The new performance Mustang will be a Boss 302?

The next Cobra-R, but in a street car?

• 2011 5.0 is all we'll see.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 2012 5.0L Boss 302 is coming, just wait and see.

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • I ain't saying since I'm sworn to secrecy.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No one cares, I own an older fast Ford........

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I have been reading all of these rumors and allegations of a new Boss 302 (as near as we know to a Cobra-R).

Ford has announced the 2011 Coyote 5.0L.
2011mustang.gif

I hear the 2011 Mustang will have a 412 Hh 5.0L engine with a 6-speed.

Will we soon see a Coyote 5.0L 500 Hp car called the Boss 302 (or Cobra)?

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford has got another great news bit to share with everyone: for the first time ever, a Mustang will pace the Daytona 500! That’s right, for the first time in 40 years, a Blue Oval will lead the pack around the oval at the Daytona International Speedway. Just 50 of these cars will be built in the series to commemorate the exciting honor and achievement for Ford, so get your wallet and/or credit applications warmed up, folks.

2011Mustanga.gif

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

I like it Doc! :bowdown:

Why don't you buy one and I will store and take care of it for you. :idea:

You can visit anytime to drive it. When you come to Road America I'll deliver it to you at the track and you'll have some street wheels for the weekend. :coolman:

Whaddaya say?!?!?! :p

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member

Doc,

Is that Torch Red, or Georgia RED? :poke: Anyway you look at it, it is the right color for you. :beer:

Like bruce said, it has you written all over it. You did order a new Red Cobra, and paid the sales tax once. :bash: You could do it twice. :rockon: Well, there will be a couple of used ones around, in a few years. Then you won't have to pay that dreaded sales tax. :bowdown: I wish I didn't have to pay my tag fees this year. They doubled. :bash::cuss::mj:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Why don't you buy one and I will store and take care of it for you. :idea:

Whaddaya say?!?!?!
Only if you store your new Ford GT at my house. :coolman:

I think the Daytona Pace Car is more of a collector car (50 being made). I prefer a Mustang that you can swap paint with the tire wall. :burnout:

Is that Torch Red, or Georgia RED?
Gene,
Torch Red is the perfect Bulldog Red. I am glad that I didn't go to U. FL. since I wouldn't like an orange car with blue stripes. :shrug:

I think I'll hold out for that 2012 Boss 302. :bowdown:
Boss Mustang Forum -> 2012 Boss Mustang 302: News, Discussion & Rumors

I agree with the sales tax thing. There is nothing worse than paying an extra $2500 bucks for a car. :mj:

The tag fees around here aren't bad on an older car ($21-$55), but they will get me on a newer car (~$250).

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
well...that was a charity thing. it could have been a v6 car. it was about the gift far more than the car.

earlier in the auction an unraced, untracked, always trailered FR500C gaveled at $70k. Shortly after that an FR500S was auctioned for St Judes Children's Research Hospital for $275k. Its about the gift.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Car # 1 at BJ went for $300,000 :eek:
Wow, someone really wanted one. I wonder if he had been in the free cocktails? :-D

Yeah. How insane is that?
I could think of a few more cars that I'd rather have at that price. Ouch.

earlier in the auction an unraced, untracked, always trailered FR500C gaveled at $70k.
That seems like a decent price to me? How many unraced perfect FR500-C's are still around? This was a $125K car at one point (later discounted by Ford to around $100K?).

A new FR500-C would be a nice car to arrive with at any Ford event for many years going forward.

Shortly after that an FR500S was auctioned for St Judes Children's Research Hospital for $275k. Its about the gift.

This makes no sense to me? I think this car was the media car that we've already discussed. It was wrecked at least once? It's a S and not a C.

Let's assume the buyer was in the top federal tax bracket (39.5% in 2010). He could be in FL with no state income tax or in NY with a 10.5% bracket.

A guy can write off the value paid for a car (or art or wine) beyond its value. Based on the fact that a perfect C may be worth $70K, an old wrecked S would be worth ~$50K?

So, the owner could write off ($275K - $50K) = $225K. 39.5% + 10.5% = 50%. He can write off $113K from his 2010 taxes leaving him with $163K cash in the car (or more in another state). :dw:

Heck, I'd rather buy the C for $70K and make my own charitable contribution to charity. :read: :-D

But I don't own a private Gulfstream jet to shuttle me around the country. ;-) I can't even afford a Holiday Inn (I sleep in my trailer :beer: ).

