hotcobra03 go boom

hotcobra03

Established Member
well we know its friday the 13th here....

had overheated last week and found out where coolant is going....after i shut off car i wait 2 mins and than white smoke comes out exhaust pipes...

2yrs this month i had engine out...driverside head had valve seat fall but also cracked the head,,it was welded ..

i did all the work last time other than fix head...yes it was the first engine i ever did..i did use oem gaskets and bolts...costly

if i do need a new head what are my options now to keep cost as low as i can...

hotcobra03

Established Member
head

got the head off and found cyl # 7 looks like the problem this time,,,,,

will be taking head to get checked out...

here is the part number on head,,,it was replaced before by ford,,

RF-2C5E-6C064-DB

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Like always with Ford parts, the only person I can suggest you speak to is Steve at Tousley. Sucks to hear man, but you will be up and running in no time! Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on the car now?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Like always with Ford parts, the only person I can suggest you speak to is Steve at Tousley. Sucks to hear man, but you will be up and running in no time! Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on the car now?

276k now...

got my fingers crossed that heads ok and it blew a gasket....i have to look at records ,,i think the gasket i got last time was an update also..

i looked into steves site for price ..

i deal with northside ford here in san antiono,,,they arent as cheap but are good to me...

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Sorry to hear...keep us updated and I can't wait for that 300K mark!

hotcobra03

Established Member
update

machine shop called with the bad news...cyl 7 cracked from valve into spark plug threads...

how safe is it to do just 1 head...it would be a loaded head from ford...

than even putting my parts into empty head....

TVSCobra

Established Member
You should have no problems just replacing one head. I thought the heads from Ford came fully loaded. So the head cracked from the valve seat to the sparkplug threads? If I'm reading your last thread correctly, what was welded on the head last time? If your passenger side head is the older style head, then you may want to replace it also. How many times has this engine been overheated? Do you know what the cause was for the overheating?

I would atleast perform a compression test and leakdown test on the passenger side. If all is well on that side, then just replace the drivers side head. But if you have uneven or low compression on the passenger side also, you may want to give that side some attention.

Good luck man, sorry to hear this.

Last edited:

Avispa

Established Member
While you have the head off, check the cylinder walls for vertical score marks, indicating piston scuffing. This is really common after serious overheating, especially with Terminator motors because the piston to cylinder wall clearance is so tight to start with. If you're scuffed on one side, you can count on it on the other side. If you have that, you might just want to consider a crate motor or a remanufactured block to go with that new head.

Sorry to hear about the motor problems. Good luck getting it fixed.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
head

2yrs ago i dropped a valve in cyl 6..this was on a replacement head from 05 when 1st time happened.....cyl 6 cracked the same way ,,

i also pulled passenger side to have checked...

i also did compression test and have 160-180 at that time

this time i only over heated once than i noticed a slight miss,,than after shut down if you waited a min smoke would start to flow out of pipes

i did a search and seen frpp m-6049/6050 t-46 which are empty about 800

..than m6550 t-46 as loaded 1500

im still looking

Jefe

Established Member
300k thats awesome, you dont own that 02 Cobra do you?

Users who are viewing this thread