the 15s, this is clearly a mule like the OP said, so hopefully it will be cleaned up a bit.

These cars aren't even versions from the pilot plant. They're essentially hand assembled prototypes.

I like the yellow paint. It seems to really highlight the fender flares out back.

I really want to see that hue outside in daylight.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The car overall, turned out great on the pics. Cant wait to see it in person to pass final judgment.

The engine could look like a cow patty for all I care, if it performs, the car is sexy.

darreng505

Established Member
Perhaps you missed the part where it was implied that Ford didn't really intend for the hood to be opened?

I get that. I wasn't saying this is the finished version, just that the one in the pic looks crappy to me and the hood should be kept shut....I'm sure the production engine compartment will look better.

Voltwings

Established Member
I dont care what it looks like, it wont look like that for long once the aftermarket gets their hands on it. Seriously, who's engine bay looks just as it came from Ford right now? ... Exactly. We're buying a platform, not an engine bay.

bossman302

Banned
I know my gt 500 engine bay is stock and looks amazing! Ford put a lot of work into the 15. Im sure this is what it will look like. The 15 looks like a total mess under the hood.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I imagine it will have a more boss-sec type of manifold to get a few more ponies out and maybe a different firing order.

Travis, please do me a favor, the next ford rep you speak to tell them on the headlights to move the bulb to the inside and the marks on the outside and get rid of that light by the fogs. then the car would be perfect

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
The shock tower brace is a throwback for the 50th anniversary since the 64.5 had the same design.

Curz

Established Member
thanks for posting pics

That engine bay does look terrible especially the prominence of plastic and that crappy cheap looking Kool-Aid bottle for overflow

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I imagine it will have a more boss-sec type of manifold to get a few more ponies out and maybe a different firing order.

That is not going to happen, would not make sense for ford to come out with a new crank for the coyote just to change the firing order again.

Users who are viewing this thread