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
{But I don't own a private Gulfstream jet to shuttle me around the country. I can't even afford a Holiday Inn (I sleep in my trailer ).}

Doc,

I know what you mean. :beer:

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Well, it looks like the cat is sorta out of the bag.
BOSS 302 Mustang Confirmed

Since selling the race car, the Boss has been on my radar screen. I'm saving my pennies and will be ready to buy something next summer. I'm hoping that Ford does it right otherwise I guess I'll be looking elsewhere.:shrug: Although I won't be racing, I would like to get a car that will be somewhat comfortable on the track.

Although as expected and noted in the last paragraph in the link, the dealers could put a damper on this purchase. If it happens, I guess I'll have to wait it out until a few dealers get desperate and sell them at a reasonable price.

The wait begins!:coolman:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Since selling the race car, the Boss has been on my radar screen. I'm saving my pennies and will be ready to buy something next summer. I'm hoping that Ford does it right otherwise I guess I'll be looking elsewhere.:shrug: Although I won't be racing, I would like to get a car that will be somewhat comfortable on the track.

Although as expected and noted in the last paragraph in the link, the dealers could put a damper on this purchase. If it happens, I guess I'll have to wait it out until a few dealers get desperate and sell them at a reasonable price.

The wait begins!:coolman:

Let's hope the dealer gouging won't be like the GT500 was?!?! :cryying::fart:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
...He announced that they were ready to build another special edition Mustang but told the audience that he could not say what it was.

He then told the dealers that he could drop a hint. And then a 1970 BOSS 302 came rap-crackling across the stage behind him as he smiled ear to ear. “How is that for a hint?”, he asked as the room erupted in applause.
Great post! :D

This is the car that every road race guy can get excited about. I was last this excited when the 1995 Cobra R was on the dealer lots as guys were racing them (and the clones) in pro racing.

I had been negotiating on a 2011 5.0L GT. It's a great car with it's:
  • A DOHC 5.0L aluminum block and heads with 412 Hp and a 7000 redline.
  • A six-speed with 5th at 1.00 (6th is a 0.65).
  • An 8 quart oil capacity.
  • The optional Brembo brake package and 3:73 gear.

However, the new EPAS electronic steering system doesn't excite me. The "Drift-Pull" compensation that adjusts the steering for crosswind and road crowning seems to me to possibly aggravate a guy at Road America? The "Active Nimble" control that claims to eliminate shimmy at high speed to adjust for tire balance and rotor warp seems to defeat the ability of a road race guy to dial in his car properly? If you have a warped rotor at Rd America, why not just install a new rotor? My track tires wear out before they need balancing. ;-)

If you consider that the Boss will have some bump in Hp, and offer the Brembo brake package and 3:73 gears as standard; I'd be buyer. It'd be nice to see it a little lighter on the scales.

Let's hope the dealer gouging won't be like the GT500 was?
Bruce,
The economy is different now than it was when the GT500 was released. :cryying:

Since you guys in WI elected Obama :-D , the deficit has increased by $1T and the important unemployment rate (and the under-employment rate) has soared to new highs not seen since Carter.

This new Boss may be a threat to your 00R! ;-) OK, it probably will not be a problem at RD America where you are The King, but it may be when you come to Road Atlanta. :poke:

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
I've got no clue what colors Ford will be offering but the old Boss colors are always a possiblility. :idea:

I would love to see this color in person. - Calypso Coral.
Love this car.
DSC00046.jpg

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Buy a 2011 GT500 or wait for the 2012 Boss 302?

Recently I've been thinking about replacing my 2008 GT/CS daily driver. I have had my eye on a few Race Red 2011 GT500's in the area but with the rumors of the 2012 Boss 302, I'm trying to decide which I would like better. Of course its hard to make that decision when I don't even know the specs on the Boss 302. My biggest concern with the GT500 is daily driving a s/c car, the aluminum block, the price of the tires, no spare tire, and that it may not be as nimble (fun to drive) as a Boss 302 or even a GT. I test drove a 2008 GT500 a while back and it felt so heavy and didn't turn very well at all. The GT500's in the area are not moving very well so I'm pretty sure I can get a great deal.

So what do you guys think? If I can get a great deal on a 2011 GT500 should I just do it and not look back or wait on the Boss 302?

Users who are viewing this thread