bad day installing clutch.

stal94gt

Established Member
spent all day under my car putting my stupid clutch in. first problem came up when one of the exhaust studs broke off at the manifold. had to drill it out and then tap it so i could run another stud in it. that was not the worst of it. once i got my trans down and pulled the front cover off i accidently left it in first gear so when i popped it apart the stupid fork went out of alighnment. had to mess with that for an hour to get it to pop back in. im not even sure if it was the fork but it was on the left side of the trans and there was a bronze post that screwed in from the top of the trans. figured out that i had to put the trans in 5th pull on the shaft and push back on the fork to get it to pop back into place. for anyone looking to swap input shafts be sure to leave the trans in nutral. after that i went threw 5 shims to find the one that fit best. i measured about a hundred times just to find out the one i wound up using was the same thickness as the stock one. .034 inches. once the trans was all put back together i hung the new spec 3+ clutch with a new spec flywheel. that sucked all on its own since spec painted their pressure plate the marginal layer of paint made it so the bolt would go off center ever so slightly. wound up drilling out the paint so i would not cross thread any of the bolts. stupid day and just wanted to rant. sorry.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Ehh, I paid $450 to have it installed and filled with Synchromax...
Sorry about your troubles...report back how you like the clutch, as I love my Spec3+ with Steel fw

stal94gt

Established Member
So far the 3+ is a chatter box. Im sure it will be nice once it breaks in. I also went with the steel fly wwheel.

Users who are viewing this thread